Dates included below correspond to the issue of AIS’s Health Business Daily in which “People News” appeared.
- New York-Presbyterian Hospital named Henry H. Ting, M.D., senior vice president and chief quality officer, effective July 21, 2014. Most recently, Dr. Ting was a professor of medicine and served as the associate dean for the Mayo Clinic College of Medicine. He also served as the director for the Mayo Clinic Quality Academy....Signal Genetics, Inc. appointed Tamara A. Seymour as chief financial officer. She replaces Robert Johnson, who resigned effective Aug. 4, 2014. Seymour joins Signal from HemaQuest Pharmaceuticals, Inc., where she oversaw all financial, accounting and administrative functions of the company.
- Mark VanderWerf, vice president of eHealth and OEM at Nonin Medical, Inc., was elected chairman of the American Telemedicine Association's Industry Council and will join the ATA's Board of Directors....Magellan Health, Inc. appointed Kay Coles James to its board of directors. James is president of the Gloucester Institute and previously served as director of the U.S. Office of Personnel Management under George W. Bush....Hill, Chesson & Woody, an employee benefits firm, appointed McKenzie Watts consultant coordinator. Watts previously was a benefits analyst with HCW from 2007 to 2012.
- The Independent Insurance Agents & Brokers of America named Wyatt Stewart director of federal government affairs, working in its Capitol Hill office. Stewart previously served as advisor for policy and coalitions for House Majority Leader Eric Cantor (R-Va.)....Susan L. Turney, M.D., has resigned as president and CEO of the Medical Group Management Association, effective Sept. 1. She will serve as CEO of the newly formed Marshfield Clinic Health System in Marshfield, Wis. Until a successor is named, MGMA leaders will assume increased responsibility.
- Kathleen Regan will become The Commonwealth Fund’s executive vice president and chief operating officer on Jan. 1, 2015, succeeding John E. Craig, Jr. Regan was a venture partner at Radius Ventures....SRS named Scott Ciccarelli CEO. Ciccarelli was a senior executive at GE Healthcare.
- Cover Oregon named Aaron Patnode executive director. Patnode was director of business development at Kaiser Permanente Northwest….Silver State Health Insurance Exchange in Nevada appointed Bruce Gilbert executive director. He was a principal at Texas-based HIX Partners and former benefits administrator for Ohio. He replaces Jon Hager who resigned in February.
- Health Care Service Corp. named Steve Betts chief information officer. He is replacing Brian Hedberg, who announced his retirement earlier this year. Betts was chief information officer at Aon….BlueCross BlueShield of Tennessee promoted Steven Johns to director of individual sales. He was the manager of individual sales for the Blues plan.
- The Hospital & Healthsystem Association of Pennsylvania (HAP) appointed Kaitlyn Byrnes manager, media relations. Byrnes comes to HAP from the American Trauma Society, PA Division, where she has served as public relations/program development director, managing media relations, maintaining the division brand, developing social media and web strategies, writing and editing publications and reports, and coordinating education events....UCare named Kerry Bendel director of pharmacy. Bendel was associate vice president of product development at Prime Therapeutics.
- The American Benefits Council promoted Jason Hammersla to senior director of communications and named Jessica Chirico communications assistant. Chirico is a recent graduate of East Carolina University in Greenville....Alameda Health System appointed Terry Lightfoot director of government and community relations. Lightfoot was community relations and outreach manager for L. Luster & Associates.
- Buck Consultants, a Xerox Company, appointed Bruce Sherman, M.D., medical director of RightOpt, the firm's private health insurance exchange. He was consulting corporate medical director for Wal-Mart Stores, Inc....California’s public exchange Covered California named Yolanda Richardson chief deputy executive director of strategy, marketing and product development and Susannah Johnsrud chief deputy executive director of operations. Richardson joined Covered California in April 2012 as deputy chief operations officer. Johnsrud was director of the Financial Information System for California.
- David Queller is leaving Aetna Inc. and his role as head of national accounts to join Express Scripts Holding Co. as senior vice president for sales and account management….Assurant, Inc. named Robyn Price Stonehill executive vice president, chief human resources. She was the senior vice president for compensation, benefits and shared services. Stonehill succeeds Sylvia Wagner, who is retiring this year following 40 years with the company.
- Aetna Inc. said Harold Paz, M.D., will be the insurer’s executive vice president and chief medical officer. Paz was the CEO of Penn State Hershey Medical Center and Health System, senior vice president for health affairs for Penn State University, dean of its College of Medicine and professor of medicine and public health sciences....Blue Cross Blue Shield of Alabama promoted Dow Briggs, M.D., to chief business officer. He was senior vice president, business operations.
