Dates included below correspond to the issue of AIS’s Health Business Daily in which “People News” appeared.
- Todd Shamash, former deputy chief of staff for Pennsylvania Gov. Tom Corbett (R), joined Capital BlueCross as deputy general counsel and head of regulatory affairs. He was responsible for health care and insurance matters for Corbett....Deloitte named Sarah Thomas, director, Deloitte Services LP and director of research for the Deloitte Center for Health Solutions. Thomas was vice president of public policy and communications at the National Committee for Quality Assurance.
- The Patient-Centered Outcomes Research Institute (PCORI) promoted Jean Slutsky to chief engagement and dissemination officer. Slutsky joined PCORI in February to head the science program....The Blue Cross and Blue Shield Association promoted Kris Haltmeyer to vice president of health policy and analysis and Kim Holland to vice president of state affairs. Haltmeyer was executive director. Holland was also an executive director.
- CynergisTek named Erin Fulton vice president of operations. Fulton was vice president and general manager of paper and performance solutions at T-System....CAS Medical Systems, Inc. appointed Karen Harris-Coleman executive vice president, international sales. Harris-Coleman was executive vice president of international at Iscreen Vision.
- John E. Craig, Jr., The Commonwealth Fund's executive vice president and chief operating officer, will retire at the end of 2014....The American Association for Cancer Research elected José Baselga, M.D., president-elect for 2014-2015. Baselga is physician-in-chief at Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center in New York, N.Y.
- SA Ignite, Inc., named Jeff Galowich president. Galowich was executive vice president at Initiate Systems....Clarus Therapeutics, Inc. appointed John Gargiulo chief operating officer. Gargiulo was North American president and CEO of Daiichi Sankyo, Inc.
- Magellan Health Services Inc. named Daniel Parietti CEO of AlphaCare, a Medicaid managed long-term care HMO and Medicare plan. Parietti was senior vice president of health plans at Centene Corp....Humana Inc. named Brian Kane senior vice president and chief financial officer (CFO). He succeeds former CFO Jim Bloem, who retired at the end of 2013. Kane was a managing director at Goldman, Sachs & Co.
- Akers Biosciences, Inc. said President and CEO Thomas Nicolette has stepped down from Akers' board. Raymond Akers, the company's co-founder and executive chairman of the board, will assume the duties of president and CEO....Cancer Genetics named Edward Sitar chief financial officer (CFO). Sitar was CFO at Healthagen.
- TeleTracking Technologies named Diane Watson chief operating officer (COO) and Joseph Tetzlaff chief technology officer. Watson was principal partner and COO at Tilt, Inc. Prior to TeleTracking, Tetzlaff was at inVentiv Health, where he was responsible for technology across the firm's clinical division....Stateside Associates, Inc. appointed Dusty Brighton vice president. Brighton was director of government relations for eBay.
- RestorGenex named Stephen Simes CEO. Simes was vice chairman, president and CEO at BioSante Pharmaceuticals, Inc....BioElectronics Corp. appointed Deepak Kotak executive vice president. Kotak was chief medical officer of TraumaTec.
- Healthsense, Inc. named Greg Melsen chief financial officer. Melsen was vice president, finance, treasurer and CFO of Techne Corp....The National Business Coalition on Health appointed Brian Klepper CEO. Klepper is a health care analyst, commentator and entrepreneur.
- Lachman Consultant Services named Fran Zipp president. Zipp was global head of quality and group executive vice president at Teva Pharmaceutical Industries....TriStar Wellness Solutions, Inc. promoted Stuart Sands to chief financial officer of its wholly owned subsidiary, HemCon Medical Technologies, Inc. Sands was vice president of finance.
- Project HOPE named Linda Heitzman executive vice president. Heitzman was a former director with Deloitte Consulting’s Life Sciences Strategy and Operations Practice....ABILITY Network Inc. promoted Ken Ernsting to chief operating officer. Ernsting was executive vice president of corporate development.
