Dates included below correspond to the issue of AIS’s Health Business Daily in which “People News” appeared.
- ZERO – The End of Prostate Cancer appointed Leo Giambarresi, Ph.D., to its board of directors. Giambarresi retired from the post of director of research for the American Urological Association Foundation earlier this year….Neurotrope, Inc. appointed Larry Altstiel, M.D., Ph.D., to the board of directors. He is also CEO of Provectra Therapeutics Inc….Trovagene, Inc. named Alberto Bardelli, Ph.D., to the scientific advisory board. He currently works in the oncology department of the Torino Medical School at the Institute for Cancer Research in Candiolo, Italy.
- WebMD named Mike Fogarty executive vice president of consumer sales and product marketing. He was previously executive vice president of the Kaboose Network….Judith Johnson, M.D., was appointed vice president of pharmacovigilance and pharmacoepidemiology for AMAG Pharmaceuticals, Inc. She has previously worked in pharmacovigilance for AMAG and other companies….Deloitte Consulting LLP named Danielle Moon specialist leader in the life sciences and health care industry practice and federal health sector. She was most recently a member of the senior executive service for CMS.
- The FDA’s Center for Drug Evaluation and Research named Grail Sipes, J.D., director of the Office of Regulatory Policy. She was previously senior regulatory counsel....New Directions Behavioral Health appointed John Langlow, M.D., medical director. Langlow previously served as the first president of the Autism Society of Alabama....TeamHealth Holdings Inc. named Oliver Rogers executive vice president and COO. He was most recently president of hospital-based services.
- Louis Silverman was appointed to STAAR Surgical Company’s board of directors. He is currently the chairman and CEO of Advanced ICU Care, Inc.…Purdue Pharma L.P. named Susie Robinson vice president of human resources. She was previously head of human resources at Lumeris….The Society for Cardiovascular Angiography and Intervention (SCAI) appointed Lisa Olson executive director. She was most recently the founder of aha Group.
- Independence Blue Cross named Kimberly Kockler vice president of government affairs. She previously held the same title at Blue Cross of Northeastern Pennsylvania….Maryland Sen. Ben Cardin (D) was elected to the Alliance for Health Reform’s board as honorary co-chairman. Cardin is taking over for West Virginia Sen. Jay Rockefeller (D), who is retiring at the end of the year, and will serve alongside Missouri Sen. Roy Blunt (R)…Array BioPharma Inc. appointed Victor Sandor, M.D., chief medical officer. He was previously senior vice president of global clinical development at Incyte Corporation.
- Paul A. Gomez was hired as a member of Epstein Becker Green’s L.A. office. He is working in the health care, life sciences and corporate service practice. Gomez was previously with Paul Hastings….MRI Interventions, Inc. appointed Frank Grillo CEO. He was a senior executive responsible for marketing and business development functions at Intuitive Surgical, Inc. Former CEO Kimble Jenkins assumes the title of executive chairman effective Jan. 1….Ipsen Biopharmaceuticals, Inc. named Dennis Kim senior vice president of North American medical and regulatory affairs. He was previously vice president and head of medical affairs at Spectrum Pharmaceuticals.
- ERT promoted Jim Corrigan to president and CEO, in addition to appointing him to the board. He was previously executive vice president and COO. Former president and CEO Jeffrey S. Litwin will assume the role of chief scientific and strategic consultant….CVS Health named Mary Langowski vice president of strategy, policy and market development, effective Oct. 14. Langowski was previously with international law firm DLA Piper as chair of health care policy and regulatory practice….David Sides was named executive vice president and COO of Streamline Health Solutions, Inc. Sides was most recently the CEO of iMDSoft.
- Tower MSA Partners named Holly Neary director of clinical operations. She was most recently director and pharmacy manager at Carter’s Pharmacies in Florida….The U.S. Pharmacopeial Convention appointed Jeffrey L. Sturchio president and CEO of its consulting firm Rabin Martin. He was previously senior partner….Andrew Lake is assuming the role of senior vice president and head of accident and health for Swiss Re Corporate Solutions’ North American operations. He succeeds Jeff Argotsinger, who is retiring after 24 years with the company.
