Dates included below correspond to the issue of AIS’s Health Business Daily in which “People News” appeared.
- David Stacey joined Mercer’s Dallas office as partner and senior consultant in its Health and Benefits business. Prior to joining Mercer, he was a senior vice president at Cigna Corp., where he led the National Accounts West Region team for medical, dental and group insurance business…. Magforce AG named Ben J. Lipps, former CEO and chairman of Fresenius Medical Care, chairman of the firm’s management board and CEO of the company, starting September 2013. Berlin, Germany-based Magforce develops medical devices in the oncology field. While serving as Chairman and CEO of Magforce, Ben Lipps will continue his consultantship with Fresenius Medical Care.
- Pulse Systems, Inc. hired Samuel Ambrose as chief marketing officer. Ambrose was vice president of sales, marketing and business development at VeriTeQ Corp....Ober|Kaler promoted Howard Sollins, a principal in the firm, to co-chair of its health law group.
- Armada Health Care named Mike Baldzicki executive vice president of industry relations and advocacy. He was vice president of strategic contracting and payer relations at Axelacare Health Solutions….Alliance Life Sciences Consulting Group appointed Joel Owerbach, Pharm.D., vice president of health policy and strategy. Owerbach was vice president and chief pharmacy officer for Excellus Health Plans.
- CROnos Clinical Consulting named Pamela Keenan vice president of scientific affairs. Keenan was senior medical science liaison for global medical affairs at JANSSEN Alzheimer Immunotherapy….Neogen Corp. said that Lon Bohannon, president and chief operating officer (COO), will retire, effective Aug. 31. Stephen Snyder was named president and COO. Snyder was vice president of marketing for the industrial oils and lubricants business of Cargill.
- BridgeSpan Health Company named Chris Blanton president, effective June 17. Blanton was president and general manager of Cigna Pacific Northwest....iSALUS Healthcare appointed Kimberly Poland vice president of client engagement. Poland was vice president of operations at iSALUS.
- Trius Therapeutics, Inc. named Matthew Onaitis general counsel and secretary. Onaitis was senior vice president, general counsel and secretary of Somaxon Pharmaceuticals, Inc....Health Solutions appointed Caroline Worrall chief financial officer (CFO). Worrall was CFO and chief operating officer at MEDVAL.
- Oclaro, Inc. said that Alain Couder, the company's chair and CEO, has retired and that the board of directors named Greg Dougherty CEO. Dougherty has served as an Oclaro board member since 2009.... Novira Therapeutics Inc. appointed Klaus Klumpp vice president of discovery research. For more than 15 years, Klumpp led research and development activities at Roche.
- Altitude Edge Companies named Dwight Dettloff senior accountant. Dettloff was senior associate at Baker Holtz, CPAs and Advisors....Colorado HealthOP appointed Jack Westfall, M.D., chief medical officer. Westfall serves as clinical professor of family medicine for the University of Colorado School of Medicine.
- Cleveland Clinic Chief Financial Officer Steve Glass has joined Explorys’ board of directors. Glass replaces Chris Coburn, former director of Cleveland Clinic Innovations, who served on the Explorys board of directors since 2009....Tango Health named Sam Gillen vice president of sales. Gillen was senior vice president of North American sales at SilkRoad Technology.
- WellCare Health Plans, Inc.'s board of directors has elected David Gallitano chairman of the board, succeeding Charles G. Berg. In March, Berg said he would not stand for re-election to the company’s board of directors. Gallitano has been a WellCare director since 2009....Curis, Inc. named Mani Mohindru vice president of corporate strategy and investor relations. Mohindru was senior research analyst for biotechnology at ThinkEquity LLC.
- Elite Pharmaceuticals, Inc. said that Chris Dick has stepped down as president and chief operating officer and as a member of the board of directors. Dick will remain as a consultant with Elite....Innovus Pharmaceuticals, Inc. appointed Morgan Brown executive vice president and chief financial officer (CFO). Brown was executive vice president and CFO at World Heart, Inc.
- Hill, Chesson & Woody named Adam Moffitt regional manager for its Triad business development efforts. Moffitt was technical writer at the ettain group....Catholic Health Services appointed Alan Guerci, M.D., president and CEO. Guerci was executive vice president for Catholic Health Services and president and CEO of its St. Francis Hospital in Roslyn, N.Y., St. Joseph Hospital in Bethpage, N.Y., and Mercy Medical Center in Rockville Centre. He will take over for Richard Sullivan Jr., who has been volunteering as the health system's CEO since December.
- BlueCross BlueShield of Tennessee hired Bryon Grizzard to direct the provider networks and contracting department. Grizzard was director of provider contracting for both Humana Inc. and Cigna Healthcare of Tennessee....Synergy Pharmaceuticals, Inc. named Patrick Griffin, M.D., chief medical officer (CMO). Griffin was CMO and senior vice president of development at ImmusanT.
- Pete Palmer joined MedAllies as chief security officer. Palmer was director of information security at Surescripts....Children's Hospitals and Clinics of Minnesota promoted Dave Overman to president and chief operating officer (COO). Overman adds president to his title after serving in the role of COO since 2008. Prior president Alan L. Goldbloom, M.D., will continue to serve as CEO.
- The Pharmaceutical Research and Manufacturers of America (PhRMA) promoted Lori Reilly to executive vice president of policy and research, effective June 7. She succeeds Rick Smith, who will retire after 11 years with PhRMA. Reilly was vice president of policy and research....BlueCross BlueShield of Tennessee named Allison Scripps director of quality care partnership. Scripps was director of population care, prevention and health promotion for Kaiser Permanente.
- ConnectedHealth named David Shevock senior vice president. Shevock was vice president at Connextions....The Joint Commission appointed Mark Pelletier chief operating officer (COO) for the division of Accreditation and Certification Operations. For the past year, Pelletier has served as the interim COO.
- CalOptima named Patti McFarland chief financial officer (CFO). McFarland was CFO at Central Coast Alliance for Health....Halozyme Therapeutics, Inc. promoted David Ramsay to CFO. Ramsay was vice president of corporate development.
