Dates included below correspond to the issue of AIS’s Health Business Daily in which “People News” appeared.
- MedHOK appointed Troy Smith chief operating officer. Smith was a partner at Computer Sciences Corporation....Access promoted Christopher Slaughter to regional vice president for the Northwest. Slaughter was IT manager and director of operations.
- Buck Consultants, a Xerox Company, named Lori Black principal and national health and productivity practice leader for Voluntary Benefits Integrated Services. Previously, she spent more than nine years at benefits administration firm Trion, a Marsh & McClennan Agency, LLC Company....AMC Health appointed Kevin Fickenscher, M.D., chief medical officer and president of its health care division. Fickenscher was president and CEO of the American Medical Informatics Association.
- Cedarburg Hauser Pharmaceuticals named Alex Tretyakov director of process development. Tretyakov was vice president of research and development at PCI Synthesis....Innovus Pharmaceuticals, Inc. appointed Lynnette Dillen vice president and chief financial officer (CFO). Dillen has been working as a CFO with both public and private equity-backed companies.
- Missouri Health Connection named Mark Pasquale CEO, effective March 10. He replaces Marc Andiel, who has been serving as the interim CEO since November. Pasquale was vice president and chief information officer at Piedmont Healthcare....Sunesis Pharmaceuticals, Inc. appointed Joseph DePinto executive vice president and chief commercial officer. DePinto brings over two decades of experience in global commercial operations.
- EMPERRA appointed Christian Krey managing director and CEO. Krey was a business unit manager at a Johnson & Johnson subsidiary....Sucampo Pharmaceuticals, Inc. named Peter Greenleaf CEO. Greenleaf was president of MedImmune.
- Axiom EPM named David Janotha industry vice president of health care. Janotha was a manager at Deloitte Consulting LLP....Nelsons appointed John Tucker president and CEO of Nelson Bach USA, Ltd. Tucker was chief commercial officer at Incline Therapeutics, Inc.
- Rosa & Co. LLC named Ananth Kadambi senior vice president for Japan and Asia. Kadambi was director of modeling and simulation development at Evidera....NuVasive, Inc. promoted Quentin Blackford to executive vice president of finance and investor relations. Blackford was senior vice president of finance and investor relations.
- Lon Sprecher, president and CEO of Wisconsin-based Dean Health Plan, intends to retire on May 1....Cognosante promoted Jean-Marc Edier to senior vice president of health care operations services. Edier was vice president of federal programs.
- WellCare Health Plans, Inc. said that Tom Tran, senior vice president and chief financial officer (CFO), will be leaving the company. Tran has agreed to stay on until Nov. 30, or until a new CFO is appointed....VITAS Innovative Hospice Care appointed Lisa Cooper general manager in San Francisco. Cooper was CEO of Santa Cruz Surgery Center.
- UCare named Daniel Abdul vice president and chief information officer (CIO). Abdul was CIO for the Minnesota Department of Veteran Affairs....Chelsea Therapeutics International, Ltd. appointed Keith Schmidt chief commercial officer. Schmidt has served as a consultant to the company since 2012.
- UCare promoted Patricia Ball to vice president of provider relations and contracting. Ball was corporate strategies director....Bloom Health hired Joe Golden as a business lead for the Texas market. Golden was vice president of new business sales at Aetna Inc.
- NIH appointed Hannah Valantine, M.D., chief officer for scientific workforce diversity. Valantine was senior associate dean for diversity and leadership at Stanford School of Medicine, and professor of cardiovascular medicine at Stanford University Medical Center....Humana Inc. said that CAC-Florida Medical Centers CEO Mark Kent’s position has been expanded to regional president with oversight of all Humana-owned, Florida-based primary care practices, including CAC.
- LipoScience, Inc. appointed Howard Doran president and CEO. Doran was president and chief operating officer at Constitution Medical, Inc....AmeriHealth Caritas VIP Plans named Lavdena Orr, M.D., medical director for the District of Columbia. Orr was senior vice president of medical affairs and interim chief medical officer of DC Chartered Health Plan, Inc., which was acquired by AmeriHealth in 2013.
- NeoStem, Inc. named David Altarac, M.D., vice president of regulatory affairs. Altarac was vice president of regulatory affairs, emerging markets, and research and development at Merck Research Labs....The Cooper Companies, Inc. promoted Randal L. Golden to general counsel. Golden has been assistant general counsel since May 2013.
- Chelsea Therapeutics International, Ltd. named Joseph G. Oliveto president and CEO, and a member of the company's board of directors. Oliveto has served as the company's interim president and CEO since July 2012....Sorbent Therapeutics appointed Tom O’Neil chief financial officer. O’Neil was vice president of finance and administration for ChemGenex Pharmaceuticals.
- HealthStat Rx named Amy Hampton head of its hepatitis C business unit. She was manager of patient advocates in immunology for Abbott/AbbVie....Putnam Associates promoted Ken Beers to partner and Scott Gilbert to principal.
- Mayne Pharma Group Limited promoted Stefan Cross to president of Mayne Pharma USA. Cross was Mayne Pharma’s vice president of business and corporate development....Florida Blue appointed Jannifer Drake Harper, M.D., chief medical officer. Harper was vice president of medical operations.
- Mercer promoted Sharon Cunninghis to leader of Mercer Marketplace Exchange Solutions. Cunninghis was leader of the North America Health & Benefits Region. Bernard Walsh will succeed Cunninghis. Walsh was senior partner with Mercer Health & Benefits....Lakewood Regional Medical Center appointed Ron Galonsky CEO. Galonsky was chief operations and integration officer at Mission Hospital.
- WellCare Health Plans, Inc. named Rose Hauser senior vice president and chief information officer (CIO). Hauser was executive vice president and CIO for FairPoint Communications....Stateside Associates promoted Robert Holden, Esq. to senior vice president. Holden was vice president of Stateside's health care practice.
- AmeriHealth Caritas said President and CEO Michael Rashid is retiring. Paul Tufano, Independence Blue Cross Executive Vice President and Chairman of the Board of AmeriHealth Caritas, has been appointed CEO of AmeriHealth Caritas, effective March 31.....CareSource promoted Steve Ringel to president of its Ohio market. Ringel was senior vice president of CareSource's market and product group.