- Chimerix, Inc. appointed W. Garrett Nichols as chief medical officer. Nichols was most recently the head of global development at ViiV Healthcare….Catalyst Pharmaceuticals Partners, Inc. named David D. Muth to the newly created position of executive vice president, corporate development. Muth spent the last four years as president and CEO of Croma Pharmaceuticals Inc.….Colleen Kucera is taking on the role of executive director with the International Association of Healthcare Security & Safety. Kucera was previously the executive director with Signium International.
- Comprehensive Pharmacy Services named Gentry Hughes executive vice president of development. Hughes is leaving GE Healthcare, where he headed up the U.S. Clinical System Sales and Marketing Division....Celator Pharmaceuticals named Michael Dougherty chairman of the board of directors. Dougherty has been a member of the board since July 2013.
- Theraclion appointed David Caumartin CEO, succeeding Stefano Vagliani. Caumartin previously spent 14 years with GE Healthcare. The company also named Anja Kleber vice president of marketing/market access. Kleber comes from Siemens’ medical division.
- Allan Meyers, the chief operating officer of Regional Reporting Inc., has been appointed CEO. He succeeds Louis Siegel, who is continuing with the company as chairman.…The Georgia Association of Health Underwriters named Jodie Braner state president. Braner was formerly the vice president of the Hays Companies of Georgia.
- Universal American Corp. named Colleen Schmidt president of the Medicaid and Medicare health plan’s Northeast region. Schmidt most recently was vice president of government programs, clinical operations, at Excellus BlueCross BlueShield….Apotex promoted Jeremy B. Desai to president and CEO. He most recently was the pharmaceutical company’s president and chief operating officer. Jack Kay, the former CEO of Apotex, was named vice chairman of the board.
- Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Kansas City announced the retirement of President and CEO David Gentile due to recent bouts with back-related health problems. Danette Wilson has been named interim president and CEO. Wilson served as group executive, external operations and chief marketing executive, responsible for integrated health services, wellness solutions, marketing, sales, underwriting and ancillary products….Matrix Medical Network hired Heidi Wold as vice president, chronic care, responsible for leading the company's expanding role in supporting the ongoing care of health plan members with challenging health conditions. Wold most recently served as vice president of operations at Walgreen Co.'s Take Care Health Systems, Consumer Solutions Group.
- WIRB-Copernicus Group appointed David Borasky vice president of quality management for the Copernicus Group Independent Review Board. Prior to joining WCG, Borasky served as deputy director in the Office of Human Research Ethics at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill….MSC, a health care performance improvement company, promoted Mary Beth Loesch to president and CEO. Loesch joined MSC in 2013 as executive vice president of corporate development and health care.
- Magellan Health, Inc. named Karen Amstutz, M.D., chief medical officer, responsible for setting the strategic roadmap and vision for Magellan’s clinical strategy and policy. Amstutz most recently was vice president of medical affairs at Evolent Health....The American Association of Poison Control Centers named Stephen T. Kaminski executive director and chief executive officer. Kaminski previously was executive vice president and general counsel at the American Humane Association.
- The Medical Group Management Association said Jerard J. Jensen will serve as the association’s interim chief executive officer, succeeding Susan L. Turney, M.D., who resigned in July to become CEO of the newly formed Marshfield Clinic Health System in Marshfield, Wis. Jensen, a health care attorney with Whyte Hirschboeck Dudek in Madison, Wis., will serve on a part-time basis while the association continues to recruit for Turney’s replacement....Tel Aviv, Israel-based drug discovery company Compugen Ltd. appointed Ari Krashin chief financial officer. Krashin previously served as chief financial officer of Gilat Satellite Networks.
- Fidelis SeniorCare appointed Alec Cunningham president and chief executive officer (CEO). Sam Willcoxon, founder and former CEO, will remain with the company, serving as chairman. Cunningham is the former CEO of WellCare Health Plans, Inc....Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Louisiana Executive Vice President and Chief Operating Officer Peggy Scott will retire in summer 2015....New Jersey specialty pharmaceutical company Ipsen named Cynthia Schwalm president and CEO of Ipsen North America.