- DxInsights named Ethan Knowlden executive director. Knowlden was vice president of business development and licensing, and corporate counsel for Novartis Vaccines and Diagnostics, Inc....Avalere Health appointed Matthew Eyles executive vice president. Eyles joins Avalere from Coventry Healthcare, where he oversaw government relations and communications.
- URAC named Kylanne Green president and CEO, effective July 22. Green was executive vice president and CEO of managed care services at Inova Health System....Van Dyk Health Care, Inc. promoted Pam Tokarczuk to post-acute corporate director. She was assistant administrator at Van Dyk Ridgewood.
- Achillion Pharmaceuticals, Inc. named David Apelian, M.D., executive vice president and chief medical officer (CMO). Apelian was senior vice president of research and development and CMO at GlobeImmune....Humana Inc. appointed Roy Beveridge, M.D., senior vice president and CMO, effective June 17. Beveridge is CMO for McKesson Specialty Health.
- Carousel Industries named Philip Wolford director of health care. Woldford was telemedicine coordinator for Saint Vincent Health System....Harvard Bioscience, Inc. appointed David Green interim CEO following the retirement of Chane Graziano. Green was president.
- New York Medical College and The New York Eye and Ear Infirmary promoted Paul Sidoti, M.D., to chairman of the Department of Ophthalmology at NYEEI. Sidoti, who is also professor of ophthalmology at New York Medical College, had been NYEEI ophthalmology residency program director for the past seven years....St. John Providence Health System named Jean Meyer interim president and CEO. Meyer was president of hospital operations and executive vice president of St. John Providence.
- Molina Healthcare, Inc. named Bela Biro president of Molina Healthcare of Washington. He replaces Glen Bogner, who was promoted to regional vice president of Molina Healthcare, overseeing health plans in California, New Mexico, Utah and Washington. Biro was director of finance at Swedish Medical Centers....DentalPlans.com appointed Craig Martin vice president of business development. His most recent role was with CONEXIS Administrators where he was responsible for national account sales of COBRA, FSA, HRA, HSA, and retiree exchange and commuter benefits.
- The National Patient Safety Foundation named Tejal Gandhi, M.D., president. She replaces Diane Pinakiewicz, who resigned late last year. Gandhi was chief quality and safety officer of Partners HealthCare System....Covington & Burling appointed Robert Trainor senior of counsel. Trainor was executive vice president and general counsel of Brussels-based UCB S.A.
- Precision Health Economics named Anne Peters, M.D., a senior clinical consultant and Kari Edwards vice president of research and business strategy. Peters is a professor at the Keck School of Medicine of the University of Southern California and Edwards was national strategic lead for the Oncology Medical Science Liaison team at Amgen....MetroHealth System appointed Akram Boutros, M.D., president and CEO. Boutros was founder and president of BusinessFirst Healthcare Solutions.
- The Robert Wood Johnson Foundation appointed Susan Dentzer senior health policy adviser. Dentzer was editor-in-chief of Health Affairs....Toni Ganzel, M.D., has been named dean of the University of Louisville School of Medicine. Ganzel has served as interim dean since March 2012, replacing Edward Halperin, M.D., who stepped down as dean in early 2012.
- The American College of Physician Executives appointed Mark Werner, M.D., president and chairman of the board. Werner was recently named senior vice president and chief clinical and innovation officer at Medica....Timothy Cote, M.D., former director of the Office of Orphan Product Development of the FDA, has joined Emmaus Medical, Inc. in an advisory capacity.
- Endocyte, Inc. named Scot Harper vice president of clinical operations. Harper was global portfolio director for oncology at PAREXEL International....Patient-Centered Outcomes Research Institute appointed Regina Yan chief operating officer (COO). Yan was COO at Peterson Institute for International Economics.
- Piramal Imaging SA, a division of Piramal Enterprises, said Ana M. Catafau, M.D., Ph.D., joined the company as vice president of clinical research and development, neurosciences. Catafau most recently was the president and CEO of Barcelona Imaging Group, S.L. (BIG)...Dyadic International, Inc., a global biotechnology company focused on enzyme and protein products, appointed Danai Brooks executive vice president and chief operating officer. Brooks joins Dyadic from J.P. Morgan, where he served as a vice president in the firm's investment bank.
- National Medical Billing Services, a health care revenue cycle management company that specializes in ambulatory surgery centers (ASCs), named Lewis Custer senior vice president, operations. Custer joins National Medical from Quest Diagnostics, where he was the director of revenue cycle services....ViTel Net, a provider of clinician-based telemedicine, appointed Robert Kolodner, M.D., vice president and chief medical officer. Kolodner served as HHS's National Coordinator for Health IT from 2006 to 2009. He most recently was executive vice president and chief health informatics officer at Open Health Tools, Inc.
- York Risk Services Group named Jim Ossner vice president of sales for York Alternative Risk Solutions. Ossner was assistant vice president for strategic alliance business development at Chubb Specialty Insurance....Cancer Treatment Centers of America said Stephen Bonner, president and CEO, will assume the role of executive chairman effective July 1, at which time Gerard van Grinsven will assume the role of president and CEO. Van Grinsven was president and CEO of the Henry Ford West Bloomfield Hospital in Detroit.
- Aetna Inc. appointed Thomas Jones, III chief ethics and compliance officer. Jones joins Aetna from The Hartford Financial Services Group, Inc. where he was senior vice president and chief ethics and compliance officer.....William McGuire, M.D., former chairman and CEO of UnitedHealth Group, has joined the board of directors of Rebiotix Inc. McGuire resigned from UnitedHealth in 2006.
- Hospira promoted Matt Stober to senior vice president of operations. He was corporate vice president of U.S. pharmacy operations....Sigma-Tau Pharmaceuticals, Inc. promoted Dave Lemus to CEO. Lemus has served as chief operating officer since March 2012.
- Navigating Cancer named Suzanne Greenwood vice president of bio-pharmaceutical services. Greenwood was global vice president of strategic accounts for InVentiv Health....Evolution Marketing Research appointed David Hooper senior director, research. Hooper was director of global market information and research at Warner Chilcott, LLC.