- Novus Medical Detox named Manny Correa clinical supervisor. Correa was a program director with Operation PAR....WellPoint, Inc. named Amy Cheslock vice president of payment innovation for provider engagement and contracting within the company’s Commercial and Specialty Business division. Cheslock was vice president of provider engagement and contracting for WellPoint’s Central Region markets.
- The California Public Employees' Retirement System (CalPERS) Board re-elected Rob Feckner as president and elected Priya Mathur as vice president. Feckner joined the CalPERS board as the representative of CalPERS school members in 1999. Mathur is a principal financial analyst for Bay Area Rapid Transit District....CHE Trinity Health named Brian Dietz president and CEO of Saint Francis Healthcare, following eight months as an interim in this role. Dietz brings more than 35 years of health care management experience to this position.
- Express Scripts named Cathy Smith executive vice president (EVP) and chief financial officer (CFO), effective Feb. 10. Smith was EVP of strategy and CFO of Walmart International....Texas Health Resources said CEO Douglas Hawthorne will step down by the end of this year. Hawthorne will continue as CEO until a successor is named.
- WellCare Health Plans, Inc. named Kenneth Burdick president, national health plans. He was president and CEO of Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Minnesota....Epstein Becker & Green, P.C., hired Ted Kennedy, Jr. to join its health care and life sciences practice. Kennedy was president of Marwood Group, a health care advisory firm.
- The FDA’s Center for Drug Evaluation and Research named Gary Gensinger senior advisor for records management, effective Feb. 23. This position is in the Office of Business Informatics, Office of Strategic Programs, where Gensinger has served as deputy director for six years....Century Risk Advisors appointed Katherine Turk vice president, private client manager of the company’s Private Client Division. Turk was assistant vice president, account executive for USI Insurance Services, LLC.
- M. Joseph Medical named Julie M. Norris CEO and owner of the company. She replaces Michael J. Bartlett, who founded the company in 1985. Norris was the company's national sales director....Novavax, Inc. promoted Gregory Glenn, M.D., to senior vice president of research and development, and Louis Fries III, M.D., to vice president and chief medical officer (CMO). Glenn was senior vice president and CMO. Fries was vice president of clinical and medical affairs.
- The Patient-Centered Outcomes Research Institute named Jean Slutsky director of PCORI’s communication and dissemination research program. Slutsky comes to PCORI from the U.S. Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality where she directed the Center for Outcomes and Evidence since 2003....SMC Biotechnology Inc. appointed Darlene Horton, M.D., chief medical officer. Horton was CEO of Nile Therapeutics.
- AmeriHealth Caritas VIP Plans hired Karen Nichols, M.D., as chief medical officer (CMO). Nichols was CMO of the living independently for elders program at the University of Pennsylvania....AMC Health named John Larus senior vice president, solutions development - clinical trials division. Larus was executive vice president of clinical operations at Clinipace Worldwide.
- The FDA named Howard Sklamberg deputy commissioner for Global Regulatory Operations and Policy. Sklamberg was director for the FDA Center for Drug Evaluation and Research's office of compliance....Encoda, LLC appointed Michael Kallish CEO. Kallish was senior vice president of business development for RemitDATA, Inc.
- Humana Inc. named Fernando Valverde, M.D., regional market president for Humana’s South and North Florida Medicare markets. Valverde was CEO of Florida International University, and health and associate dean for community and clinical affairs at the FIU Herbert Wertheim College of Medicine....CareSource, a not-for-profit Medicaid plan, appointed Darren Morgan vice president of strategic marketing. Morgan joins CareSource following a career developing and expanding provider and marketing services for health care organizations into new markets.
- Jeffrey H. Peters, M.D., has been named chief operating officer for University Hospitals in Cleveland. Peters was chair of the department of surgery at Strong Memorial Hospital and the University of Rochester School of Medicine and Dentistry....Delta Point appointed Dean Hart senior vice president. Hart was senior vice president of sales at Takeda Pharmaceuticals North America.
- Integrated Systems Design named Thomas Pawlowicz senior account executive. Pawlowicz was vice president of project management at Jervis B. Webb Company....Northwestern Memorial HealthCare appointed Richard Gannotta president of Northwestern Memorial Hospital and senior vice president of NMHC, effective Feb. 10. Gannotta is president of Duke Raleigh Hospital.
- Webster Financial Corp. named Chad Wilkins executive vice president of Webster and Webster Bank, and head of HSA Bank. Wilkins was president of his own consulting practice specializing in health care and financial services....Ajinomoto Althea Inc. appointed J. David Enloe Jr. president and CEO. Enloe was head of the viral therapeutics business unit at Lonza AG.
- The Sisters of Charity Health System named Terrence Kessler president and CEO, a role he has served in an interim capacity since July 2013. Kessler also continues his role as the health system's general counsel, a role he assumed in June 2012....Cerner Corp. appointed Mitch Daniels to the company's board of directors. Daniels is president of Purdue University, a role he assumed in January 2013 after serving as Governor of Indiana.
- Blue Cross & Blue Shield of Rhode Island appointed Carrie Bridges Feliz to its board of directors. She serves as director of strategic community partnerships for the Providence Public School Department….Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Louisiana promoted David Carmouche, M.D., to executive vice president of external operations and chief medical officer. Carmouche was senior vice president and chief medical officer.
- Rainu Kaushal, M.D., has been named chair of the Department of Healthcare Policy and Research at Weill Cornell Medical College and physician-in-chief of health care policy and research at NewYork-Presbyterian/Weill Cornell Medical Center. Kaushal serves as director of the Center for Healthcare Informatics and Policy and Frances and John L. Loeb professor of medical informatics at Weill Cornell Medical College, and the director of pediatric quality for the Komansky Center for Children's Health at NewYork-Presbyterian Hospital.....Karen DeSalvo, M.D., was appointed national coordinator for the Office of the National Coordinator for Health IT. DeSalvo was health commissioner for New Orleans and senior health policy advisor to Mayor Mitch Landrieu.
- American Specialty Health Inc. (ASH) promoted Debi Heck to senior vice president of innovation solutions. Heck was vice president of program solutions for ASH's wellness subsidiary, Healthyroads....The Blue Cross and Blue Shield Association elected John Forsyth chairman of its board of directors. Forsyth is chairman and CEO at Wellmark Blue Cross and Blue Shield.