- Sunshine Heart, Inc. named Brian Brown senior vice president of operations and technology. Brown was R&D, vice president cardiovascular at Boston Scientific....Express Scripts hired David Queller to serve as senior vice president, sales and account management. Queller joins Express Scripts from Aetna Inc., where he was senior vice president, national accounts.
- The Academy of Managed Care Pharmacy (AMCP) appointed John Mackowiak vice president of pharmacy and education, April Shaughnessy deputy to the CEO and Kevin Bruns vice president of communications and marketing. Mackowiak was editor-in-chief of the Journal of Managed Care & Specialty Pharmacy. Shaughnessy was AMCP's director of mission advancing initiatives and governance. Since 1996, Bruns has been a public affairs consultant and writer for numerous health care organizations....Mayne Pharma named Blake Cullen vice president of business development for its U.S. generic products division. Cullen was executive director, business development at Rhodes Pharmaceuticals.
- Peter M. Marino, director of the Rhode Island Office of Management and Budget, was appointed CEO of the Neighborhood Health Plan of Rhode Island, effective Sept. 1. Marino will succeed interim CEO Jim Hooley....Scioderm, Inc. named Ronald Nardi chief scientific officer. Nardi was executive vice president of regulatory affairs and quality assurance at International Partnership for Microbicides.
- Humana Inc. hired Douglas Stoss as vice president of federal affairs. Stoss comes from Bristol-Myers Squibb, where he served as director of market access strategy.... Magellan Health, Inc. named Stewart Lavelle chief sales and marketing officer. Lavelle was senior vice president of sales and marketing at Coventry Health Care.
- America's Health Insurance Plans named Mark Hamelburg senior vice president of federal programs. Hamelburg was a member of Epstein Becker & Green....AMAG Pharmaceuticals, Inc. appointed Melissa Bradford Klug senior vice president of business development and strategy. Klug was vice president of business development and licensing at Mallinckrodt Pharmaceuticals.
- WellCare Health Plans, Inc. promoted Kelly Munson to region president for Arkansas, Kentucky, Mississippi and Tennessee. Munson was named chief operating officer of WellCare of Kentucky in August 2012, and in 2013 was named state president of Kentucky....Celladon Corporation named Elizabeth Reed vice president and general counsel. Reed was senior vice president, legal affairs, general counsel and corporate secretary at Anadys Pharmaceuticals, Inc.
- Effective July 7, Ian Bushell, former corporate medical director at BlueCross BlueShield of Tennessee, will become chief clinical integration officer at Integrated Solutions Health Network....Bristol-Myers Squibb Company promoted Giovanni Caforio, M.D., to chief operating officer. Caforio was chief commercial officer.
- Karen Remley, M.D., has been named chief medical director of Anthem Blue Cross and Blue Shield in Virginia. She replaces Jay Schukman, M.D., who accepted another role in the organization leading the clinical efforts for Anthem’s parent company’s East Region. Remley is a former commissioner of health for the Commonwealth of Virginia….David Rosenberg has joined Horizon Blue Cross Blue Shield of New Jersey, where he will be responsible for leading the carrier’s strategic financial initiatives and functions. He was senior vice president, finance and interim chief financial officer for Hertz Corp.
- Neighborhood Health Plan of Rhode Island named Peter Marino CEO effective from Sept. 1. Marino is the director of the Rhode Island Office of Management and Budget. He succeeds Jim Hooley, who was interim CEO since November 2012….Symphony Performance Health appointed Sandra Loder senior vice president and chief legal counsel. She was general counsel for payers in Medicare, Medicaid and the commercial space, including as general counsel for Clear One Health Plans, Inc.
- ActiveCare, Inc. named Earl Hurst senior vice president of business development. He was market president of Humana Utah….Univita Health appointed Michael Muchnicki CEO. Muchnicki was CEO of Windsor Health.
- Shopko named Michael Cantrell senior vice president of retail health. Cantrell comes from Delhaize America, where he was vice president of pharmacy....Steven J. Stack, M.D., an emergency physician practicing in Lexington, Ky., was named president-elect of the American Medical Association. Stack will assume the office of AMA president in June 2015.
- Teva Pharmaceutical Industries named Sigurdur Olafsson president and CEO of global specialty medicines. Olafsson was president at Actavis plc....CNA Financial Corporation promoted Matt Szabo to assistant vice president, commercial underwriting officer for the Chicago, Illinois and Wisconsin Branches. Szabo was branch underwriting director for the Chicago Branch.
Shopko named Michael Cantrell senior vice president of retail health. Cantrell comes from Delhaize America, where he was vice president of pharmacy....Steven J. Stack, M.D., an emergency physician practicing in Lexington, Ky., was named president-elect of the American Medical Association. Stack will assume the office of AMA president in June 2015.