- The Patient-Centered Outcomes Research Institute named Bryan Luce chief science officer. Luce was senior vice president for science and policy at United BioSource Corporation....CoverMyMeds, LLC appointed Theodore Frank chief financial officer (CFO). Frank was chief operating officer and CFO of SparkBase.
- Tufts Medical Center named Saul N. Weingart, M.D., chief medical officer (CMO). Weingart was vice president for quality improvement and patient safety at Dana-Farber Cancer Institute in Boston. He succeeds Michael Wagner, M.D., who was named CEO of the Tufts Medical Center Physicians Organization last year....Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Texas appointed Dan McCoy, M.D., vice president and CMO. McCoy was interim CMO and senior medical director.
- SkelRegen, LLC. named John Wozney director of scientific affairs and co-owner. He joins SkelRegen from the Genetics Institute, where he conducted research leading to the identification of BMP....CoverMyMeds, LLC appointed Theodore Frank chief financial officer (CFO). Frank was chief operating officer and CFO of SparkBase.
- Matrix Medical Network named Ed Hahn director of command center operations and Shane Perry director of member relations. Hahn was director of operational excellence at Cross Match Technologies, Inc. Prior to Matrix, Perry was sales director and director of case manager advisors for The SCOOTER Store....Ken Haderer will join Mercer effective May 1 as leader of the firm’s U.S. outsourcing business. Haderer was executive vice president of global benefits solutions and benefits outsourcing practices at Aon Hewitt.
- Inovalon, Inc. appointed Bill Teuber Jr. to the company’s board of directors. Teuber is vice chairman at EMC Corp....Learning Care Group, Inc. named John Lichtenberg chief marketing officer. Lichtenberg was vice president, chief marketing and enrollment management officer at Walsh College in Michigan.
- Healthx named Dona Siebler Stohler chief marketing officer. Siebler Stohler was chief marketing officer at Ice Miller....Julie Nations has been appointed director of community relations and outreach by Boston Medical Center HealthNet Plan and Well Sense Health Plan. Nations was executive director of the Ellie Fund.
- Evolution Marketing Research named Ian Fureman director of research, Leigh McCullough associate methodologist and Shannon Sesa field coordinator. Fureman was a principal at Integrated Marketing Associates. McCullough most recently served as a biostatistician at ICON Clinical Research and Sesa was field manager of pharmaceutical market research at Adelphi Research by Design....Advanced Clinical appointed Julie Ross executive vice president of CRO operations. Ross was senior vice president of global strategic services at inVentiv Health Clinical.
- Cleveland BioLabs, Inc. named Jean Viallet, M.D., chief development officer. Most recently, Viallet established Viallet Oncology Consulting, LLC after serving as the chief medical officer of Precision Therapeutics, Inc....Delta Point promoted Matt Murphy to vice president. Murphy was executive account director.
- Humana Inc. named Rajni Aneja, M.D., strategic executive and clinical transformation leader. Aneja was executive vice president of the Joslin Diabetes Center....Aetna Inc. appointed Douglas Cusick head of international population health solutions for its international business segment, Aetna International. Cusick was a partner at Clinovations.
- The Patient Advocate Foundation and National Patient Advocate Foundation named Alan Balch CEO. He replaces Nancy Davenport-Ennis, who is stepping down as day-to-day CEO. Since 2006, Balch has been the vice president of the Preventive Health Partnership....Post & Schell, P.C. appointed Paula Sanders chair of the firm’s Health Care Practice Group. Sanders was principal at Post & Schell.
- EwingCole named Lisa Alzona senior medical planner in its California office. Alzona was senior medical planner at HOK and HDR....MetaStat, Inc. appointed David Epstein advisor for its drug discovery and development efforts. Epstein was senior vice president and chief scientific officer for OSI Pharmaceuticals.
- Specialty Pharmacy Association of America named Bill Sullivan interim executive director. Sullivan is principal consultant for Specialty Pharmacy Solutions....Veracyte, Inc. appointed Shelly Guyer chief financial officer (CFO). Guyer was CFO and executive vice president of finance and administration at iRhythm Technologies.
- Eisai Inc. named Lynn Kramer, M.D., chief clinical officer of Eisai Product Creation Systems. In addition to these new responsibilities, Kramer will continue to serve as president of the Neuroscience and General Medicine Product Creation Unit....MedeAnalytics appointed Elizabeth Rushforth senior vice president and general counsel. She was vice president, general counsel, corporate secretary and chief compliance officer for Unwired Planet, Inc.
- Medica named Mark Werner, M.D., senior vice president and chief clinical and innovation officer. He was a senior vice president and chief clinical integration executive for Fairview Health Services....The National Association of Specialty Pharmacy appointed James Smeeding executive director. Smeeding is the founder of the Center for Pharmacoeconomic Studies at the University of Texas, College of Pharmacy.
- Dynamic Healthcare Services, Inc. named David Erb director of sales. Erb was senior district manager at Novartis Pharmaceutical Corp....DentalPlans.com appointed Barry Neman as chief technology officer. Neman was chief information officer for Saveology.com.
- Delta Point, Inc. named Cathy Geddes senior vice president. Geddes was the pediatric marketing team lead at Pfizer....Hill, Chesson & Woody hired Nathaniel Banks as a business development associate. Banks was a legal assistant at Nodell, Glass, & Haskell, LLC.
- Pennsylvania Gov Tom Corbett (R) named Michael Wolf secretary of the Department of Health. Wolf was named acting secretary in October 2012....The Global CEO Initiative on Alzheimer’s Disease appointed Drew Holzapfel executive director. Most recently, Holzapfel was at Pfizer, where he led commercial strategy efforts around the company’s Alzheimer’s program.
- CenseoHealth named Nathan Goldstein chief strategy officer. Goldstein was CEO of Gorman Health Group LLC....The Medical University of South Carolina promoted Patrick Cawley, M.D., to vice president of clinical operations and executive director of the Medical University Hospital Authority. He replaces CEO Stuart Smith, who recently retired. Cawley was chief medical officer.