- John Ross has been appointed executive vice president of Metrics Inc. Ross was chief operating officer at CPL Ltd....Dentons named Catherine Hess a partner in its health care practice. Hess was senior counsel at the HHS Office of Inspector General.
- Silverlink Communications, Inc. named Dave Magnan senior vice president of services. Magnan was chief technology officer at MedVentive Inc....Chimerix, Inc. appointed Linda Richardson chief commercial officer. Richardson was vice president and head of Sanofi's Global lixisenatide franchise.
- Hub International Insurance Services, Inc. named Arturo Perez-Reyes vice president and privacy and errors & omissions (E&O) lead in the San Francisco commercial division. Perez-Reyes was affiliated with the Barney and Barney, LLC Brokerage in Oakland, Calif., where he served as a client executive and broker specializing primarily in technology E&O risks....Apollo Medical Holdings, Inc. appointed Edward Rotan senior vice president. Rotan was president, CEO and founder of U.S. Dermatology Medical Management.
- BioAgilytix Labs named Jim Datin CEO. Datin was executive vice president and managing director at Safeguard Scientifics....Ropes & Gray hired Thomas N. Bulleit as a partner and head of its health care practice in the Washington, D.C. office. Bulleit comes from Hogan Lovells.
- Humana Inc. appointed Chris Hunter senior vice president and chief strategy officer. He was president of provider markets at The TriZetto Group, Inc. and before that was senior vice president of emerging markets at BlueCross Blue Shield of Tennessee....Matrix Medical Network named Walter Cooper senior vice president of strategy and corporate development officer. Cooper was senior vice president of marketing and sales for WellCare Health Plans.
- AMC Health named Lisa Roberts senior vice president of its government market division. Roberts was vice president, clinical innovations, sales and business development for Viterion Corp....Kinematix appointed Joseph Ternullo president of the company's U.S. subsidiary. Ternullo was associate director of Partners Telemedicine, a division of Partners Healthcare.
- Medicaid Health Plans of America (MHPA) appointed Frank Siano chairman of the board. He is vice president of business development for Medicaid at Aetna Inc. Kearline Jones, vice president of government relations and compliance at Health Partners Plans, will replace Siano as vice chair of MHPA's board....The National Association for the Self-Employed promoted Katie Vlietstra to vice president for government relations and public affairs. Vlietstra was director of government affairs.
- Cody Consulting named Bradley Boyer vice president of sales and marketing. Boyer was regional sales manager for Elemental LED....The National Institutes of Health appointed Philip Bourne associate director for data science. Bourne comes to the NIH from the University of California San Diego, where he is the associate vice chancellor for innovation and industry alliances of the Office of Research Affairs.
- Hemispherx Biopharma, Inc. promoted Thomas Equels to chief financial officer and Adam Pascale to chief accounting officer. Equels currently serves as executive vice chairman, secretary and general counsel for Hemispherx. Pascale has been the controller at Hemispherx for 18 years....The National Alliance on Mental Illness appointed Mary Giliberti executive director. Giliberti has served as a section chief in the Office for Civil Rights at HHS since 2008.
- HCA Gulf Coast named Matt Dixon CEO for Pearland Medical Center. Dixon was the chief operating officer (COO) at St. Mark's Hospital in Salt Lake City....Lyophilization Services of New England promoted Shawn Cain to COO. Cain was vice president of sterile manufacturing.
- MedData, Inc. named Paul Holland national vice president of sales, and Carl Naso corporate controller. Holland was national vice president at QuadraMed Corp. Naso was the business unit controller at Aleris International, Inc....Pamela McInnes was appointed deputy director of the National Center for Advancing Translational Sciences, part of NIH. She currently serves as director of the Division of Extramural Research at the National Institute of Dental and Craniofacial Research.
- Takeda Pharmaceutical Co. named Christophe Weber chief operating officer. Weber was president of GlaxoSmithKline’s vaccine division....Silverlink Communications, Inc. appointed Liz Horgan senior vice president of marketing and solutions. Horgan was senior vice president of marketing and strategy at Health Dialog.
- WellPoint, Inc.’s Anthem Blue Cross and Blue Shield in Connecticut named Jill Rubin Hummel president and general manager, effective Dec. 30. She will replace outgoing president David Fusco. Hummel serves as the vice president of payment innovation for WellPoint....MemorialCare Health System named Diane Laird chief strategy officer. Laird founded and led the Greater Newport Physicians and Nautilus Healthcare Management Group, which became part of the MemorialCare Medical Foundation medical-management system last year.
- Rite Aid promoted Karen Staniforth to group vice president of pharmacy initiatives and clinical services. Staniforth was vice president of pharmacy for the chain's mid-Atlantic division....Biotechnology Industry Organization named Patrick Plues senior director of state government relations. Plues previously led Cephalon's federal government affairs efforts.
- HHS named former Microsoft executive Kurt DelBene a senior advisor in charge of HealthCare.gov. He will replace Jeff Zients....Bradley Boyer joined Cody Consulting as vice president of sales and marketing. Boyer was regional sales manager for Elemental LED.
- Bristol-Myers Squibb Company named Giovanni Caforio executive vice president and chief commercial officer. Caforio was most recently president of U.S. operations....Receptos, Inc. named Christian Waage senior vice president and general counsel. Waage was vice president and general counsel at Websense Inc.
- Cancer Treatment Centers of America named Steve Mackin chief operating officer. Mackin was president and CEO of Cancer Treatment Centers of America at Southwestern Regional Medical Center in Tulsa, Okla....Capstone Performance Systems appointed Neta Kessler project specialist. Kessler was a senior patient assistance case manager for Sarasota Memorial Health Care System.
- WellCare Health Plans, Inc. named John Burke state president of New York. Burke is responsible for WellCare's Medicaid and Medicare Advantage operations in the state. He has been serving on an interim basis since Sept. 23....UCare named Edith Dorsey senior vice president of operations. Dorsey was associate vice president at TriZetto.
- Lithera, Inc. appointed Lincoln Krochmal, M.D., chief medical officer. Krochmal was president and CEO of Excaliard Pharmaceuticals....Walgreen Co. promoted Sona Chawla to president of digital and chief marketing officer. Previously president of e-commerce, Chawla will lead the company’s new digital and marketing division combining and integrating e-commerce, enterprise-wide marketing, and customer loyalty and insights group.