- Biopharmaceutical company Galena Biopharma, Inc. appointed Mark W. Schwartz, Ph.D., president and CEO. He replaces Mark J. Ahn, Ph.D., who resigned to pursue other goals. Schwartz was appointed executive vice president and chief operating officer in 2011 following Galena's acquisition of Apthera, Inc., where he was president and CEO….Health information technology firm Pulse Systems, Inc. named Michael Morrison chief technology officer and senior vice president of product development. Prior to joining Pulse, Morrison founded several technology ventures and led technology and product management in public and privately held companies.
- Health Net, Inc. promoted James Woys to executive vice president, chief financial and operating officer, and interim treasurer. Woys had been executive vice president and chief operating officer since November 2007. Woys will replace current Chief Financial Officer (CFO) Joseph Capezza, who is retiring. Capezza will have a consulting contract with the company through the end of the year to assist with transition issues....WellCare Health Plans, Inc. named Andrew Asher senior vice president, effective Aug. 29, and expects the board to appoint him as CFO in November. Asher now is the CFO of Aetna, Inc.’s Local and Regional Businesses....Greg Scott, a principal with Deloitte Consulting LLP, was appointed principal vice chairman and national sector leader for Deloitte's health plans practice.
- Mercer added four consultants to its Midwest Health & Benefits business. Jeff Smith, formerly senior vice president and senior strategy and design consultant in Aon Hewitt’s Health & Benefits practice, is a principal and senior health and benefits consultant based in Chicago. Tyler Harshey, most recently director of national accounts actuarial at Aetna, rejoined Mercer’s consulting team in Chicago as a principal and lead actuary for the Mercer Marketplace Group Active Exchange solution in North America. Matthew Rehmann, previously vice president of sales and marketing at Integrated Health Systems, was named the Midwest exchange sales leader. And Rey Balcazar, a principal in Mercer’s Employee Health & Benefits practice, was promoted to Midwest exchange solution leader....AMAG Pharmaceuticals, Inc. appointed Robert Blood vice president of legal affairs and chief compliance officer. He most recently served as associate general counsel at EMD Serono, Inc.
- BlueCross BlueShield of Tennessee named Tom Winston director of provider contracting for West and Middle Tennessee, responsible for defining and directing contracting strategies and negotiations for physicians, hospitals and other providers in these two regions. Winston previously served as the corporate director of revenue and relationship management for Novant Health, Inc., in Charlotte, N.C….Oklahoma City-based Foundation Healthcare, Inc., which focuses on the development and management of surgical hospitals and related ancillary services, appointed Travis Crenshaw chief information officer. Crenshaw was previously with United Surgical Partners International.
- Molina Healthcare, Inc. appointed Keith Wilson, M.D., chief medical officer, responsible for establishing clinical policy and oversight of medical management functions of all the company’s health plan subsidiaries. He was previously the vice president of clinical services for the Molina Medical Group clinics and American Family Care….Anavex Life Sciences Corp., a clinical-stage biopharmaceutical company, named Tasos Zografidis, Ph.D., vice president, clinical operations. He most recently served as a clinical and pharmaceutical consultant.
- GenerationOne, a mobile health technology solutions provider, said engagement behavior designer Kyra Bobinet, M.D., will serve as a consultant to the company. Bobinet is CEO of engagedIN, a behavior design firm for the health and wellness industry, and an instructor at Stanford University School of Medicine....Gregory T. Lucier was appointed as a corporate advisor to Organovo Holdings, Inc., a three-dimensional biology company. In the role, Lucier will advise CEO Keith Murphy and the executive management team on various corporate issues. Lucier was formerly chairman and CEO of Life Technologies.
- GS1 US appointed Michael Innes vice president, healthcare, with responsibility for leading GS1 Healthcare US. Prior to joining GS1 US, Innes was a program director with Kaiser Permanente where he managed strategic projects designed to extend the value of GS1 Standards within and beyond the supply chain….Diplomat President Gary Kadlec was elected to the board of directors for the American Foundation of Pharmaceutical Education. Kadlec will serve a three-year term as a board member.
- Cardinal Health announced that John F. Finn, lead director of the company since 2009 and chair of the Nominating and Governance Committee since 2012, has decided not to stand for re-election. Effective Nov. 1, 2014, the board appointed Gregory B. Kenny as lead director and chair of the Nominating and Governance Committee. Kenny has served as a director since 2007....HemoSonics, a medical diagnostic company, named Timothy J. Fischer president and CEO. Prior to joining HemoSonics, Fischer served as chief operating officer for LipoScience, a publicly traded in vitro diagnostics company.