- Prime Therapeutics promoted Ellyn Hosch to chief information officer. Hosch was vice president of application development and support....Lanny A. Breuer, most recently the assistant attorney general for the Criminal Division at the Department of Justice, is returning to Covington & Burling as vice chair of the firm. Breuer rejoins the firm after four years at DOJ.
- Biologics, Inc. promoted Daniel S. Duffy to chief business development officer. He was executive vice president and general manager. The company also named Ron Smith, Pharm.D., chief operating officer. He was chief operating officer at Physicians Pharmacy Alliance....Diplomat Specialty Pharmacy named James Kosmerick director of marketing. He was creative/marketing director for TransIT Solutions.
- Children's Healthcare of Atlanta promoted Brian Kogon, M.D., to chief of cardiothoracic surgery at Children's Sibley Heart Center. Kogon was a pediatric cardiothoracic surgeon.... Patriot National Insurance Group appointed Timothy O'Malley northeast regional vice president. O'Malley was senior vice president at BWD Group.
- The FDA named Kathleen Uhl interim director of the office of generic drugs. Uhl was deputy director in the office of medical policy in the Center for Drug Evaluation & Research....David Joyner, former senior vice president at Blue Shield of California, will become chief operating officer of Hill Physicians Medical Group in mid-April.
- The Patient-Centered Outcomes Research Institute named Anne Beal, M.D., chief officer for engagement. Beal will transition from her current position as chief operating officer as soon as a new full-time COO is identified....BlueCross BlueShield of Tennessee promoted Kelly Paulk to director of product strategy. Paulk was senior product manager.
- NPS Pharmaceuticals named Sandy Smith a commercialization consultant who will focus on NPS's international expansion. Smith was president of Genzyme's international unit....NIH appointed Jon Lorsch director of the National Institute of General Medical Sciences. Lorsch was a professor in the Department of Biophysics and Biophysical Chemistry at Johns Hopkins University.
- WellCare Health Plans Inc. named David McNichols state president of WellCare of Florida Inc. He replaces Christina Cooper, who resigned as president of WellCare’s Florida and Hawaii divisions. McNichols was president of WellCare of Georgia. Jesse Thomas, WellCare’s president of south division, will serve as interim state president of WellCare of Georgia....CDPHP appointed Anne Fernandez, M.D., medical director for behavioral health. Fernandez was a staff psychiatrist at St. Peter’s Healthcare in Albany, N.Y.
- Apricus Biosciences, Inc. named Richard Pascoe CEO. Pascoe was CEO at Somaxon Pharmaceuticals, Inc....Healthesystems appointed Robert Goldberg, M.D., chief medical officer and senior vice president. Goldberg was chief medical officer at Landmark Healthcare, Inc.
- XOMA Corp. named Tom Klein chief commercial officer. Klein joins XOMA from Genentech, where he was vice president, business unit head of virology and specialty care.....Sagent Pharmaceuticals, Inc. appointed James Hussey president. He was CEO at NanoInk.
- Premier Research named Susan Tansey, M.D., medical director of pediatrics. Tansey was director of medical services at TMC Pharma Services Limited....Apricus Biosciences, Inc. appointed Richard Pascoe CEO. Pascoe joins Apricus Bio from Somaxon Pharmaceuticals, Inc., where he was CEO.
- Sansum Diabetes Research Institute named Rem Laan executive director. Laan was vice president for external affairs for Roche Diagnostics' North American Diabetes Care business....Outcomes Health Information Solutions, LLC said Lynne Padilla is returning to the organization as vice president of clinical operations for its sister company, SeniorCare. Padilla was vice president of coding operations and quality, and Medicare risk adjustment at Peak Health Solutions.
- BDO Consulting named Patrick Pilch managing director. Pilch was vice president of managed care and new business development at North Shore-LIJ Health System....SurgiCount Medical, Inc., the wholly owned operating subsidiary of Patient Safety Technologies, Inc., appointed Michael Roux vice president of product management. Roux joins SurgiCount from Hill-Rom where he was the global product director for the Respiratory Care franchise.
- Community Behavioral HealthCare Network of Pennsylvania, which does business outside of Pennsylvania as PerformCare, named Michael Golinkoff president. Golinkoff will also serve as a senior vice president for AmeriHealth Mercy Family of Companies. He was head of clinical specialty operations for Aetna Inc....ikaSystems appointed Dave Lucey senior vice president of client services. Lucey was general manager of information management and business intelligence solutions at IMS Health.
- Express Scripts Holding Co. appointed Christopher Knibb principal accounting officer. Knibb was senior vice president and chief accounting officer at Brightstar Corp....CVS Caremark Corp. named Brian Tilzer senior vice president, chief digital officer. Tilzer joins CVS Caremark from Staples, where he was senior vice president of e-commerce.
- Christina Cooper is resigning as president of WellCare Health Plan’s Florida and Hawaii divisions, effective March 29. Cooper, who is relocating with her family, joined WellCare in 2006. Daniel Paquin, president of WellCare’s national health plans, will oversee the Florida and Hawaii markets....Molina Healthcare, Inc. has expanded the size of its board of directors from nine to 11 and elected Steven James, Dale Wolf and Daniel Cooperman as new independent non-executive directors. James is a retired audit partner from Ernst & Young LLP, Wolf was executive chairman of Correctional Healthcare Companies, Inc., and Cooperman is Of Counsel with the law firm of Bingham McCutchen LLP.
- Delta Point, Inc. named Michael Hickey senior vice president of global leadership development. Hickey was vice president of U.S. sales at AstraZeneca and former president of AstraZeneca, Netherlands....Precision Health Economics hired Amitabh Chandra as chief scientific officer. Chandra is the director of health policy research at Harvard's Kennedy School of Government and professor of public policy at Harvard University.