- Huron Consulting Group appointed William Foley managing director of its Huron Healthcare practice. Foley rejoins Huron from Vanguard Health Systems where he served as president of the Chicago market....Edward Kondrot, M.D., has been named clinic director of the Integrative Medicine Clinic at The American Medical College of Homeopathy. Kondrot is currently the president of the Arizona Homeopathic and Integrative Medical Association.
- Nadine Hays was promoted to president of Verisk Health. Hayes was responsible for strategic alliances, sales and marketing across the market segments served by Verisk Health....Bon Secours St. Francis Health System named Anselmo Nuñez, M.D., CEO of Bon Secours Medical Group. Nuñez was senior vice president of the medical operations specialty division for Aurora Medical Group.
- Novasep promoted Nadege Laborde to president of its Industrial Biotech business unit. Since 2009, she has headed the system engineering and construction department....MedImmune named Yong-Jun Liu, M.D., head of research, effective Jan. 6. Liu is vice president and chief scientific officer at the Baylor Research Institute and director of the Baylor Institute for Immunology Research.
- Regence promoted Don Antonucci to president of Regence BlueShield in Washington and Angela Dowling to market president of Regence BlueCross BlueShield of Oregon. Antonucci had been serving as interim market president of Regence BlueShield since August. Dowling was vice president of sales for Regence BlueCross BlueShield of Oregon....BiologicTx named David Jacobs chief technology officer. Jacobs was founder of Silverstone Solutions, which was acquired by BiologicTx.
- Gail Fowler joins Rho as vice president of operations. Fowler was vice president of clinical operations and clinical trial management for ICON Clinical Research....CVS Caremark Corp. selected Helena B. Foulkes to serve as president of CVS/pharmacy, effective Jan. 1, 2014. Foulkes was chief health care strategy and marketing officer responsible for corporate strategy and enterprise marketing, government relations and communications. She succeeds Mark Cosby, who will step down at the end of December after leading the company’s retail business since October 2011.
- Mike Becker was promoted to executive vice president and CEO of the National Association of Professional Insurance Agents. Becker was vice president of federal affairs....Voltarra Pharmaceuticals, Inc. named Richard P. Becker, Jr. CEO. Becker was global brand leader for JETREA at Alcon Laboratories, Inc.
- Curt Palmer has joined SMC Partners LLC, as chief value steward. Palmer was vice president of client services at iHealth Technologies....The Commonwealth Fund named Donald Moulds executive vice president for programs. Moulds was acting assistant secretary, and principal deputy assistant secretary, for planning and evaluation at HHS.
- The University of Maryland appointed Thomas R. Fuerst director of the Institute for Bioscience and Biotechnology Research. Fuerst is founder and chairman of Applied ImmunoGenetics, Inc....Bristol-Myers Squibb Company (BMSC) named Giovanni Caforio executive vice president and chief commercial officer. Carforio was president of U.S. pharmaceuticals at BMSC's Medarex, Inc.
- WellCare Health Plans, Inc. named Robert Hilliard, Jr., M.D., president of Illinois. He will lead WellCare’s Medicare Advantage business, its subsidiary Harmony Health Plan’s Medicaid business and growth initiatives in the state. Hilliard was chief operating officer for UnitedHealthcare’s Community Plan in Texas....CSSi appointed Rose Hunsicker director of business development. Hunsicker comes to CSSI with a history of sales and marketing experience across a wide range of industries, including pharmaceutical, health care information technology and public relations services.
- Health Care Service Corp. unit Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Texas named Jack Towsley divisional senior vice president for the company’s Texas Health Care Delivery segment. He was senior vice president, payor relations for Health Management Associates, Inc.…CVS Caremark Corp. appointed Tracy Bahl executive vice president of health plans. Bahl spent 10 years at UnitedHealth Group, where he served as CEO of the Uniprise division.
- ENT and Allergy Associates named Eric Saidel director of human resources. Saidel was a senior consultant in Navigant Consulting’s Life Sciences Practice....Castlight Health appointed Michele Law chief revenue officer. Law was chief operating officer at OpenDNS.
- Aprecia Pharmaceuticals Company named Don Wetherhold CEO. Wetherhold was senior vice president of long-term care at Omnicare, Inc....CareCloud appointed Kevin Brown vice president of West Coast sales. Brown was an enterprise sales executive at athenahealth.
- The California Public Employees’ Retirement System named Rose McAuliffe chief of the Division of Financial Planning and Policy. McAuliffe was finance budget analyst at the California Department of Finance....Mercy Health System appointed Marcia James vice president for accountable care. James was director of provider engagement at Humana Inc.
- Healthsense, Inc. named Charles Fazio, M.D., chief medical officer (CMO). Fazio was CMO and senior vice president of Medica Health Plans....WellPoint, Inc. appointed Julie Goon senior vice president of public affairs. Goon was senior health policy advisor for the U.S. House of Representatives Energy and Commerce Committee.
- The Cancer Treatment Centers of America appointed Jesus Esquivel, M.D., national director of HIPEC (hyperthermic intraperitoneal chemotherapy). Esquivel was director of the peritoneal surface malignancies program at St. Agnes Health Care Hospital in Baltimore....Greenspoon Marder named Tina Dunsford chair of its health care law practice. Dunsford brings more than 20 years of experience on advising clients on managed care contracting, medical staff issues, compliance, fraud and abuse matters and physician contracting arrangements.
- The AmeriHealth Caritas Family of Companies promoted Jay Powell to executive director for AmeriHealth Caritas VIP Plans in the District of Columbia. Powell was director, market expansion and development for AmeriHealth Caritas....TxCell SA named Damian Marron CEO. Marron was CEO of Cytheris SA.
- Mercer appointed Jack Noble a principal in its health and benefits business in the firm’s Kansas City office. Noble was strategic account executive and vice president of sales and marketing at Coventry Health Care....The Cancer Treatment Centers of America named Giuseppe Del Priore, M.D., national director of gynecologic oncology. Del Priore was director of gynecologic oncology at the Indiana University School of Medicine.
- The WIRB-Copernicus Group (WCG) appointed Shai Feinsod regional executive for Israel. Prior to joining WCG, Feinsod founded Healthcare Strategies....Affimed Therapeutics AG named Jens-Peter Marschner, M.D., chief medical officer. Marschner was vice president at Merck KGaA.