- CompuGroup Medical US promoted Werner Rodorff to CEO and senior vice president, North America. He succeeds Norbert H. Fischl in the role. Rodorff joined CompuGroup in 2009 and most recently served as general manager of the company's Health Connectivity Services division....Quanta Fluid Solutions Ltd named Willem Baralt chief financial officer. Prior to joining Quanta, Baralt was managing director of a private investment office, Mercantile Group.
- The American Association of Homecare elected Dave Cormack, president of Brightree, to the AAHomecare Board of Directors....OncoGenex Pharmaceuticals, Inc. appointed John A. Bencich vice president and chief financial officer (CFO). Bencich previously served as CFO of Integrated Diagnostics Inc.
- Alameda Health System named Mark S. Fratzke chief operating officer of the system and chief administrative officer for Highland Hospital. He most recently was chief operating officer of the Mayo Clinic's Southwest Minnesota region….The Joint Commission promoted Stacy C. Olea to executive director of its Laboratory Services Accreditation program. Olea previously was the laboratory field director and interim ambulatory field director at The Joint Commission.
- Seattle Children's promoted Mark Del Beccaro, M.D., to senior vice president and chief medical officer. Del Beccaro, who now serves as vice president of medical affairs, will replace David Fisher, M.D., who is retiring….CNA Financial Corp. appointed Gary DelBuono vice president of product management, effective Aug. 11. He will oversee enterprise product development, partnering closely with underwriting in developing product solutions for CNA's Commercial and Specialty lines. DelBuono comes to CNA from Liberty Mutual, where he served as senior vice president and product manager in the General Liability space.
- Tandigm Health, a joint venture between Independence Blue Cross and DaVita HealthCare Partners, appointed Kenneth Goldblum, M.D., chief medical officer. Tandigm Health is a network of primary care physicians in southeastern Pennsylvania dedicated to improving quality and efficiency through physician-led, coordinated care. Goldblum previously was the medical director of Gateway Medical Associates, a large primary group practice, and chief medical officer of Renaissance Health Network, an IPA….Molecular oncology diagnostics company Biocept, Inc. named Amy McNeal senior director of managed care and reimbursement strategies. She joins Biocept from GE Healthcare, where she was manager of the North American Managed Care unit.
- Alameda Health System appointed Kinzi Richholt chief nurse executive. Richholt joined Alameda in February 2014 as the interim chief nurse executive. Prior to that, she served as a consultant for Kaiser Permanente Medical Center in Antioch, Calif., where she implemented strategic initiatives to improve care experience and significantly raised Hospital Consumer Assessment of Healthcare Providers and Systems (HCAHPS) scores…. Nutrinsic Corp. named David Hutchinson vice president of technical services and Daniel Beckett controller. Hutchinson previously was senior vice president of operations at RiceBran Technologies and director of quality and regulatory affairs at Bioriginal Food and Science. Beckett has over 30 years of accounting and financial experience with a number of companies including Coca-Cola and American Express.
- Marathon Pharmaceuticals appointed Jeanine M. Swalec vice president of regulatory affairs. She most recently served as the senior director for global regulatory affairs for Lundbeck Pharmaceuticals....CareSource appointed David Kaelber, M.D., Ph.D., to its board of trustees. Kaelber is a practicing internist, pediatrician and the chief medical informatics officer of The MetroHealth System in Cleveland, Ohio. He is also director of MetroHealth’s Center for Clinical Informatics Research and Education and MetroHealth’s Clinical Informatics Fellowship program.
- UCare named Alvaro H. Sanchez, M.D., associate medical director in the non-profit health plan’s Clinical and Quality Management department. Dr. Sanchez most recently was regional medical director of primary care for Park Nicollet Health Services (PNHS)-Minnesota….Salt Lake Community College has named JoAnne Wright dean of the School of Health Sciences, which oversees programs in the College’s nursing and allied health fields. Wright has held faculty positions at several major universities, including the University of Utah.
- Egalet Corp. appointed Jeffrey M. Dayno, M.D., chief medical officer, responsible for leading Egalet's clinical development programs as well as overseeing the activities in regulatory affairs, pharmacovigilance and medical affairs. He most recently served as vice president, global medical affairs, at ViroPharma....CareSource appointed Douglas A. Fecher to the board of trustees. Fecher is president and CEO of Wright-Patt Credit Union.