Ferguson Partners Ltd. named Dorothy M. Billingsly managing director of its Chicago office. For 14 years, she led Billingsly Associates....EmployerDirect appointed John Relic executive vice president of its provider network. Relic was a director of physician services at Huron Consulting Group.
- WellCare Health Plans, Inc. promoted Kenneth Burdick to president and chief operating officer. He was president, national health plans....Avalere Health appointed Robert Carter senior vice president, Andrew Cohen vice president and Greg Hall vice president in the patient access solutions practice. Carter was the development executive for Welsh Carson Anderson and Stowe. Cohen comes from the Brookings Institution’s Engelberg Center for Health Care Reform, where he was a managing director. Hall was vice president, patient and provider services at Covance.
- The Hospital & Healthsystem Association of Pennsylvania appointed Kaitlyn Byrnes manager, media relations. Byrnes comes to HAP from the American Trauma Society, where she served as public relations/program development director….San Francisco-based SeaChange Health named Christopher Kelly chief marketing officer – solutions. Previously, Kelly was senior marketing advisor for Covered California, the California public exchange.
- American HomePatient, Inc. named Barbara “Be” Stark senior vice president of business development. Stark was senior vice president of sales at Univita Health....Novartis appointed Bruno Strigini president of Novartis Oncology. Strigini comes from Merck & Co., where he was president for Europe/Canada.
- UCare announced that President and CEO Nancy Feldman plans to retire in 2015. Feldman has led UCare as CEO since 1995....CarePayment named Craig Hodges CEO, effective July 7. Hodges was senior vice president and general manager of patient billing and payment services and for payer payment solutions at Emdeon.
- HealthNow New York Inc. named Thomas E. Schenk, M.D., chief medical officer (CMO) and Dave Busch senior vice president and chief sales officer. Schenk was managing partner at Delaware Pediatric Associates. Busch was senior vice president and president of employer and health plan divisions at ValueOptions Inc....Tonix Pharmaceuticals Holding Corp. appointed Gregory M. Sullivan, M.D., CMO. Sullivan is an assistant professor of clinical psychiatry in the Department of Psychiatry at Columbia University.
- JLL’s Capital Markets named Steven Leathers senior vice president. Leathers comes from REIT American Realty Capital Healthcare Trust, where he was responsible for property acquisitions and transaction management....Van Dyk Health Care, Inc. promoted Kevin Brendlen to vice president of strategic partnerships. Brendlen was director of marketing.
- Cancer Treatment Centers of America promoted Maurie Markman, M.D., to president of the company's Medicine & Science unit. Markman was vice president of patient oncology services and national director for medical oncology....Symphony Health Solutions named Robert Gabruk senior vice president of customer success and insights. Gabruk was the North American practice lead at Cognizant.
- Vector Oncology named Michael Choukas CEO and Sean Hart executive vice president and managing director of pharmaceutical services. Choukasa was founding partner of Watermill Group. Hart comes from UBC, where he was general manager of global product approval and commercialization....Bavarian Nordic A/S promoted Paul Chaplin to president and CEO. He replaces Anders Hedegaard who leaves the company to join GN ReSound A/S as CEO. Chaplin was executive vice president.
- KPH Healthcare Services promoted Bridget-ann Hart to president and CEO. Hart was president of Kinney Healthcare Services....Purdue Pharma L.P. named Saeed Motahari senior vice president and chief commercial officer. Motahari comes from AbbVie, where he served as vice president of U.S. sales and marketing, specialty Brands - new launches.
- Greenleaf Health LLC named Rachel Sherman, M.D., principal, drug and biological drug products. Sherman was director of the FDA Center for Drug Evaluation and Research’s Office of Medical Policy and associate center director for medical policy....The California Association of Dental Plans said Jackie Miller, the association’s executive director since 1995, will retire Dec. 31, 2014.
- Common Ground Healthcare Cooperative in Wisconsin said CEO Bob DeVita has retired and Chief Operating Officer Cathy Mahaffey has been promoted to CEO. DeVita originally served in a volunteer role on the Common Ground CO-OP board and became CEO in February 2012 ….Erik Larson, MNsure's chief operating officer, is stepping down in July.
- Nektar Therapeutics named Ivan Gergel, M.D., senior vice president, drug development and chief medical officer. Gergel was executive vice president, research and development of Endo Pharmaceuticals....Inovalon, Inc. appointed Robert Wychulis president and Thomas Kloster chief financial officer (CFO). Wychulis was president of WellPoint New York. Kloster comes from Algeco Scotsman, where he was CFO.