- Huron Consulting Group named Jeff Wasserman a managing director in its Huron Healthcare practice. Wasserman joins Huron from JW Healthcare Strategies, LLC, a firm he founded....WellCare Health Plans, Inc. appointed the company’s chairman of the board, David J. Gallitano, interim CEO. Gallitano replaces Alec Cunningham, who was let go Nov. 1.
- ONL Therapeutics named John Freshley CEO. Freshley was chief business officer at Compendia Bioscience....ActiveCare, Inc. promoted David Lee to chief operating officer. Lee was vice president of operations.
- Eli Lilly and Company promoted Alfonso "Chito" Zulueta to senior vice president and president of the emerging markets business, effective Jan. 1. He will replace Jacques Tapiero, who will retire Jan. 31. Zulueta was president and general manager of Lilly Japan since 2008....Nonin Medical, Inc. named Richard Eagle vice president of sales. Eagle has held various global executive sales and marketing positions at CORPAK MedSystems, Teleflex Medical, Smiths Medical and C.R. Bard.
- Mercer LLC said Jack Noble joined the firm’s Kansas City office as principal in its health and benefits business. He was strategic account executive and vice president of sales and marketing for Coventry Health Care....Cigna named Edward Kim president and general manager for the company's Arizona health plans, in addition to his current role as president of Cigna Medical Group.
- Cleveland BioLabs, Inc. announced that Panacela Labs, Inc., a majority-owned subsidiary of CBLI, named Michael Fonstein CEO and president, replacing Dmitry Tyomkin, who was appointed CEO of Buffalo BioLabs, LLC. Fonstein was president of Cleveland BioLabs, LLC ....Immune Design appointed Frank J. Hsu, M.D., vice president and head of oncology. Hsu was chief medical officer for Zyngenia, Inc.
- Epstein Becker & Green, P.C. said three former CMS officials who most recently worked for Washington, D.C., law firm Dentons have joined their organization. Larry Kocot, former senior advisor to the CMS administrator, joins as a member of the firm’s Health Care and Life Sciences practice; Mark Hamelburg, former director of the Medicare Part C and Part D Analysis Group at CMS, also will be a member of the Health Care and Life Sciences practice; and Thomas Hutchinson, former director of the Medicare Plan Payment Group at CMS, will be a strategic advisor with EBG Advisors....CHE Trinity Health named Richard J. Gilfillan, M.D., president and CEO. Gilfillan was the director of the federal Center for Medicare and Medicaid Innovation.
- Aetna Inc. named Dijuana Lewis executive vice president responsible for its Consumer Products and Enterprise Marketing organization. Lewis was senior vice president of health care solutions at Wal-Mart Stores, Inc., and previously an executive at WellPoint, Inc...Sapiens Steering Brain Stimulation appointed Jan Keltjens president and CEO. Keltjens was chairman, president and CEO of Endosense SA.
- Centene Corp. subsidiary IlliniCare Health Plan appointed Lindsey Artola vice president of external affairs. She had worked for Presence Health as chief external affairs officer....Biodesy, Inc. named Greg Yap CEO. Yap was GE's health care entrepreneur in residence.
- AmeriHealth Caritas Family of Companies named Fred Dickson senior vice president of information solutions. Dickson was vice president of information technology at Coventry Health Care....John R. Mascola, M.D., was named director of the Vaccine Research Center (VRC) at the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases. Mascola was acting director and deputy director of the VRC.
- Just Associates, Inc. named Megan Munns a project supervisor. Munns was a business systems analyst for Aurora Health Care....Harold Sox, M.D., was appointed a senior adviser to the Patient-Centered Outcomes Research Institute. Sox is professor of medicine at Dartmouth College’s Geisel School of Medicine.
- CyVek, Inc. appointed Bill Dubiel chief commercial officer. Dubiel was vice president of sales at Roche Tissue Diagnostics....MDLIVE named Malinda McFarlane chief marketing officer. McFarlane was vice president of marketing for Life Line Screening.
- AMC Health named Hon S. Pak, M.D., chief medical information officer consultant; J. Mark McConnell senior vice president of sales, account management and marketing; Joanne Russell vice president of clinical operations; and Frank Tucker chief information officer consultant. Prior to joining AMC Health, Pak was chief medical officer at LongView International Technology Solutions, Inc. McConnell was Verizon Enterprise Solutions' associate director of mobile health solutions. Russell worked at Optum where she supported and was responsible for the clinical oversight of the delivery of care to medically complex populations. Tucker most recently served as CEO of MicroHealth LLC....Harvard Bioscience, Inc. appointed Yoav Sibony vice president of global sales. Sibony was global sales effectiveness manager at Corning Life Sciences.
- AmeriHealth Caritas Family of Companies named Fred Dickson senior vice president of information solutions. Dickson was vice president of information technology at Coventry Health Care....CareCloud appointed Scott Lentz chief financial officer (CFO). Lentz was CFO of Aprima Medical Software, Inc.
- WellCare Health Plans, Inc. named Blair Todt senior vice president of external affairs. Todt was senior vice president and chief compliance officer. Cyndi Baily, vice president and assistant general counsel, has been promoted to senior vice president and chief compliance officer, replacing Todt....Tufts Health Plan promoted Thomas Croswell to president. He serves as Tufts Health Plan’s chief operating officer and interim president of Network Health, a nonprofit health plan subsidiary of Tufts. He will continue performing the duties associated with these roles.
- Greenphire named Alex Livingstone senior director of business development in Europe. Livingstone was global account manager at Phase Forward....McKesson Health Solutions appointed Ian Gordon senior vice president and general manager for decision management. Gordon was president and CEO of Topaz Shared Services.
- The Indiana Family and Social Services Administration appointed Joseph Moser Indiana Medicaid director, effective Nov. 18. Moser was interim executive director for Medicaid Health Plans of America....Social Interest Solutions named John Caterham president and CEO, effective Oct. 31. Caterham was an account general manager at Computer Sciences Corporation.
- Care Technology Systems named Bobby Wamble chief operating officer. Wamble was vice president of specialty pharmacy field operations at BriovaRx....Voisin Consulting Life Sciences appointed Mark De Rosch vice president of regulatory drugs and biologics and head of U.S. operations. De Rosch was vice president and head of global regulatory affairs at Inspiration Biopharmaceuticals, Inc.