- Christina Cooper is resigning as president of WellCare’s Florida and Hawaii divisions, effective March 29. Cooper, who is relocating with her family, joined WellCare in 2006. Daniel Paquin, president of WellCare’s national health plans, will oversee the Florida and Hawaii markets....Jim Truess, chief financial officer of Amerigroup Corp., has left the company, and was replaced by Treasurer and Chief Investment Officer Scott Anglin.
- Dianne Heffron has joined Mercer Inc.’s Government Human Services Consulting specialty business. Heffron was director of the financial management group at CMS's Center for Medicaid and CHIP Services....Catalyst Pharmaceutical Partners, Inc. named Bernardino Mosquera, M.D., vice president of clinical operations. For the past three years, Mosquera has been managing his own clinical research consulting company.
- Precision Health Economics named Mark Gianforcaro chief marketing officer. Most recently, he held executive sales and marketing positions in the i3 division of UnitedHealth Group....The Catalent Applied Drug Delivery Institute promoted Terry Robinson to executive director. Robinson was executive director of global accounts.
- Accelovance named Ralph Boccia, M.D., oncology medical director. Boccia is a founder and the medical director of the Center for Cancer and Blood Disorders and an active clinical associate professor of medicine at Georgetown University....Citrus Valley Health Partners appointed Paul Heredia chief human resources officer. Heredia was director of human resources for Providence Holy Cross Medical Center.
- The Pharmaceutical Care Management Assn. (PCMA) named Wendy Krasner vice president of regulatory affairs. Krasner comes to PCMA from Manatt, Phelps & Phillips LLP, where she has been a partner within the health care practice....The board of directors of Optimer Pharmaceuticals appointed its chairman, Henry McKinnell, CEO. McKinnell will replace Pedro Lichtinger, who has served as Optimer's president and CEO since May 2010. Lichtinger agreed to step down in connection with an announced change in management.
- Beacon Partners promoted Scott Freeman to principal of its Southwest territory and appointed Kevin McKittrick to principal of its Northeast and Eastern Canada territories. Freeman was regional director and McKittrick was a health care field director at EMC Corp....Caris Life Sciences named Joachim Schorr chief scientific officer. Schorr was senior vice president, global research and development and managing director at QIAGEN N.V.
- Viscadia Inc. hired Mukesh Masand as a consultant. Masand was a sales and marketing consultant at ZS Associates....ValueOptions named Nancy Martin senior vice president of national network services and Medicare Advantage health plan operations. Martin was vice president of quality and product development at Health Dialog.
- Humana Inc. said James H. Bloem, senior vice president, chief financial officer (CFO) and treasurer, will retire on Dec. 31, 2013. Humana said it has begun searches for successors to both the CFO and treasurer roles….Simply Healthcare Plans, Inc. promoted Lourdes Tome-Rivas to CEO from chief operating officer. She succeeds Marcio Cabrera, managing director of the Medicare Advantage and managed Medicaid plan sponsor’s parent, MBF Healthcare Partners, L.P., who also had been acting CEO of Simply.
- First Databank promoted Bob Katter and Charles Tuchinda, M.D., to executive vice presidents. Katter will have management responsibility for all customer facing functions including sales, marketing, business development, client services, quality and government/industry relations. Tuchinda will lead the clinical, editorial, information technology and product management teams...Dennis Vonderfecht, president and CEO of Mountain States Health Alliance, said he plans to retire at the end of 2013. By the time he retires in December, Vonderfecht will have been at the helm of MSHA for 24 years.
- Simpler Consulting, L.P. named George Palma, M.D., medical director. Palma was assistant physician in chief and chief of neurology at Kaiser Permanente....David Lansky, president and CEO of the Pacific Business Group on Health, has been elected to the Alliance for Health Reform board of directors.
- Envision Insurance Company appointed William Epling president. Epling was state president of WellCare of Ohio….Vocera Communications, Inc. named Sandra Miley vice president of corporate marketing. Miley was senior director of brand communications at Juniper Networks.
- Endo Health Solutions Inc. named Rajiv De Silva president and CEO, effective March 18. De Silva was president of Valeant Pharmaceuticals.....CombiMatrix Corp. said Mark McDonough, the company's chief commercial officer, will become CEO following the retirement of CEO R. Judd Jessup on March 15.
- Metrics Inc. hired Michael DeHart as a development scientist II to manage all aspects of personnel and operations related to formulating and manufacturing a client’s pharmaceutical materials. DeHart was a development scientist at a commercial manufacturing site for Catalent Pharma Solutions....Havas Life New York appointed Dorothy Gemmell president. Gemmell was senior vice president of pharmaceutical and medical device markets at WebMD.
- The SSI Group, Inc. named Terry Pefanis chief financial officer (CFO) and promoted Mary Hyland to vice president of regulatory affairs and chief privacy officer. Pefanis was CFO for Healthtech Holdings. Hyland was assistant vice president of regulatory affairs....Martin Edlund, chief marketing officer of Malaria No More since 2011, has been named CEO. Prior to joining Malaria No More, Edlund was communications director for Millennium Promise.
- ConnectYourCare named Reese Feuerman chief financial officer. Feuerman was vice president of operational finance at Constellation Energy....Acorn appointed Tom O’Brien senior vice president of health care. O’Brien was senior manager of asset management professional services at GE Healthcare.
- OncoSec Medical Inc. promoted Veronica Vallejo to chief financial officer. Vallejo was vice president and controller....Douglas Falduto, chief security officer at Horizon Blue Cross Blue Shield of New Jersey, has been promoted to vice president of administration and chief security office.
- Aetna Inc. appointed Nancy Ham CEO of Medicity, its health information exchange technology company. She was president and CEO of MedVentive....Blue Shield of California hired Michael Mathias as senior vice president and chief information officer (CIO). Mathias was CIO at Aetna Inc.
- The Joint Commission appointed Daniel Castillo, M.D., medical director in the Division of Healthcare Quality Evaluation. Castillo was an emergency medicine physician at NorthShore University Health System....The Wellness Network named Matt Herren as vice president of business development. Herren was vice president of business development for Everwell TV.