- Aegerion Pharmaceuticals, Inc. promoted Craig Fraser to chief operating officer. He previously was president, U.S. and international commercial and global manufacturing and supply chain at Aegerion. The company also promoted Carolina Alarco to president, international and Johanna Sealscott to vice president, U.S. sales. Ms. Alarco previously was vice president and general manager, international, and Ms. Sealscott was regional sales director for JUXTAPID….Matrix Medical Network appointed Lori LeGrow vice president, contact center operations. She previously was a call center executive at Ultimate Medical Academy.
- Texas Health Resources promoted Barclay E. Berdan to CEO, effective Sept. 1. Berdan replaces longtime CEO Doug Hawthorne. Berdan previously was the health system’s senior executive vice president and chief operating officer....Dwight Zivo was named vice president of marketing for Chicago-based Parr Insurance Brokerage. Most recently, Zivo was the owner and founder of Chicago-based NB Independent Brokerage, an independent financial services agency....CannaMed Corp. named Vinisha Agnihotri vice president of finance and head of the medical research committee. Agnihotri previously operated a private consulting business.
- Alameda Health System appointed David Cox chief financial officer. He most recently served as chief financial officer of Marin General Hospital and Marin Healthcare District….One Call Care Management said Kim Radcliffe was promoted to president of the Align Networks business unit. Radcliffe most recently served as vice president of operations and has been with Align Networks since 2006….Advanced Medical Strategies named Alice Jamba vice president of clinical services. Her role will be to assist the company with clinical research and product development.
- New York-Presbyterian Hospital named Henry H. Ting, M.D., senior vice president and chief quality officer, effective July 21, 2014. Most recently, Dr. Ting was a professor of medicine and served as the associate dean for the Mayo Clinic College of Medicine. He also served as the director for the Mayo Clinic Quality Academy....Signal Genetics, Inc. appointed Tamara A. Seymour as chief financial officer. She replaces Robert Johnson, who resigned effective Aug. 4, 2014. Seymour joins Signal from HemaQuest Pharmaceuticals, Inc., where she oversaw all financial, accounting and administrative functions of the company.
- Mark VanderWerf, vice president of eHealth and OEM at Nonin Medical, Inc., was elected chairman of the American Telemedicine Association's Industry Council and will join the ATA's Board of Directors....Magellan Health, Inc. appointed Kay Coles James to its board of directors. James is president of the Gloucester Institute and previously served as director of the U.S. Office of Personnel Management under George W. Bush....Hill, Chesson & Woody, an employee benefits firm, appointed McKenzie Watts consultant coordinator. Watts previously was a benefits analyst with HCW from 2007 to 2012.
- The Independent Insurance Agents & Brokers of America named Wyatt Stewart director of federal government affairs, working in its Capitol Hill office. Stewart previously served as advisor for policy and coalitions for House Majority Leader Eric Cantor (R-Va.)....Susan L. Turney, M.D., has resigned as president and CEO of the Medical Group Management Association, effective Sept. 1. She will serve as CEO of the newly formed Marshfield Clinic Health System in Marshfield, Wis. Until a successor is named, MGMA leaders will assume increased responsibility.
- Kathleen Regan will become The Commonwealth Fund’s executive vice president and chief operating officer on Jan. 1, 2015, succeeding John E. Craig, Jr. Regan was a venture partner at Radius Ventures....SRS named Scott Ciccarelli CEO. Ciccarelli was a senior executive at GE Healthcare.
- Cover Oregon named Aaron Patnode executive director. Patnode was director of business development at Kaiser Permanente Northwest….Silver State Health Insurance Exchange in Nevada appointed Bruce Gilbert executive director. He was a principal at Texas-based HIX Partners and former benefits administrator for Ohio. He replaces Jon Hager who resigned in February.
- Health Care Service Corp. named Steve Betts chief information officer. He is replacing Brian Hedberg, who announced his retirement earlier this year. Betts was chief information officer at Aon….BlueCross BlueShield of Tennessee promoted Steven Johns to director of individual sales. He was the manager of individual sales for the Blues plan.