- OXiGENE, Inc. named David Chaplin president and CEO, replacing Peter Langecker, M.D. Chaplin has served as a senior member of the management team of several biopharma companies....The California Public Employees’ Retirement System (CalPERS) appointed Matthew Jacobs general counsel. Jacobs comes to CalPERS from DLA Piper, where he was a partner in its litigation practice.
- Richard Moore has joined CSG Government Solutions' health care and human services practice. Moore was president of eHealth Ohio, Inc....AxoGen, Inc. named Lee Robert Johnston, Jr. chief financial officer (CFO). Johnston was senior vice president of corporate development and CFO of Scientific Protein Laboratories, LLC.
- GW Pharmaceuticals plc named Kenneth Sommerville, M.D., vice president of clinical science. Sommerville was vice president of clinical science at Pfizer, Inc....InfinityQS International, Inc. appointed Martyn Gill general manager for Europe. Gill was global strategic business development director and quality consultant at ATS International.
- Cover Oregon said Steve Powell, the deputy chief information officer at the Oregon Health Authority, is leaving on June 5. Powell was a deputy to Carolyn Lawson, former top technology manager at the agency whose team was in charge of the early development of the exchange....BlueCross BlueShield of Tennessee appointed Lisa Slattery vice president of quality management for all lines of business. Slattery was chief quality and compliance officer at MedHOK Healthcare Solutions, LLC.
- EmployerDirect named Jeff Gary executive vice president of business development. Gary was the founder and president of The JMG Group....WellPoint, Inc. appointed Martin Silverstein, M.D., chief strategy officer. Silverstein was a senior partner and managing director at Boston Consulting Group.
- HEALTHEC named Anthony Akosa, M.D., chief medical officer. Akosa was vice president of medical affairs for ADVANTAGE Health Solutions....PerformRx promoted Andrew Maiorini, director of clinical programs, to vice president of clinical programs and Patrick Gallagher, director of business solutions, to vice president of operations.
- Kay Green has joined CSG Government Solutions' health care and human services practice. Green was director of federal programs for the division of developmental disabilities at the Missouri Department of Mental Health....Explorys named Thomas Chickerella chief operating officer. Chickerella was system vice president for performance improvement and supply chain at Vanguard Health Systems.
- The White House promoted longtime aide Kristie Canegallo to the new position of deputy chief of staff for policy implementation. The job will include monitoring Affordable Care Act implementation. The assignment comes at the same time health care adviser Phil Schiliro departs the administration....Cancer Treatment Centers of America appointed Devin Carty chief talent and experience officer. Carty was vice president, culture, chief marketing and experience officer for Vanguard Health System.
- CarePayment named Rick Slavin vice president of technology, Nicole Miller vice president of product management and Jim Kirby vice president of implementation and customer service. Slavin was vice president of information systems for CorVel Corp. Miller comes from Experian Healthcare, where she was director of product management and commercialization. Kirby joins CarePayment from WebMD where he was senior director of implementation services and shared services....Karyopharm Therapeutics Inc. appointed Christopher Primiano vice president, general counsel and secretary. Primiano was a Counsel in the Boston office of Wilmer Cutler Pickering Hale and Dorr LLP.
- Tufts Health Plan named Nora Moreno Cargie executive director of Tufts Health Plan Foundation. Cargie will also serve as the vice president of corporate citizenship for Tufts Health Plan. She was the director of global corporate citizenship for The Boeing Co....BlueCross BlueShield of Tennessee appointed Barbara Easterling Smith, M.D., associate chief medical officer. She was a board certified family physician.
- The Association of Community Cancer Centers named Becky DeKay president. DeKay is director of oncology services at the Feist-Weiller Cancer Center at LSU Health Shreveport in Louisiana....DIA China appointed Haijun (Lou) Dong managing director. Dong was CEO for Lilly China Research and Development Co., a subsidiary of Eli Lilly and Co.
- Heidrick & Struggles International named Michael Loiacano head of its North American health care services and managed care practices. Loiacano was senior vice president, managing director and a member of the executive management team of a boutique executive search firm....The Pharmaceutical Research and Manufacturers of America appointed Robert Zirkelbach senior vice president of communications. Zirkelbach was vice president of strategic communications at America's Health Insurance Plans.
- Inovalon, Inc. named Robert Wychulis president and Thomas Kloster chief financial officer (CFO). Wychulis was president of WellPoint New York's government health plan HealthPlus. Kloster comes from Algeco Scotsman, where he served as CFO....AtheroNova Inc. appointed Randolph M. Johnson chief operating officer. Johnson was chief of technology development and vice president of research at KAI Pharmaceuticals.