- Tiffany & Co. named former Cigna Corp. executive Ralph Nicoletti chief financial officer (CFO) effective on April 2.…Cancer Genetics named Ed Sitar CFO effective April 1. Sitar was CFO at Healthagen, the health and technology service business at Aetna Inc.
- AmeriHealth Caritas Family of Companies named Fred Hill, M.D., chief medical officer (CMO), Southern Region. He assumes the role from Fred Volkman, M.D., who will be retiring effective March 31. Hill was CMO at Aetna Inc....CDPHP appointed Brian O’Grady senior vice president of sales. O'Grady was vice president of commercial group accounts at HealthNow New York, Inc.
- WellPoint, Inc. named Thomas Miller chief information officer (CIO), effective May 1. Miller was senior vice president and CIO for Coca Cola Refreshments....Stradis Healthcare appointed Derrell James president and CEO. James was vice president of business development and director of technical sales for Honeywell Defense and Space.
- Premera Blue Cross said Gubby Barlow will step down as CEO on Sept. 30. Current President Jeff Roe has been appointed the next CEO, effective Oct. 1. Barlow will remain with Premera to assist Roe in the transition until the end of the year....Aetna Inc. named Laurie Brubaker president of the company’s Delaware, Pennsylvania and West Virginia operations. Brubaker was Aetna’s chief culture officer. She succeeds Patrick Young, who left the insurer.
- The California HealthCare Foundation named Avram Goldstein senior communications officer for the foundation's health reform and public programs initiative and state health policy office. Goldstein was communications and research director for Health Care for America Now....Integra LifeSciences Holdings Corp. appointed Kenneth Burhop corporate vice president and chief scientific officer. Burhop was chief scientific officer at Sangart, Inc.
- OsoBio appointed Paul Stoker director of its chemistry and microbiology laboratories. He replaces Kathleen Larese, OsoBio’s previous director of laboratories, when she became the company’s director of technical operations. Stoker was director of the quality control laboratory at Dendreon....AMAG Pharmaceuticals, Inc. named Edward Jordan senior vice president of sales and marketing. Jordan was head of sales, marketing, and operations of the women's health division at Teva Pharmaceuticals.
- Par Pharmaceutical Companies, Inc. named Antonio Pera chief commercial officer. Pera joins Par from JHP where he served as senior vice president of commercial operations....The California Public Employees' Retirement System (CalPERS) appointed Dan Bienvenue senior investment officer (SIO) for global equity. Bienvenue has been acting SIO for global equity since June 2013 when Eric Baggesen took another leadership position within the CalPERS Investment Office.
- Molina Healthcare Inc. in Washington has hired former PeaceHealth executive Peter Adler as president....Hardy Limited, a CNA Insurance Company, named David Brosnan chief executive. Brosnan was senior vice president of international at CNA.
- Rebecca Pearce, the former executive director of Maryland’s insurance exchange, has joined Baltimore-based Riverside Health, Inc. as a consultant....Victor J. Dzau, M.D., has been named president of the Institute of Medicine. Dzau is chancellor for health affairs at Duke University, and president and CEO of Duke University Health System.
- Regence BlueCross BlueShield of Oregon named Scott Burton director of community and business relations. He spent three years in Regence’s communications department....Gary Cohen is resigning as director of CMS’s Center for Consumer Information and Insurance Oversight at the end of March and will be replaced on an interim basis by Mandy Cohen, M.D., who now manages consumer assistance for the agency.
- Imprimis Pharmaceuticals named Randle House vice president of pharmacy operations. House was vice president of operations at Avella, Inc....ViiMed appointed Fred Altimont president of ViiNetwork Inc. Altimont was director of federal health solutions for McAfee/Intel.