- The Hospital & Healthsystem Association of Pennsylvania (HAP) appointed Kaitlyn Byrnes manager, media relations. Byrnes comes to HAP from the American Trauma Society, PA Division, where she has served as public relations/program development director, managing media relations, maintaining the division brand, developing social media and web strategies, writing and editing publications and reports, and coordinating education events....UCare named Kerry Bendel director of pharmacy. Bendel was associate vice president of product development at Prime Therapeutics.
- The American Benefits Council promoted Jason Hammersla to senior director of communications and named Jessica Chirico communications assistant. Chirico is a recent graduate of East Carolina University in Greenville....Alameda Health System appointed Terry Lightfoot director of government and community relations. Lightfoot was community relations and outreach manager for L. Luster & Associates.
- Buck Consultants, a Xerox Company, appointed Bruce Sherman, M.D., medical director of RightOpt, the firm's private health insurance exchange. He was consulting corporate medical director for Wal-Mart Stores, Inc....California’s public exchange Covered California named Yolanda Richardson chief deputy executive director of strategy, marketing and product development and Susannah Johnsrud chief deputy executive director of operations. Richardson joined Covered California in April 2012 as deputy chief operations officer. Johnsrud was director of the Financial Information System for California.
- David Queller is leaving Aetna Inc. and his role as head of national accounts to join Express Scripts Holding Co. as senior vice president for sales and account management….Assurant, Inc. named Robyn Price Stonehill executive vice president, chief human resources. She was the senior vice president for compensation, benefits and shared services. Stonehill succeeds Sylvia Wagner, who is retiring this year following 40 years with the company.
- Aetna Inc. said Harold Paz, M.D., will be the insurer’s executive vice president and chief medical officer. Paz was the CEO of Penn State Hershey Medical Center and Health System, senior vice president for health affairs for Penn State University, dean of its College of Medicine and professor of medicine and public health sciences....Blue Cross Blue Shield of Alabama promoted Dow Briggs, M.D., to chief business officer. He was senior vice president, business operations.
- Sunshine Heart, Inc. named Brian Brown senior vice president of operations and technology. Brown was R&D, vice president cardiovascular at Boston Scientific....Express Scripts hired David Queller to serve as senior vice president, sales and account management. Queller joins Express Scripts from Aetna Inc., where he was senior vice president, national accounts.
- The Academy of Managed Care Pharmacy (AMCP) appointed John Mackowiak vice president of pharmacy and education, April Shaughnessy deputy to the CEO and Kevin Bruns vice president of communications and marketing. Mackowiak was editor-in-chief of the Journal of Managed Care & Specialty Pharmacy. Shaughnessy was AMCP's director of mission advancing initiatives and governance. Since 1996, Bruns has been a public affairs consultant and writer for numerous health care organizations....Mayne Pharma named Blake Cullen vice president of business development for its U.S. generic products division. Cullen was executive director, business development at Rhodes Pharmaceuticals.
- Peter M. Marino, director of the Rhode Island Office of Management and Budget, was appointed CEO of the Neighborhood Health Plan of Rhode Island, effective Sept. 1. Marino will succeed interim CEO Jim Hooley....Scioderm, Inc. named Ronald Nardi chief scientific officer. Nardi was executive vice president of regulatory affairs and quality assurance at International Partnership for Microbicides.
- Humana Inc. hired Douglas Stoss as vice president of federal affairs. Stoss comes from Bristol-Myers Squibb, where he served as director of market access strategy.... Magellan Health, Inc. named Stewart Lavelle chief sales and marketing officer. Lavelle was senior vice president of sales and marketing at Coventry Health Care.
- America's Health Insurance Plans named Mark Hamelburg senior vice president of federal programs. Hamelburg was a member of Epstein Becker & Green....AMAG Pharmaceuticals, Inc. appointed Melissa Bradford Klug senior vice president of business development and strategy. Klug was vice president of business development and licensing at Mallinckrodt Pharmaceuticals.
- WellCare Health Plans, Inc. promoted Kelly Munson to region president for Arkansas, Kentucky, Mississippi and Tennessee. Munson was named chief operating officer of WellCare of Kentucky in August 2012, and in 2013 was named state president of Kentucky....Celladon Corporation named Elizabeth Reed vice president and general counsel. Reed was senior vice president, legal affairs, general counsel and corporate secretary at Anadys Pharmaceuticals, Inc.