- HealthNow New York, Inc. named Rick Salow vice president of third-party services and David Broome regional sales director for HealthNow Administrative Services. Salow was director of sales service and support at Blue Shield of California. Broome was an independent advisor for health plan strategy consulting....The WIRB-Copernicus Group appointed Lindsay McNair, M.D., chief clinical research officer. McNair was a consultant to pharmaceutical and biotechnology companies.
- Melinta Therapeutics named Lyn Baranowski senior vice president of corporate development and strategy. Baranowski was vice president of commercial development at Pearl Therapeutics....Erin S. DuPree, M.D., has been appointed chief medical officer and vice president of the Joint Commission Center for Transforming Healthcare. DuPree was chief medical officer and senior vice president for medical affairs at The Mount Sinai Medical Center in New York City.
- Novus Medical Detox named Sandra Carey director of nursing. Carey was chief nursing officer, chief clinical officer, director of nursing and director of quality for a Tampa Bay short-term acute care facility....Metrics Inc. appointed Jeffrey Dopf business developer for the West Coast and Midwest regions. Dopf was business development manager for Glatt Pharmaceutical Services Inc.
- The Association for Value-Based Cancer Care named Trisha Sullivan executive director. Sullivan has been involved in improving the care of patients for the past 15 years through educational, industry and nonprofit initiatives....TearLab Corporation promoted Seph Jensen to chief operating officer. Jensen was head of surgical marketing.
- Merck KGaA promoted Belén Garijo to president and CEO of the biopharmaceutical division. Garijo was chief operating officer....Immune Design appointed Jan Henrik ter Meulen, M.D., chief scientific officer. He has led research and development efforts for multiple vaccine and antibody-based programs and directed research teams at Merck & Co.
- MedData, Inc. named Stephen Ghiglieri chief financial officer (CFO) and Dustin Whisenhunt vice president client services and sales – Patient Pay. Ghiglieri was executive vice president, chief operating officer and CFO at NeurogesX, Inc. Whisenhunt was vice president of sales for both Prognosis and TransUnion Healthcare.
- Jaan Sidorov, M.D., has been appointed to the board of directors of PIAA, an insurance trade association representing medical professional liability insurance companies, risk retention groups, captives, trusts, and other entities. Sidorov is chair of the NORCAL Group board of directors....WiserTogether, Inc. named Steven Eno vice president of marketing. Eno was manager of health care programs and marketing at GE Capital.
- Broad and Cassel named Christine Burke Worthen Of Counsel in the firm’s Florida health law practice group. Burke Worthen was assistant general counsel to Eastern Maine Healthcare Systems....Gentris Corporation appointed John Doyle vice president of information technology. Doyle was executive program manager at IBM Global Services.
- Tenex Health said Rom Papadopoulos has resigned as chief financial officer and a member of the board of directors. Ivan Mijatovic, chairman of the company's board of directors, will assume responsibilities as interim CFO....Baxano Surgical, Inc. appointed Greg Slusser vice president of commercial operations. Slusser was vice president of sales and marketing at Defibtech.
- Bone Therapeutics named Wim Goemaere chief financial officer (CFO). Goemaere was CFO at Devgen....KYTHERA Biopharmaceuticals, Inc. appointed Mike Ball to its board of directors. Ball is CEO and director of Hospira.
- WellPoint, Inc. appointed John Short and Elizabeth Tallett to its board of directors. Short is the former CEO of RehabCare Group and Tallett is a principal at Hunter & Partners LLC....Amphion Medical Solutions appointed Subbu Ravi chief operating officer (COO). Ravi was vice president of health care IT solutions and product development at Symphony Corporation and acting COO of Symphony Care-Population Health Management.
- WellCare Health Plans, Inc. said Richard Breon has been appointed to the company’s board of directors. Breon is president and CEO of Spectrum Health System....Complete Genomics, Inc. named Ethan Knowlden senior vice president, general counsel and secretary. Knowlden was vice president of business development and licensing and corporate counsel at Novartis Vaccines and Diagnostics, Inc.
- CAS Medical Systems, Inc. named Brian Wagner chief commercial officer. Wagner was senior vice president and chief marketing officer at Philips Imaging Systems....Competitive Technologies, Inc. appointed Conrad Mir president and CEO. Mir was chief financial officer at Pressure BioSciences, Inc.
- WellCare Health Plans, Inc. named Chrissie Cooper president for Arizona, California and Hawaii. Cooper most recently was president of WellCare's Florida and Hawaii division from December 2009 to March 2013....Marc H. Auerbach joined McDonald Hopkins LLC as a member of the firm's national health care practice group. Auerbach was a partner at K&L Gates.
- Cymetrix named William Harriger senior vice president of compliance. Harriger was corporate Medicare compliance officer at Centene Corp....Keryx Biopharmaceuticals, Inc. appointed Douglass Laidlaw director of medical affairs. Laidlaw was national director of medical science liaisons of the Renal Division at Genzyme/Sanofi.
- ERT named Steven Herne executive vice president and chief commercial officer. Herne was senior vice president of global business development at Icon Development Solutions....BlueCross BlueShield of Tennessee promoted Ron Payne to director of IT risk and compliance. Payne was manager of business continuity.
- Amarantus Bioscience Holdings, Inc. named F. Randall Grimes director of sponsored research. Grimes was vice president of operations at Provista Life Sciences....St. Jude Children's Research Hospital said its director and CEO, William E. Evans, Pharm.D., will retire in July 2014.
- Tenex Health named Jay Hallinan CEO. Prior to Tenex, Hallinan served in a senior executive sales position at Stryker Neurovascular....Dominion Dental Services, Inc. appointed Chris Davis vice president of sales and service. Davis was sales account executive at Delta Dental of Pennsylvania.
- BIOASTER Technology Research Institute named Tom Shepherd CEO. Shepherd was chief business officer at Kymab Ltd....Health Net, Inc. appointed Mike Klimansky administrator of Health Net Access, Inc. Klimansky was director of business development for Preferred Homecare.
- Magellan Health Services Inc. named Sam Srivastava CEO of Magellan Plan Services. Srivastava was president of national and senior segments at Cigna Corp....Phoenix Marketing International appointed Jaime Hodges executive vice president of the Phoenix Healthcare Group. Hodges was pharmaceutical category lead at Millward Brown.