- Mercer said Giuliana Rivers joined the firm’s Houston office within the defined contribution advisors specialty practice. Rivers was a senior client relationship consultant at Arthur J. Gallagher & Co....Molina Healthcare, Inc. named Thomas Lindquist president of Molina of South Carolina. Lindquist was president of Texas Home Health, Inc.
- CROnos Clinical Consulting named Nina Engelhardt vice president of scientific innovation. Engelhardt was senior clinical trainer and research scientist for MedAvante....NeoStem, Inc. appointed Adel Nada, M.D., vice president of immunotherapy. Nada comes from Baxter Healthcare where he was senior medical director for cardiovascular cellular therapies.
- Kite Pharma, Inc. named Arie Belldegrun, M.D., president and CEO. Belldegrun, who is also a founder of Kite, will continue in his current role as chairman of the company....The CECON Group appointed Kevin O’Neill program and market manager for its life sciences markets. O'Neill was vice president at Pfizer Pharmaceuticals.
- Cytomedix, Inc. named Dean Tozer executive vice president and chief commercial officer. Tozer was vice president of corporate development at Shire Pharmaceuticals....Immune Pharmaceuticals Inc. appointed Elliot Goldstein, M.D., chief medical officer and Eugene Williams chief operating officer. Goldstein was co-founder of Virtua, LLC. Williams was senior vice president at Genzyme.
- WellCare Health Plans, Inc. named Barbara Witte state president of Missouri. Prior to joining WellCare, she worked as a consultant specializing in operational efficiencies....America’s Health Insurance Plans appointed Brendan Buck vice president of communications. Buck was press secretary for House Speaker John Boehner (R-Ohio).
- The California HealthCare Foundation appointed Sophia Chang, M.D., vice president of programs. Chang was vice president and medical director of population health solutions for Accretive Health....Arkansas Medicaid Director Andy Allison will leave his position June 1 to pursue other opportunities. Dawn Zekis will step in as interim director until a replacement is found.
- ikaSystems named Mary Jernigan vice president of product management, Ken Accardi vice president of engineering and Ashwin Desai senior director of quality assurance. Jernigan was senior vice president at Healthfirst. Accardi comes from GE Medical Systems, where he was chief information officer. Desai was principal quality architect of commerce on the cloud for IBM Corp....Sanovas Inc. appointed Jeff Heer chief operating officer. Heer was vice president of manufacturing and customer support at Picarro Inc.
- CenCal Health named J. Mark Maddox, M.D., chief medical officer. Maddox was the medical director of government programs for PacificSource Health Plans in Bend, Ore....Harvard Pilgrim Health Care, Inc. appointed Kathy Kukowski senior director of sales in Connecticut. She has previously held sales positions with ConnectiCare and Health Net, Inc.
- WellPoint, Inc. appointed Peter Haytaian executive vice president and president of the company’s government business division. He replaces Richard Zoretic, who will retire on May 31. Haytaian was a partner in the law firm of Morgan Lewis....athenahealth, Inc. promoted Karl Stubelis to chief financial officer. Stubelis was vice president and corporate controller.
- Aastrom Biosciences, Inc. named Ross Tubo chief scientific officer and David Recker, M.D, chief medical officer. Tubo was vice president of stem cell and chemokine biology at Genzyme. Recker was senior vice president of clinical sciences at Takeda Global Research and Development....The Hospital & Healthsystem Association of Pennsylvania appointed Michael Consuelos, M.D., senior vice president, clinical integration, effective July 1. Consuelos was vice chair of the department of pediatrics at Lehigh Valley Health Network.
- AbilTo named Julie Donahue vice president of business development. Donahue held a number of senior roles in IBM’s financial, global strategy, security and health care service areas....Envision Pharmaceutical Services appointed Frank Sheehy CEO. Sheehy was president of Accredo Health, Medco's specialty pharmacy business.
- Bloom Health named Anudeep Parhar chief technology officer. Parhar was senior vice president of global engineering and development at Digital River....Tonix Pharmaceuticals Holding Corp. appointed Donald Kellerman, Pharm.D., senior vice president of clinical development and regulatory affairs. Kellerman was senior vice president of clinical development and medical affairs at MAP Pharmaceuticals, Inc.
- Cigna Corp. named Mary Picerno chief nursing officer. Prior to joining Cigna, Picerno was staff vice president for WellPoint, Inc. She assumed her new role on April 28, taking over for Susan Gaca, who retired after 16 years with Cigna....Aegis Security Insurance Group appointed Trevor Hash senior vice president-surety. Hash was a bond manager in the Syracus, N.Y., office of Liberty Mutual Insurance Co.
- OsoBio named Catherine Buck director of manufacturing. Buck was an independent pharma/biotech consultant at CB Consulting....Precision Health Economics appointed Ross Maclean chief operating officer. Maclean was vice president, US medical at Bristol-Myers Squibb Co.