- Effective July 7, Ian Bushell, former corporate medical director at BlueCross BlueShield of Tennessee, will become chief clinical integration officer at Integrated Solutions Health Network....Bristol-Myers Squibb Company promoted Giovanni Caforio, M.D., to chief operating officer. Caforio was chief commercial officer.
- Karen Remley, M.D., has been named chief medical director of Anthem Blue Cross and Blue Shield in Virginia. She replaces Jay Schukman, M.D., who accepted another role in the organization leading the clinical efforts for Anthem’s parent company’s East Region. Remley is a former commissioner of health for the Commonwealth of Virginia….David Rosenberg has joined Horizon Blue Cross Blue Shield of New Jersey, where he will be responsible for leading the carrier’s strategic financial initiatives and functions. He was senior vice president, finance and interim chief financial officer for Hertz Corp.
- Neighborhood Health Plan of Rhode Island named Peter Marino CEO effective from Sept. 1. Marino is the director of the Rhode Island Office of Management and Budget. He succeeds Jim Hooley, who was interim CEO since November 2012….Symphony Performance Health appointed Sandra Loder senior vice president and chief legal counsel. She was general counsel for payers in Medicare, Medicaid and the commercial space, including as general counsel for Clear One Health Plans, Inc.
- ActiveCare, Inc. named Earl Hurst senior vice president of business development. He was market president of Humana Utah….Univita Health appointed Michael Muchnicki CEO. Muchnicki was CEO of Windsor Health.
- Shopko named Michael Cantrell senior vice president of retail health. Cantrell comes from Delhaize America, where he was vice president of pharmacy....Steven J. Stack, M.D., an emergency physician practicing in Lexington, Ky., was named president-elect of the American Medical Association. Stack will assume the office of AMA president in June 2015.
- Teva Pharmaceutical Industries named Sigurdur Olafsson president and CEO of global specialty medicines. Olafsson was president at Actavis plc....CNA Financial Corporation promoted Matt Szabo to assistant vice president, commercial underwriting officer for the Chicago, Illinois and Wisconsin Branches. Szabo was branch underwriting director for the Chicago Branch.
Shopko named Michael Cantrell senior vice president of retail health. Cantrell comes from Delhaize America, where he was vice president of pharmacy....Steven J. Stack, M.D., an emergency physician practicing in Lexington, Ky., was named president-elect of the American Medical Association. Stack will assume the office of AMA president in June 2015.
Ferguson Partners Ltd. named Dorothy M. Billingsly managing director of its Chicago office. For 14 years, she led Billingsly Associates....EmployerDirect appointed John Relic executive vice president of its provider network. Relic was a director of physician services at Huron Consulting Group.
- WellCare Health Plans, Inc. promoted Kenneth Burdick to president and chief operating officer. He was president, national health plans....Avalere Health appointed Robert Carter senior vice president, Andrew Cohen vice president and Greg Hall vice president in the patient access solutions practice. Carter was the development executive for Welsh Carson Anderson and Stowe. Cohen comes from the Brookings Institution’s Engelberg Center for Health Care Reform, where he was a managing director. Hall was vice president, patient and provider services at Covance.
- The Hospital & Healthsystem Association of Pennsylvania appointed Kaitlyn Byrnes manager, media relations. Byrnes comes to HAP from the American Trauma Society, where she served as public relations/program development director….San Francisco-based SeaChange Health named Christopher Kelly chief marketing officer – solutions. Previously, Kelly was senior marketing advisor for Covered California, the California public exchange.
- American HomePatient, Inc. named Barbara “Be” Stark senior vice president of business development. Stark was senior vice president of sales at Univita Health....Novartis appointed Bruno Strigini president of Novartis Oncology. Strigini comes from Merck & Co., where he was president for Europe/Canada.
- UCare announced that President and CEO Nancy Feldman plans to retire in 2015. Feldman has led UCare as CEO since 1995....CarePayment named Craig Hodges CEO, effective July 7. Hodges was senior vice president and general manager of patient billing and payment services and for payer payment solutions at Emdeon.