- Ruthigen, Inc., named Sameer Harish chief financial officer (CFO). Harish served as principal of Harish Life Science Advisors, an independent consulting firm he founded, since 2011....The GW Medical Faculty Associates promoted Kenneth Marter to CFO. Marter was controller.
- Medicaid Health Plans of America (MHPA) said President and CEO Thomas Johnson is stepping down after eight and a half years. Joe Moser, who has served as MHPA’s director of government affairs, will serve as interim executive director until a new president and CEO has been selected....Edward Buthusiem has joined BRG as a director and as a member of the firm’s Health Analytics Practice. Buthusiem was general counsel of Danaher Corp.’s global medical device business.
- Amerigroup Corp. named Rosa Cozad CEO of its Florida plan. Cozad was CEO of Amerigroup’s Washington plan....Prosensa Therapeutics appointed Larry Bell, M.D., vice president of regulatory affairs. Bell was vice president and global head of regulatory affairs at GE Healthcare.
- The Academy of Managed Care Pharmacy named Bernadette Eichelberger, Pharm.D., director of pharmacy affairs. Prior to joining AMCP, Eichelberger served for 13 years in various clinical positions at Express Scripts Holding Co....BlueCross BlueShield of Tennessee appointed Pat Weiser vice president and chief compliance officer. Weiser was chief compliance officer for Martin’s Point Health Care in Portland, Maine.
- Walgreen Co. promoted Joseph Magnacca from senior vice president to executive vice president. Magnacca will retain his title as president of daily living products and solutions....Health Care Service Corp. appointed Stephen Ondra, M.D., senior vice president and chief medical officer (CMO), effective April 1. Ondra was senior vice president and CMO for Northwestern Memorial Hospital.
- Metrics Inc. appointed Joseph Cobb Jr. director of pharmaceutical development. Cobb has been with Metrics since 2002....Nextremity Solutions, Inc. named Rod Mayer CEO and president. Mayer was president and CEO at AIO Inc.
- Ahold USA named Mark McGowan executive vice president of merchandising. McGowan was executive vice president of supply chain for Ahold USA....The Biotechnology Industry Organization promoted Ken Lisaius to vice president of communications. Lisaius was director of public affairs.
- Metrics Inc. promoted Joe Cascone to senior director of operations. Cascone was director of potent pharmaceutical development.... Anthera Pharmaceuticals, Inc. said that Senior Vice President of Product Development Georgina Kilfoil will leave the company effective Feb. 15 to pursue other opportunities.
- AmeriHealth Mercy Family of Companies named Elizabeth Reeves senior vice president and chief human resources officer. Reeves was executive vice president of human resources at XL Group....Rite Aid Corp. appointed Yong Choe vice president of federal affairs and public policy. Choe was director of business outreach and member services for the Republican Study Committee.
- LaCare named Rebecca Engelman executive director. Engelman replaces Kathy Stone, who is retiring from the Louisiana Medicaid plan on April 1. Engelman was vice president of operations at Select Health....Cancer Treatment Centers of America appointed Glen Weiss, M.D., director of clinical research. Weiss was director of thoracic oncology and associate clinical investigator at the Virginia G. Piper Cancer Center Clinical Trials.
- American HealthTech named Julie Davis vice president of customer relations. Davis has served in a series of strategic executive positions for Kinetic Concepts, Inc., Carolina Power and Light, and Proctor and Gamble....EnvisionRxOptions appointed Len Ploskonka president of Midwest Technology, LLC, a newly formed subsidiary of Envision Pharmaceutical Holdings, Inc. Ploskonka was chief information officer at Summit Data Services.
- WellCare Health Plans, Inc. named Brian Luidhardt vice president of claims operations. Luidhardt was vice president of claims operations at Amerigroup Corp....CalOptima appointed Clayton Chau, M.D., medical director for behavioral health services. Chau was associate medical director for the Orange County Health Care Agency Behavioral Health Services for 13 years.
- Novus Medical Detox named Kent Runyon executive director. Runyon has developed and led accredited social services programs addressing human needs, including addiction, trauma and family reunification....Navigating Cancer appointed Jeff Oberlander vice president of engineering. Oberlander was the senior director of software engineering for Getty Images.
- Rexahn Pharmaceuticals named Peter Suzdak, M.D., CEO. Suzdak replaces Chang Ahn, M.D., who will remain chairman of the board and assume the new title of chief scientist. Suzdak was chief scientific officer at Corridor Pharmaceuticals.....Cogent HMG appointed John Little, Jr., M.D., chief payor development officer. Little was vice president of health care services and chief medical officer for Blue Cross and Blue Shield of South Carolina.
- Agendia named Neil Barth, M.D., chief medical officer. Barth is a physician with 35 years of experience with innovative care delivery and genomic biomarker development....BioTE Medical promoted Dan DeNeui to chief operating officer. DeNeui was vice president of business development.
- Innovus Pharmaceuticals, Inc. named Bassam Damaj president and CEO, and a member of the board of directors. Damaj was president and CEO of Apricus Biosciences, Inc....Akron Children's Hospital appointed Robert McGregor, M.D., chief medical officer. McGregor was pediatrician-in-chief and interim pediatrics chair at St. Christopher's Hospital for Children in Philadelphia.
- Pearl Therapeutics Inc. named Michael Riebe vice president of pharmaceutical development and research. Riebe was vice president of research and development at iCeutica....Former Nebraska Sen. Ben Nelson (D) has been appointed CEO of the National Association of Insurance Commissioners. Nelson replaces NAIC Acting CEO Andrew Beal, who stepped into the role after former CEO Therese Vaughan left in November.
- NIH appointed Franziska Grieder director of the Office of Research Infrastructure Programs (ORIP). Grieder has been serving as ORIP acting director since July 2012.... TMG Health promoted Mary Anne Kania to director of audit services. Kania began her career at TMG Health as supervisor of internal audit in 2009 and was then manager in 2010.
- The University of Iowa Health Alliance named Dan Kueter executive director. Kueter was president and CEO of UnitedHealthcare for Iowa and Central Illinois.... Innovation appointed Phil Samples vice president of government and professional services. Samples was colonel in the United States Air Force.