- BlueCross BlueShield of Tennessee named Marc Barclay vice president of provider networks and contracting. He was senior director of regional network management at Centene Corp....Nevro appointed David Caraway, M.D., chief medical officer. Caraway has spent more than 20 years in neuromodulation, playing a key role in the development of the field as well as many leadership roles in societies such as the North American Neuromodulation Society and the American Society of Interventional Pain Physicians.
- The Commonwealth Fund announced that Cathy Schoen, senior vice president for policy, research and evaluation, will retire at the end of June....Health Affairs named Alan Weil editor-in-chief, effective June 2. Weil was executive director of the National Academy for State Health Policy.
- Biotechnology Industry Organization named Kay Holcombe senior vice president of science policy. Holcombe was vice president, FDA alliances and federal agency relations at Sanofi....Craig Schmidt, who was the Blue Cross Blue Shield Association’s director of conference services, education and administrative services, has accepted a vice president position at Prairie State College in Chicago Heights, Ill.
- In an email to staff, CMS Administrator Marilyn Tavenner said Jonathan Blum, principal deputy administrator and director of the Center for Medicare, is stepping down May 16, according to CQ Healthbeat. Tavenner wrote that Blum is resigning after five and a half years at CMS to pursue other opportunities, the online publication reported....The California Public Employees' Retirement System (CALPERS) named Tom McDonagh acting senior investment officer for real assets. McDonagh is a senior portfolio manager in the global fixed income asset class at CALPERS.
- Humana Inc. promoted Mike Brooks to Ohio market vice president, John Sinclair to regional vice president of sales for the Midwest, and Jeff Bringarder to vice president for regional market development. Brooks was Humana’s market practice leader for Ohio, Sinclair was market president for Ohio, and Bringarder was market president of Kentucky….CareMore Health System named Jason Barker president of the company’s Medicare health plans and Vish Sankaran chief operations officer. Barker was CEO of St. Mary’s Hospital in California, and Sankaran was health care operations and information technology strategist for Ayus Health LLC.
- HealthNow New York Inc. named Ronald Mornelli senior vice president and chief network officer. Mornelli was senior vice president business development at Upper Allegheny Health System....Caliber Imaging & Diagnostics appointed Joseph Williams vice president of global marketing. Williams was director of market development at Axsun Technologies.
- CSSi named Karen Beaulieu project manager for global operations. Beaulieu comes from the electronic health records industry....Dynamic Healthcare Services, Inc. appointed Michael Grabko CEO. Grabko was senior vice president of expansion and networks at Univita Health, Inc.
- VLP Therapeutics, Inc. named Ryuji Ueno, M.D., chair and chief medical officer. Ueno was chair, CEO and chief scientific officer at Sucampo Pharmaceuticals, Inc...3M Drug Delivery Systems appointed Cindy Kent president and general manager. She succeeds James Ingebrand, who was named president and general manager of 3M ESPE, 3M’s dental division. Kent was vice president of strategy, business development and U.S. medical accounts for 3M Healthcare.
- Baptist Health South Florida named Bernie Fernandez, M.D., CEO. Fernandez was president of Cleveland Clinic Florida....Plandaí Biotechnology, Inc. appointed Jamen Shively vice president of global marketing. Shively co-founded Diego Pellicer Inc. in 2012 and was a corporate stategy manager for Microsoft Corp. before that.
- HealthCare, Inc. named Jeff Smedsrud CEO. Smedsrud was senior vice president and chief marketing officer for The IHC Group....CynergisTek appointed Erin Fulton vice president of operations. Fulton was vice president and general manager of paper and performance solutions at T-System.
- Todd Shamash, former deputy chief of staff for Pennsylvania Gov. Tom Corbett (R), joined Capital BlueCross as deputy general counsel and head of regulatory affairs. He was responsible for health care and insurance matters for Corbett....Deloitte named Sarah Thomas, director, Deloitte Services LP and director of research for the Deloitte Center for Health Solutions. Thomas was vice president of public policy and communications at the National Committee for Quality Assurance.
- The Patient-Centered Outcomes Research Institute (PCORI) promoted Jean Slutsky to chief engagement and dissemination officer. Slutsky joined PCORI in February to head the science program....The Blue Cross and Blue Shield Association promoted Kris Haltmeyer to vice president of health policy and analysis and Kim Holland to vice president of state affairs. Haltmeyer was executive director. Holland was also an executive director.
- CynergisTek named Erin Fulton vice president of operations. Fulton was vice president and general manager of paper and performance solutions at T-System....CAS Medical Systems, Inc. appointed Karen Harris-Coleman executive vice president, international sales. Harris-Coleman was executive vice president of international at Iscreen Vision.