- CNA Financial Corp. appointed Christopher Leisz senior vice president and chief underwriting officer for specialty. Leisz was midwest regional executive at Hiscox USA....The Segal Group named Mark Schumann senior vice president and national communications practice leader. Schumann was vice president for marketing and communications at Western Connecticut Health.
- Humana Inc. named Christopher Kay senior vice president and chief innovation officer. He was managing director and CEO of Citi Ventures, Citigroup Inc.’s global corporate venturing arm....VEXIM appointed Sandrine Carle marketing director. Carle was global marketing manager of Ophthalmology at Leica Microsystems.
- Howard Kahn, the CEO of L.A. Care Health Plan, said he plans to leave in January. Prior to joining L.A. Care, Kahn served as an executive at Cigna Corp., Aetna Inc. and the Health Plan of San Mateo....Stereotaxis, Inc. appointed Chairman William Mills CEO. Mills has been serving as interim CEO since April 2013.
- The Pharmaceutical Research and Manufacturers of America appointed Charles Clapton senior vice president of federal advocacy, effective March 17. Clapton was a partner at the international law firm HoganLovells....CDPHP named Brian O’Grady senior vice president of sales. O’Grady was vice president of commercial group accounts at HealthNow New York, Inc.
- MedHOK appointed Troy Smith chief operating officer. Smith was a partner at Computer Sciences Corporation....Access promoted Christopher Slaughter to regional vice president for the Northwest. Slaughter was IT manager and director of operations.
- Buck Consultants, a Xerox Company, named Lori Black principal and national health and productivity practice leader for Voluntary Benefits Integrated Services. Previously, she spent more than nine years at benefits administration firm Trion, a Marsh & McClennan Agency, LLC Company....AMC Health appointed Kevin Fickenscher, M.D., chief medical officer and president of its health care division. Fickenscher was president and CEO of the American Medical Informatics Association.
- Cedarburg Hauser Pharmaceuticals named Alex Tretyakov director of process development. Tretyakov was vice president of research and development at PCI Synthesis....Innovus Pharmaceuticals, Inc. appointed Lynnette Dillen vice president and chief financial officer (CFO). Dillen has been working as a CFO with both public and private equity-backed companies.
- Missouri Health Connection named Mark Pasquale CEO, effective March 10. He replaces Marc Andiel, who has been serving as the interim CEO since November. Pasquale was vice president and chief information officer at Piedmont Healthcare....Sunesis Pharmaceuticals, Inc. appointed Joseph DePinto executive vice president and chief commercial officer. DePinto brings over two decades of experience in global commercial operations.
- EMPERRA appointed Christian Krey managing director and CEO. Krey was a business unit manager at a Johnson & Johnson subsidiary....Sucampo Pharmaceuticals, Inc. named Peter Greenleaf CEO. Greenleaf was president of MedImmune.
- Axiom EPM named David Janotha industry vice president of health care. Janotha was a manager at Deloitte Consulting LLP....Nelsons appointed John Tucker president and CEO of Nelson Bach USA, Ltd. Tucker was chief commercial officer at Incline Therapeutics, Inc.
- Rosa & Co. LLC named Ananth Kadambi senior vice president for Japan and Asia. Kadambi was director of modeling and simulation development at Evidera....NuVasive, Inc. promoted Quentin Blackford to executive vice president of finance and investor relations. Blackford was senior vice president of finance and investor relations.
- Lon Sprecher, president and CEO of Wisconsin-based Dean Health Plan, intends to retire on May 1....Cognosante promoted Jean-Marc Edier to senior vice president of health care operations services. Edier was vice president of federal programs.
- WellCare Health Plans, Inc. said that Tom Tran, senior vice president and chief financial officer (CFO), will be leaving the company. Tran has agreed to stay on until Nov. 30, or until a new CFO is appointed....VITAS Innovative Hospice Care appointed Lisa Cooper general manager in San Francisco. Cooper was CEO of Santa Cruz Surgery Center.