- Devon Health Services Inc. appointed Thomas Nicholson executive vice president. Nicholson was vice president and chief marketing officer at DAKOTACARE....Deloitte named Todd Kerr a managing director in its national governance, regulatory and risk strategies practice. Kerr was a senior vice president and chief compliance officer of Fresenius Medical Care North America.
- Supernus Pharmaceuticals, Inc. named Victor Vaughn senior vice president of sales. For the past seven years he has been consulting with small to medium-size pharmaceutical companies....LTC Global, Inc. promoted Robert Paulus to chief marketing officer. Paulus was corporate marketing resources director.
- WellPoint, Inc. named Patrick Blair senior vice president and chief marketing officer. Blair was chief marketing and development officer for Amerigroup Corp., which WellPoint acquired in December 2012...Symphony Health Solutions appointed Frank Lavelle to CEO. Lavelle was president and CEO of SunGard Data Systems' K12 division.
- Janet Serluco has joined DK Pierce & Associates as senior consultant for managed markets. Serluco was director of specialty injectables market research for ICORE Healthcare....New York Medical College appointed Edward J. Shin, M.D., chairman of the Department of Otolaryngology at The New York Eye and Ear Infirmary. Shin, who is also professor of clinical otolaryngology, had been serving as acting chairman since 2011.
- Sanomedics International Holdings named David Langle chief financial officer. Langle has served as CFO for publicly and privately held companies in the technology, health care, manufacturing and telecommunications industries.... TMG Health appointed Deanna Forte Lahey vice president of professional services. Forte was senior manager of customer service at Commonwealth Telephone Company.
- Halt Medical, Inc. named Rodney Marcy senior vice president of sales and marketing. Marcy was senior vice president of sales and marketing at Interlace Medical, Inc....Press Ganey Associates, Inc. appointed Jonathan Black chief operating officer and Paul Worland president of operations. Black was CEO of Omnis Health. Worland was a performance management and training consultant in the retail banking, telecommunications and pharmaceutical industries.
- QuantiaMD appointed Daniel Malloy senior vice president. Malloy was vice president at IMS Health. In addition, current President Mike Coyne has been named CEO. Eric Schultz, QuantiaMD’s founder and current CEO, has been appointed executive chairman....Stryker Corp. named Scott Bruder, M.D., vice-president and chief medical and scientific officer. Bruder worked at Becton, Dickinson and Co. as the chief science and technology officer.
- Select Medical named Samuel Hammerman, M.D., chief medical officer of its long-term acute-care hospital division. Hammerman was director of pulmonary and critical care for Geisinger Health System....Novo Nordisk Inc. promoted Curtis Oltmans to corporate vice president and general counsel, legal and quality affairs. Oltmans was vice president and deputy general counsel.
- ArmaGen Technologies, Inc. named James Callaway CEO and a member of the board of directors. Callaway was president and CEO of Cebix Inc....Biologics promoted Paula Bickley to vice president of physician services. Bickley was director of the physician and cancer center liaison group.
- Esperion Therapeutics named Tim Mayleben president and CEO. Roger Newton, who is the founder of Esperion and has been serving as its president and CEO, will become executive chairman and chief scientific officer. Mayleben was president and CEO at Aastrom Biosciences....Zafgen, Inc. appointed Patricia Allen chief financial officer (CFO). For the past two years, Allen has provided independent consulting services to biotechnology companies in a variety of areas, including interim CFO services.
- Health Dialog promoted Robert Mandel, M.D., to CEO. Mandel joined Health Dialog in May 2011 as executive vice president for market and business development....The Diabetes Research Institute Foundation appointed Natalie Geary , M.D., executive vice president. Geary was chief patient experience officer at the University of Miami Miller School of Medicine's UHealth system.
- Matthew Fink, M.D., has been named chairman of the Department of Neurology at Weill Cornell Medical College and neurologist-in-chief at New York-Presbyterian Hospital/Weill Cornell Medical Center. Fink has served as interim chairman of neurology and neuroscience at Weill Cornell and interim neurologist-in-chief at New York-Presbyterian/Weill Cornell since 2008. He also serves as chief of the Division of Stroke and Critical Care Neurology at NewYork-Presbyterian/Weill Cornell....Silence Therapeutics plc appointed Michael Khan chief medical officer to oversee the company’s program of Phase II clinical trials. Khan has been chief medical adviser and a director of the company since September 2012.
- The National Association of Chain Drug Stores promoted David Fitzsimmons to senior vice president of finance and administration. Fitzsimmons was vice president of finance and accounting....Venaxis, Inc. appointed Susan Evans, vice president of scientific affairs for Beckman Coulter, to the company's board of directors.
- BSD Medical Corp. named Bill Barth chief financial officer and corporate secretary, effective Jan. 1. Since May 2011, he has served as an independent corporate financial and strategic planning consultant....Oklahoma University Medical System appointed Charles L. Spicer Jr. CEO. Spicer was CEO of The Children's Hospital at OU.
- Independence Blue Cross announced several personnel changes, including Yvette Bright, who is now executive vice president and chief transformation officer. Bright was senior vice president and chief administrative officer. John Janney was named senior vice president of health care reform implementation and transformation. He was senior vice president of marketing services. Brian Lobley was promoted to senior vice president of marketing and consumer business. He was president of corporate strategy development and execution. Somesh Nigam joined Independence as senior vice president and chief informatics officer. He was president of health care informatics, scientific and clinical affairs at Johnson & Johnson. Lauren O’Brien, a vice president at Independence, was promoted to senior vice president. Steve Udvarhelyi has taken on the additional role of chief strategy officer. He is also executive vice president of health services.
- Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Minnesota named Michael Guyette CEO and president, effective Jan. 7. He was president of national accounts for Aetna Inc. Guyette replaces Scott Lynch, who had been serving as president and CEO on an interim basis, and will remain senior vice president and chief legal officer….MVP Health Care promoted Denise Gonick to president and CEO. She was the insurer’s president of operations. Gonick takes over for Dave Oliker, who retired.