- John E. Craig, Jr., The Commonwealth Fund's executive vice president and chief operating officer, will retire at the end of 2014....The American Association for Cancer Research elected José Baselga, M.D., president-elect for 2014-2015. Baselga is physician-in-chief at Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center in New York, N.Y.
- SA Ignite, Inc., named Jeff Galowich president. Galowich was executive vice president at Initiate Systems....Clarus Therapeutics, Inc. appointed John Gargiulo chief operating officer. Gargiulo was North American president and CEO of Daiichi Sankyo, Inc.
- Magellan Health Services Inc. named Daniel Parietti CEO of AlphaCare, a Medicaid managed long-term care HMO and Medicare plan. Parietti was senior vice president of health plans at Centene Corp....Humana Inc. named Brian Kane senior vice president and chief financial officer (CFO). He succeeds former CFO Jim Bloem, who retired at the end of 2013. Kane was a managing director at Goldman, Sachs & Co.
- Akers Biosciences, Inc. said President and CEO Thomas Nicolette has stepped down from Akers' board. Raymond Akers, the company's co-founder and executive chairman of the board, will assume the duties of president and CEO....Cancer Genetics named Edward Sitar chief financial officer (CFO). Sitar was CFO at Healthagen.
- TeleTracking Technologies named Diane Watson chief operating officer (COO) and Joseph Tetzlaff chief technology officer. Watson was principal partner and COO at Tilt, Inc. Prior to TeleTracking, Tetzlaff was at inVentiv Health, where he was responsible for technology across the firm's clinical division....Stateside Associates, Inc. appointed Dusty Brighton vice president. Brighton was director of government relations for eBay.
- RestorGenex named Stephen Simes CEO. Simes was vice chairman, president and CEO at BioSante Pharmaceuticals, Inc....BioElectronics Corp. appointed Deepak Kotak executive vice president. Kotak was chief medical officer of TraumaTec.
- Healthsense, Inc. named Greg Melsen chief financial officer. Melsen was vice president, finance, treasurer and CFO of Techne Corp....The National Business Coalition on Health appointed Brian Klepper CEO. Klepper is a health care analyst, commentator and entrepreneur.
- Lachman Consultant Services named Fran Zipp president. Zipp was global head of quality and group executive vice president at Teva Pharmaceutical Industries....TriStar Wellness Solutions, Inc. promoted Stuart Sands to chief financial officer of its wholly owned subsidiary, HemCon Medical Technologies, Inc. Sands was vice president of finance.
- Project HOPE named Linda Heitzman executive vice president. Heitzman was a former director with Deloitte Consulting’s Life Sciences Strategy and Operations Practice....ABILITY Network Inc. promoted Ken Ernsting to chief operating officer. Ernsting was executive vice president of corporate development.
- Tiffany & Co. named former Cigna Corp. executive Ralph Nicoletti chief financial officer (CFO) effective on April 2.…Cancer Genetics named Ed Sitar CFO effective April 1. Sitar was CFO at Healthagen, the health and technology service business at Aetna Inc.
- AmeriHealth Caritas Family of Companies named Fred Hill, M.D., chief medical officer (CMO), Southern Region. He assumes the role from Fred Volkman, M.D., who will be retiring effective March 31. Hill was CMO at Aetna Inc....CDPHP appointed Brian O’Grady senior vice president of sales. O'Grady was vice president of commercial group accounts at HealthNow New York, Inc.
- WellPoint, Inc. named Thomas Miller chief information officer (CIO), effective May 1. Miller was senior vice president and CIO for Coca Cola Refreshments....Stradis Healthcare appointed Derrell James president and CEO. James was vice president of business development and director of technical sales for Honeywell Defense and Space.
- Premera Blue Cross said Gubby Barlow will step down as CEO on Sept. 30. Current President Jeff Roe has been appointed the next CEO, effective Oct. 1. Barlow will remain with Premera to assist Roe in the transition until the end of the year....Aetna Inc. named Laurie Brubaker president of the company’s Delaware, Pennsylvania and West Virginia operations. Brubaker was Aetna’s chief culture officer. She succeeds Patrick Young, who left the insurer.
- The California HealthCare Foundation named Avram Goldstein senior communications officer for the foundation's health reform and public programs initiative and state health policy office. Goldstein was communications and research director for Health Care for America Now....Integra LifeSciences Holdings Corp. appointed Kenneth Burhop corporate vice president and chief scientific officer. Burhop was chief scientific officer at Sangart, Inc.