- BlueCross BlueShield of Tennessee promoted Andrea Willis, M.D., to chief medical officer and vice president. Willis was medical director of BlueCross’ CHOICES Long Term Services and Supports Program....GoHealth named Robert Millard chief financial officer (CFO). Millard was CFO at Angie's List, Inc.
- DIA named Barbara Lopez Kunz global chief executive. Kunz was president of the Global Health and Life Sciences business at Battelle....The Blue Cross Blue Shield of Massachusetts Foundation appointed Kaitlyn Kenney Walsh director of policy & research. Walsh was director of policy and research and coordinator of national health care reform at the Commonwealth Health Insurance Connector Authority.
- Actinium Pharmaceuticals, Inc. named Corey Sohmer vice president of finance and business development. Sohmer was senior director of financial planning and external reporting at EpiCept Corp….Trevena, Inc. appointed Roberto Cuca senior vice president and chief financial officer. Cuca was treasurer and senior vice president of finance at Endo Health Solutions Inc.
- Kelley Drye & Warren LLP appointed Holly A. Roth chair of its government contracts practice. Roth was a partner with Manatt, Phelps & Phillips, LLP….Cerami named James Casterton chief financial officer (CFO). Casterton was CFO at WSP SELLS.
- Health Media Network named Joe Petrosino chief revenue officer. Petrosino was senior vice president of pharmaceutical advertising sales for Lifescript....Phoenix House appointed Andrew Kolodny, M.D., chief medical officer. Kolodny was chair of psychiatry at Maimonides Medical Center.
- SuppreMol GmbH named Michael Tansey, M.D., chief development officer. Tansey was chief medical officer at La Jolla Pharmaceutical Company....Humana Inc. appointed Jim Brown California market president for senior products. Brown was the senior vice president at AppleCare Medical Management.
- Catalent Pharma Solutions promoted David Heyens to president of Catalent Asia Pacific. Replacing Heyens as president of Catalent Softgel Technologies will be Aris Gennadios. Gennadios was vice president and general manager of Catalent’s Rx Softgel Technologies....Community Behavioral HealthCare Network of Pennsylvania named Cheryll Bowers-Stephens, M.D., chief medical officer. Bowers-Stephens was a principal consultant with the Schopenhauer Group and a child psychiatrist at the Ochsner Medical Foundation.
- Delta Dental of New Jersey named Dennis Wilson president and CEO. Wilson was president of the Mid-Atlantic region for Coventry Health Care....The National Association of Chain Drug Stores appointed Christopher Smith director of federal public policy. Smith was director of policy and regulatory affairs for the National Community Pharmacists Association.
- Rite Aid promoted Tammy Royer to group vice president of managed care. Royer was vice president of pharmacy initiatives and clinical services....Assurex Health named Gina Coleman Drosos president. She was group president for global beauty care at The Procter & Gamble Company.
- Merck KGaA promoted James Stewart to chief information officer (CIO) of the Merck Group, effective Oct. 1. Stewart joined the biopharmaceutical division of Merck KGaA in 2011....The Guardian Life Insurance Company of America named Caitlin Pincus senior vice president of Strategy and Guardian Labs, and Dean Del Vecchio senior vice president and CIO. Pincus was chief financial officer at J.P. Morgan Asset Management. Del Vecchio was senior vice president, CIO and global head of IT shared services at News Corp.
- BioMarin Pharmaceutical Inc. named Richard Ranieri senior vice president, human resources and corporate affairs. Ranieri was executive vice president of human resources at Dendreon Corp....The Segal Group appointed Helene Dankner senior vice president and chief people officer. Dankner was director of human resources for Buck Consultants.
- VIVUS, Inc. named Seth Fischer CEO. He was a senior executive at Johnson & Johnson. Fischer replaces Anthony Zook, who resigned as CEO, due to recurring issues associated with a medical condition....Cerner promoted Zane Burke to president. Burke was executive vice president of Cerner's client organization.
- WellCare Health Plans, Inc. named Michael Polen senior vice president, operations. Polen’s previous positions at the company included roles in corporate initiatives and strategy, health plan operations and finance. The insurer said in conjunction with Polen’s new role, Walter Cooper's position as chief administrative officer has been eliminated, and he is no longer with WellCare....TMG Health appointed Lori Meyers vice president of operations support services. Meyers was vice president of operations and division chief information officer at Beacon Health Strategies.
- PCCI named Vaidyanatha Siva chief operating officer. Siva was chief technology officer for Infosys Ltd....Novasep appointed Christian Thiry chief financial officer (CFO). Thiry was CFO and group executive committee member of Stallergenes.
- Packaging Coordinators, Inc. named Peter Belden general manager of its Rockford, Ill.-based facilities. Belden was senior vice president of sales and marketing....Kaiser Permanente appointed Karen M. Emmons vice president for research and director of the Kaiser Foundation Research Institute, effective Sept. 30. Emmons is associate dean for research at the Harvard School of Public Health.
- LifeNexus appointed Jamie Hall chief growth officer. Hall was senior vice president of sales for Landacorp....Stateside Associates named John Howell vice president of regulatory services. Howell was vice president at The Pierson Group LLC.
- Merge Healthcare Inc. has accepted the resignation of Michael Ferro, Jr., as chairman and a director of the company and appointed Dennis Brown chairman....North Hill named Min Keun Song, M.D., medical director. Song was a member of the Gerontology Division at Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center.
- Kinney Drugs Inc. promoted Jim Spencer to president. Spencer was chief operating officer....HASCO Medical, Inc. named Jens Mielke chief financial officer. Mielke was an audit partner with Deloitte & Touche LLP.
- The Joint Commission named Tracy Griffin Collander executive director of the commission's Behavioral Health Care Accreditation program. Griffin Collander was an executive director of the Gateway Foundation....MedData, Inc. promoted Ann Barnes to CEO. Barnes was president.
- Mayo Clinic promoted Jeff Bolton to vice president, administration and chief administrative officer, effective Nov. 15. Bolton has been chief financial officer since 2002....Aflac Inc. hired Daniel Lebish as executive vice president and chief operating officer of Aflac Group Insurance. Lebish was executive vice president at Highmark Blue Cross Blue Shield.