- UCare named Daniel Abdul vice president and chief information officer (CIO). Abdul was CIO for the Minnesota Department of Veteran Affairs....Chelsea Therapeutics International, Ltd. appointed Keith Schmidt chief commercial officer. Schmidt has served as a consultant to the company since 2012.
- UCare promoted Patricia Ball to vice president of provider relations and contracting. Ball was corporate strategies director....Bloom Health hired Joe Golden as a business lead for the Texas market. Golden was vice president of new business sales at Aetna Inc.
- NIH appointed Hannah Valantine, M.D., chief officer for scientific workforce diversity. Valantine was senior associate dean for diversity and leadership at Stanford School of Medicine, and professor of cardiovascular medicine at Stanford University Medical Center....Humana Inc. said that CAC-Florida Medical Centers CEO Mark Kent’s position has been expanded to regional president with oversight of all Humana-owned, Florida-based primary care practices, including CAC.
- LipoScience, Inc. appointed Howard Doran president and CEO. Doran was president and chief operating officer at Constitution Medical, Inc....AmeriHealth Caritas VIP Plans named Lavdena Orr, M.D., medical director for the District of Columbia. Orr was senior vice president of medical affairs and interim chief medical officer of DC Chartered Health Plan, Inc., which was acquired by AmeriHealth in 2013.
- NeoStem, Inc. named David Altarac, M.D., vice president of regulatory affairs. Altarac was vice president of regulatory affairs, emerging markets, and research and development at Merck Research Labs....The Cooper Companies, Inc. promoted Randal L. Golden to general counsel. Golden has been assistant general counsel since May 2013.
- Chelsea Therapeutics International, Ltd. named Joseph G. Oliveto president and CEO, and a member of the company's board of directors. Oliveto has served as the company's interim president and CEO since July 2012....Sorbent Therapeutics appointed Tom O’Neil chief financial officer. O’Neil was vice president of finance and administration for ChemGenex Pharmaceuticals.
- HealthStat Rx named Amy Hampton head of its hepatitis C business unit. She was manager of patient advocates in immunology for Abbott/AbbVie....Putnam Associates promoted Ken Beers to partner and Scott Gilbert to principal.
- Mayne Pharma Group Limited promoted Stefan Cross to president of Mayne Pharma USA. Cross was Mayne Pharma’s vice president of business and corporate development....Florida Blue appointed Jannifer Drake Harper, M.D., chief medical officer. Harper was vice president of medical operations.
- Mercer promoted Sharon Cunninghis to leader of Mercer Marketplace Exchange Solutions. Cunninghis was leader of the North America Health & Benefits Region. Bernard Walsh will succeed Cunninghis. Walsh was senior partner with Mercer Health & Benefits....Lakewood Regional Medical Center appointed Ron Galonsky CEO. Galonsky was chief operations and integration officer at Mission Hospital.
- WellCare Health Plans, Inc. named Rose Hauser senior vice president and chief information officer (CIO). Hauser was executive vice president and CIO for FairPoint Communications....Stateside Associates promoted Robert Holden, Esq. to senior vice president. Holden was vice president of Stateside's health care practice.
- AmeriHealth Caritas said President and CEO Michael Rashid is retiring. Paul Tufano, Independence Blue Cross Executive Vice President and Chairman of the Board of AmeriHealth Caritas, has been appointed CEO of AmeriHealth Caritas, effective March 31.....CareSource promoted Steve Ringel to president of its Ohio market. Ringel was senior vice president of CareSource's market and product group.
- Novus Medical Detox named Manny Correa clinical supervisor. Correa was a program director with Operation PAR....WellPoint, Inc. named Amy Cheslock vice president of payment innovation for provider engagement and contracting within the company’s Commercial and Specialty Business division. Cheslock was vice president of provider engagement and contracting for WellPoint’s Central Region markets.