- OsoBio appointed Paul Stoker director of its chemistry and microbiology laboratories. He replaces Kathleen Larese, OsoBio’s previous director of laboratories, when she became the company’s director of technical operations. Stoker was director of the quality control laboratory at Dendreon....AMAG Pharmaceuticals, Inc. named Edward Jordan senior vice president of sales and marketing. Jordan was head of sales, marketing, and operations of the women's health division at Teva Pharmaceuticals.
- Par Pharmaceutical Companies, Inc. named Antonio Pera chief commercial officer. Pera joins Par from JHP where he served as senior vice president of commercial operations....The California Public Employees' Retirement System (CalPERS) appointed Dan Bienvenue senior investment officer (SIO) for global equity. Bienvenue has been acting SIO for global equity since June 2013 when Eric Baggesen took another leadership position within the CalPERS Investment Office.
- Molina Healthcare Inc. in Washington has hired former PeaceHealth executive Peter Adler as president....Hardy Limited, a CNA Insurance Company, named David Brosnan chief executive. Brosnan was senior vice president of international at CNA.
- Rebecca Pearce, the former executive director of Maryland’s insurance exchange, has joined Baltimore-based Riverside Health, Inc. as a consultant....Victor J. Dzau, M.D., has been named president of the Institute of Medicine. Dzau is chancellor for health affairs at Duke University, and president and CEO of Duke University Health System.
- Regence BlueCross BlueShield of Oregon named Scott Burton director of community and business relations. He spent three years in Regence’s communications department....Gary Cohen is resigning as director of CMS’s Center for Consumer Information and Insurance Oversight at the end of March and will be replaced on an interim basis by Mandy Cohen, M.D., who now manages consumer assistance for the agency.
- Imprimis Pharmaceuticals named Randle House vice president of pharmacy operations. House was vice president of operations at Avella, Inc....ViiMed appointed Fred Altimont president of ViiNetwork Inc. Altimont was director of federal health solutions for McAfee/Intel.
- CNA Financial Corp. appointed Christopher Leisz senior vice president and chief underwriting officer for specialty. Leisz was midwest regional executive at Hiscox USA....The Segal Group named Mark Schumann senior vice president and national communications practice leader. Schumann was vice president for marketing and communications at Western Connecticut Health.
- Humana Inc. named Christopher Kay senior vice president and chief innovation officer. He was managing director and CEO of Citi Ventures, Citigroup Inc.’s global corporate venturing arm....VEXIM appointed Sandrine Carle marketing director. Carle was global marketing manager of Ophthalmology at Leica Microsystems.
- Howard Kahn, the CEO of L.A. Care Health Plan, said he plans to leave in January. Prior to joining L.A. Care, Kahn served as an executive at Cigna Corp., Aetna Inc. and the Health Plan of San Mateo....Stereotaxis, Inc. appointed Chairman William Mills CEO. Mills has been serving as interim CEO since April 2013.
- The Pharmaceutical Research and Manufacturers of America appointed Charles Clapton senior vice president of federal advocacy, effective March 17. Clapton was a partner at the international law firm HoganLovells....CDPHP named Brian O’Grady senior vice president of sales. O’Grady was vice president of commercial group accounts at HealthNow New York, Inc.
- MedHOK appointed Troy Smith chief operating officer. Smith was a partner at Computer Sciences Corporation....Access promoted Christopher Slaughter to regional vice president for the Northwest. Slaughter was IT manager and director of operations.
- Buck Consultants, a Xerox Company, named Lori Black principal and national health and productivity practice leader for Voluntary Benefits Integrated Services. Previously, she spent more than nine years at benefits administration firm Trion, a Marsh & McClennan Agency, LLC Company....AMC Health appointed Kevin Fickenscher, M.D., chief medical officer and president of its health care division. Fickenscher was president and CEO of the American Medical Informatics Association.
- Cedarburg Hauser Pharmaceuticals named Alex Tretyakov director of process development. Tretyakov was vice president of research and development at PCI Synthesis....Innovus Pharmaceuticals, Inc. appointed Lynnette Dillen vice president and chief financial officer (CFO). Dillen has been working as a CFO with both public and private equity-backed companies.
- Missouri Health Connection named Mark Pasquale CEO, effective March 10. He replaces Marc Andiel, who has been serving as the interim CEO since November. Pasquale was vice president and chief information officer at Piedmont Healthcare....Sunesis Pharmaceuticals, Inc. appointed Joseph DePinto executive vice president and chief commercial officer. DePinto brings over two decades of experience in global commercial operations.
- EMPERRA appointed Christian Krey managing director and CEO. Krey was a business unit manager at a Johnson & Johnson subsidiary....Sucampo Pharmaceuticals, Inc. named Peter Greenleaf CEO. Greenleaf was president of MedImmune.