- Alameda Health System named Joel Ginsberg director of legislative affairs and community advocacy. Ginsberg joins AHS with nearly 20 years of experience in government, law, management consulting and health policy, including working at the White House under President Clinton....Metrics Inc. appointed Tom Salus director of sales. Salus was associate vice president of business development and contract services for Wockhardt Ltd.
- Health Insurance Innovations, Inc. appointed Paul Gabos to its board of directors. Gabos was chief financial officer of Lincare Holdings Inc....Curis, Inc. named Jaye Viner, M.D., chief medical officer (CMO) and executive vice president, and Tania Chander, Pharm.D., vice president of product development. Viner was CMO at Millennium: The Takeda Oncology Company. Chander was associate director, product development team lead at MedImmune, LLC.
- The Hastings Center appointed Rosemary Gibson a senior advisor. Gibson is an editor for JAMA Internal Medicine and the author of Medicare Meltdown....AccentCare named Jeffrey Sherman chief financial officer (CFO), effective Sept. 16. Sherman was executive vice president and CFO at LifePoint Hospitals.
- Tekmira Pharmaceuticals Corporation named Mark Kowalski, M.D., chief medical officer (CMO) and senior vice president. Prior to Tekmira, Kowalski was with the oncology and inflammation therapeutic area at Gilead Sciences, Inc....NeoStem, Inc. appointed Douglas Losordo, M.D., CMO. Losordo was vice president, new therapies development, regenerative medicine and Baxter Ventures at Baxter International.
- Elite Pharmaceuticals, Inc. named Doug Plassche executive vice president of operations. Plassche was managing director of Actavis' New Jersey solid oral dose operations....Dawn Weber has been appointed manager of community relations for BlueCross BlueShield of Tennessee. Weber was foundation director at Alexian Brothers Health System.
- BlueCross BlueShield of Tennessee named Sonya King, Pharm.D., pharmacy director for government programs. King was vice president of pharmacy and overall benefit design at Windsor Health Plan....Mountain States Health Alliance appointed Alan Levine president and CEO. Levine joins MSHA after more than 20 years in hospital operations and in public service.
- UCare named Gregory Hanley quality management director and John Rotilie, M.D., associate medical director. Hanley was regional director of quality improvement at Coventry Health Care in Kansas City, Mo. Rotilie is an internal medicine physician with Rotilie, Toman, and McRaith, LLC, in St. Paul, Minn....Mercer hired Kerry Schnier as a principal in its health and benefits division. Schnier was a senior benefits consultant for Aon Hewitt.
- ERT named James Corrigan executive vice president and chief operating officer. Corrigan was CEO of GE Healthcare's surgery business....Castlight Health appointed Motasim Najeeb vice president of engineering. Najeeb was a founding team member of Healtheon, which merged with WebMD, LLC in 1999.
- TeraRecon named Jeff Sorenson senior vice president of global sales, marketing and business development. Sorenson was director of health care sales and solutions at Hyland Software....Arnold & Porter LLP appointed Marilyn May litigation counsel with a focus on health care, pharmaceutical and medical device industry defense work. May was head of health care fraud enforcement in the U.S. Attorney’s Office in the Eastern District of Pennsylvania.
- Drug Innovation Ventures at Emory, LLC named David Perryman chief operations officer. Perryman was CEO and a founder of Zirus, Inc....Hyperion Therapeutics appointed Larry Singer vice president of manufacturing. Singer was was president of NexGen Consulting Group, LLC.
- Teledyne Leeman Labs and Teledyne Tekmar named Karnel Walker global sales director. Walker was the Northeast regional sales manager at PerkinElmer’s Environmental Health Group....InnoPharma, Inc. appointed Deborah DuFresne vice president of strategic portfolio selection and management. DuFresne was senior director of project management, product identification and development at Impax Laboratories.
- Moderna Therapeutics named Joseph Bolen president of Research and Development. Bolen was chief scientific officer of Millennium Pharmaceuticals....The California HealthCare Foundation appointed Sandra R. Hernández, M.D., president and CEO, effective Jan. 2, 2014. Hernández was director of the San Francisco Department of Public Health.
- Metrics Inc. appointed Wes Edwards chief financial officer. Edwards was the controller and finance director of two affiliated divisions of MBM Customized Foodservice Distribution....Healthation, Inc. named Delloise Meier chief operating officer. Meier was senior vice president of technology operations and revenue cycle management at MedAssets.
- Employer Direct Healthcare named Thomas Johnston CEO. He was vice president at Paragon Health and a director at Navigant Consulting’s Healthcare Division....Advanced Clinical appointed Cheryle Evans vice president of clinical operations. Evans was vice president of clinical operations for North America at inVentiv Clinical Solutions.
- Cigna named Scott Evelyn president and general manager for the company’s Tri-State market, which includes New York, New Jersey and a small portion of southwestern Connecticut, effective Sept. 1. Evelyn now serves as Cigna’s president and general manager for Florida....The California Public Employees' Retirement System named Liana Bailey-Crimmins chief information officer (CIO). She was CIO for California Correctional Health Care Services.
- Horizon Blue Cross Blue Shield of New Jersey promoted Mark Calderon, M.D., to vice president and chief medical officer of its wholly owned subsidiary, Horizon NJ Health. Calderon was executive medical director of quality management for Horizon BCBSNJ....DIA named Barbara Lopez Kunz global chief executive, effective Sept. 1. Kunz was president of the global health and life sciences business at Battelle.
- Adrienne Mims, M.D., medical director of Alliant GMCF, was named president of the American Health Quality Association. Mims will serve a one-year term....AMC Health appointed Michael J. O'Brien resident of its clinical trials division. O'Brien was president and CEO of Beardsworth.
- Emory University and Drug Innovation Ventures at Emory, LLC appointed George Painter CEO of DRIVE and director of the Emory Institute for Drug Development. Painter was executive vice president of research and development at Triangle Pharmaceuticals, Inc....Alcobra Ltd. named Jonathan Rubin, M.D., chief medical officer, effective Aug. 26. Rubin was medical director in global medical affairs at Shire Pharmaceuticals.
- Receptos, Inc. appointed Erle Mast a director of the company. Mast is a co-founder of Clovis Oncology, Inc. and has served as its executive vice president and chief financial officer since 2009....Astellas Pharma Global Development, Inc. named Claire Thom, Pharm.D., senior vice president of global oncology development. Thom was senior vice president of portfolio management, drug development management and strategic business operations at Millennium.