- Texas Health Resources named Daniel Varga, M.D., chief clinical officer (CCO) and senior executive vice president, effective Jan. 14. Varga was CCO at KentuckyOne Health....Maria Delgado has joined Pyramid Healthcare Solutions as director of cancer registry services. Delgado was cancer outcome registry manager at Florida Hospital Tampa.
- The SSI Group, Inc. named Brian Campbell and Tom Myers senior vice president of sales and chief strategy officer respectively. Both Campbell and Myers will maintain their executive roles with MedWorth, a wholly-owned SSI subsidiary. Campbell serves as the director of business development for MedWorth and Myers serves as the company's vice president and ohief operating officer....California HealthCare Foundation appointed Jerry Coil senior fellow in residence. Coil was vice president for enterprise services at AltaMed Health Services.
- The National Quality Forum named Christine Cassel, M.D., president and CEO, effective mid-summer 2013. Cassel said in April that she was leaving her position as president and CEO of the American Board of Internal Medicine and the ABIM Foundation....Prosensa, a Dutch biopharmaceutical company, appointed Henri Termeer strategic advisor. Termeer was CEO at Genzyme.
- BlueCross BlueShield of Tennessee named Vanessa Daffron director of digital marketing. Daffron was senior manager and brand liaison for global eCommerce services for Hilton Worldwide....Patient-Centered Outcomes Research Institute appointed Robin Newhouse vice-chair of the institute’s methodology committee. Newhouse is professor and chair of organizational systems and adult health at the University of Maryland School of Nursing.
- AAIPharma Services Corp. appointed David Browne director of analytical chemistry for its Edison, N.J., laboratory. Browne was director of analytical and quality at Gerhart....Sutter Health named Stephen Nolte CEO of Sutter Health Plan. Nolte was vice president of consulting at OptumInsight.
- Sophono, Inc., named Richard Giancola vice president of global sales and marketing. Giancola was CEO of Neuromonics, Inc.....Francine Parker, executive director of the UAW Retiree Medical Benefits Trust, has been elected to the Alliance for Health Reform board of directors.
- NIH named Richard Nakamura director for NIH's Center for Scientific Review. Nakamura had been serving as the acting director since September 2011....The Blue Cross and Blue Shield Association appointed Trent Haywood, M.D., chief medical officer when Allan Korn, M.D., retires at year end. Haywood previously worked at CMS, where he led agency priorities including quality public reporting and value-based payments.
- AssureRx Health, Inc. announced several executive appointments. Bryan M. Dechairo, Ph.D., previously head of extramural research and development at Medco Research Institute, was named senior vice president, medical affairs and strategic alliances. Stephen E. King, vice president of commercial operations at Alkermes, was appointed vice president, marketing. Rao V. Mulpuri, Ph.D., formerly the director of scientific operations at the Catholic Health Initiatives Center for Translational Research, was named vice president, laboratory operations. And Scott M. Roth, AssureRx’s vice president, product development, has been promoted to lead the AssureRx Health Product Development team.…Julie K. Goonewardene was elected to the board of directors of the Personalized Medicine Coalition for a three-year term beginning Nov. 27, 2012. Ms. Goonewardene is the associate vice chancellor for innovation and entrepreneurship at the University of Kansas (KU), president of the KU Center for Technology Commercialization and a professor of practice in the KU School of Business.
- After serving nearly two decades as president of The Commonwealth Fund, Karen Davis is returning to the Johns Hopkins University Jan. 1 to become the Eugene and Mildred Lipitz professor in the Department of Health Policy and Management and director of the Roger C. Lipitz Center for Integrated Health Care. Former National Coordinator for Health Information Technology David Blumenthal, M.D., will succeed Davis as the next president of The Commonwealth Fund on Jan. 1....Former Rep. James Altmire (D-Fla.) is joining Florida Blue as senior vice president for public policy, government and community affairs. He is a former health care lobbyist for University of Pittsburgh Medical Center.
- Centene Corp. named K. Rone Baldwin executive vice president of its insurance group unit. He was executive vice president and business leader of the group insurance business at Guardian Life Insurance Co....Blue Cross Blue Shield of Michigan hired Phyllis Brown as communication manager for public policy and social mission. She was director of the state House Republicans' communications office.
- Alphonso O’Neil-White, president and CEO of BlueCross BlueShield of Western New York, has been elected chairman of the Blue Cross and Blue Shield Association’s board of directors. O’Neil-White will serve a one-year term....Prime Therapeutics, Inc. appointed Julie Hambleton, M.D., senior vice president and chief medical officer. Hambleton was vice president of clinical development at Clovis Oncology, Inc.
- ActiveCare, Inc. named Michael Jones chief operating officer. Jones was president and CEO of Interactive Care....Smilow Cancer Hospital at Yale-New Haven appointed Rogerio Lilenbaum, M.D., chief medical officer. Lilenbaum is chairman of the Cancer Institute at the Cleveland Clinic in Florida, and will begin his tenure at Smilow on Jan. 1.
- St. Thomas University named William Riffee, Ph.D., dean of its School of Pharmacy. Riffee was associate provost for distance, continuing and executive education from 2001 to 2005 at the University of Florida....Crum & Forster appointed Joseph Prystupa vice president in its management and professional services division. Prystupa was assistant vice president of the financial institutions book for RLI.
- Melissa Christian has joined Regence BlueShield of Idaho as vice president of provider services in Idaho. She was president of her own consulting firm…Assurant Health has appointed Mike Hamilton as senior vice president and chief sales officer. He previously ran his own consulting group.
- UnitedHealth named Marianne Short executive vice president and chief legal officer, effective Jan 1. She is managing partner at Minneapolis-based law firm Dorsey & Whitney LLP. Short replaces Richard Baer, who will become general counsel at Liberty Media Corp….Humana Inc. appointed Timothy O’Rourke president of the Medicare division in Illinois, Michigan and Wisconsin. He joins Humana from Aveta Inc., where he served as president of new-market development.