- HealthNow New York Inc. named Thomas E. Schenk, M.D., chief medical officer (CMO) and Dave Busch senior vice president and chief sales officer. Schenk was managing partner at Delaware Pediatric Associates. Busch was senior vice president and president of employer and health plan divisions at ValueOptions Inc....Tonix Pharmaceuticals Holding Corp. appointed Gregory M. Sullivan, M.D., CMO. Sullivan is an assistant professor of clinical psychiatry in the Department of Psychiatry at Columbia University.
- JLL’s Capital Markets named Steven Leathers senior vice president. Leathers comes from REIT American Realty Capital Healthcare Trust, where he was responsible for property acquisitions and transaction management....Van Dyk Health Care, Inc. promoted Kevin Brendlen to vice president of strategic partnerships. Brendlen was director of marketing.
- Cancer Treatment Centers of America promoted Maurie Markman, M.D., to president of the company's Medicine & Science unit. Markman was vice president of patient oncology services and national director for medical oncology....Symphony Health Solutions named Robert Gabruk senior vice president of customer success and insights. Gabruk was the North American practice lead at Cognizant.
- Vector Oncology named Michael Choukas CEO and Sean Hart executive vice president and managing director of pharmaceutical services. Choukasa was founding partner of Watermill Group. Hart comes from UBC, where he was general manager of global product approval and commercialization....Bavarian Nordic A/S promoted Paul Chaplin to president and CEO. He replaces Anders Hedegaard who leaves the company to join GN ReSound A/S as CEO. Chaplin was executive vice president.
- KPH Healthcare Services promoted Bridget-ann Hart to president and CEO. Hart was president of Kinney Healthcare Services....Purdue Pharma L.P. named Saeed Motahari senior vice president and chief commercial officer. Motahari comes from AbbVie, where he served as vice president of U.S. sales and marketing, specialty Brands - new launches.
- Greenleaf Health LLC named Rachel Sherman, M.D., principal, drug and biological drug products. Sherman was director of the FDA Center for Drug Evaluation and Research’s Office of Medical Policy and associate center director for medical policy....The California Association of Dental Plans said Jackie Miller, the association’s executive director since 1995, will retire Dec. 31, 2014.
- Common Ground Healthcare Cooperative in Wisconsin said CEO Bob DeVita has retired and Chief Operating Officer Cathy Mahaffey has been promoted to CEO. DeVita originally served in a volunteer role on the Common Ground CO-OP board and became CEO in February 2012 ….Erik Larson, MNsure's chief operating officer, is stepping down in July.
- Nektar Therapeutics named Ivan Gergel, M.D., senior vice president, drug development and chief medical officer. Gergel was executive vice president, research and development of Endo Pharmaceuticals....Inovalon, Inc. appointed Robert Wychulis president and Thomas Kloster chief financial officer (CFO). Wychulis was president of WellPoint New York. Kloster comes from Algeco Scotsman, where he was CFO.
- OXiGENE, Inc. named David Chaplin president and CEO, replacing Peter Langecker, M.D. Chaplin has served as a senior member of the management team of several biopharma companies....The California Public Employees’ Retirement System (CalPERS) appointed Matthew Jacobs general counsel. Jacobs comes to CalPERS from DLA Piper, where he was a partner in its litigation practice.
- Richard Moore has joined CSG Government Solutions' health care and human services practice. Moore was president of eHealth Ohio, Inc....AxoGen, Inc. named Lee Robert Johnston, Jr. chief financial officer (CFO). Johnston was senior vice president of corporate development and CFO of Scientific Protein Laboratories, LLC.
- GW Pharmaceuticals plc named Kenneth Sommerville, M.D., vice president of clinical science. Sommerville was vice president of clinical science at Pfizer, Inc....InfinityQS International, Inc. appointed Martyn Gill general manager for Europe. Gill was global strategic business development director and quality consultant at ATS International.
- Cover Oregon said Steve Powell, the deputy chief information officer at the Oregon Health Authority, is leaving on June 5. Powell was a deputy to Carolyn Lawson, former top technology manager at the agency whose team was in charge of the early development of the exchange....BlueCross BlueShield of Tennessee appointed Lisa Slattery vice president of quality management for all lines of business. Slattery was chief quality and compliance officer at MedHOK Healthcare Solutions, LLC.