- The California Public Employees' Retirement System (CalPERS) Board re-elected Rob Feckner as president and elected Priya Mathur as vice president. Feckner joined the CalPERS board as the representative of CalPERS school members in 1999. Mathur is a principal financial analyst for Bay Area Rapid Transit District....CHE Trinity Health named Brian Dietz president and CEO of Saint Francis Healthcare, following eight months as an interim in this role. Dietz brings more than 35 years of health care management experience to this position.
- Express Scripts named Cathy Smith executive vice president (EVP) and chief financial officer (CFO), effective Feb. 10. Smith was EVP of strategy and CFO of Walmart International....Texas Health Resources said CEO Douglas Hawthorne will step down by the end of this year. Hawthorne will continue as CEO until a successor is named.
- WellCare Health Plans, Inc. named Kenneth Burdick president, national health plans. He was president and CEO of Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Minnesota....Epstein Becker & Green, P.C., hired Ted Kennedy, Jr. to join its health care and life sciences practice. Kennedy was president of Marwood Group, a health care advisory firm.
- The FDA’s Center for Drug Evaluation and Research named Gary Gensinger senior advisor for records management, effective Feb. 23. This position is in the Office of Business Informatics, Office of Strategic Programs, where Gensinger has served as deputy director for six years....Century Risk Advisors appointed Katherine Turk vice president, private client manager of the company’s Private Client Division. Turk was assistant vice president, account executive for USI Insurance Services, LLC.
- M. Joseph Medical named Julie M. Norris CEO and owner of the company. She replaces Michael J. Bartlett, who founded the company in 1985. Norris was the company's national sales director....Novavax, Inc. promoted Gregory Glenn, M.D., to senior vice president of research and development, and Louis Fries III, M.D., to vice president and chief medical officer (CMO). Glenn was senior vice president and CMO. Fries was vice president of clinical and medical affairs.
- The Patient-Centered Outcomes Research Institute named Jean Slutsky director of PCORI’s communication and dissemination research program. Slutsky comes to PCORI from the U.S. Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality where she directed the Center for Outcomes and Evidence since 2003....SMC Biotechnology Inc. appointed Darlene Horton, M.D., chief medical officer. Horton was CEO of Nile Therapeutics.
- AmeriHealth Caritas VIP Plans hired Karen Nichols, M.D., as chief medical officer (CMO). Nichols was CMO of the living independently for elders program at the University of Pennsylvania....AMC Health named John Larus senior vice president, solutions development - clinical trials division. Larus was executive vice president of clinical operations at Clinipace Worldwide.
- The FDA named Howard Sklamberg deputy commissioner for Global Regulatory Operations and Policy. Sklamberg was director for the FDA Center for Drug Evaluation and Research's office of compliance....Encoda, LLC appointed Michael Kallish CEO. Kallish was senior vice president of business development for RemitDATA, Inc.
- Humana Inc. named Fernando Valverde, M.D., regional market president for Humana’s South and North Florida Medicare markets. Valverde was CEO of Florida International University, and health and associate dean for community and clinical affairs at the FIU Herbert Wertheim College of Medicine....CareSource, a not-for-profit Medicaid plan, appointed Darren Morgan vice president of strategic marketing. Morgan joins CareSource following a career developing and expanding provider and marketing services for health care organizations into new markets.
- Jeffrey H. Peters, M.D., has been named chief operating officer for University Hospitals in Cleveland. Peters was chair of the department of surgery at Strong Memorial Hospital and the University of Rochester School of Medicine and Dentistry....Delta Point appointed Dean Hart senior vice president. Hart was senior vice president of sales at Takeda Pharmaceuticals North America.
- Integrated Systems Design named Thomas Pawlowicz senior account executive. Pawlowicz was vice president of project management at Jervis B. Webb Company....Northwestern Memorial HealthCare appointed Richard Gannotta president of Northwestern Memorial Hospital and senior vice president of NMHC, effective Feb. 10. Gannotta is president of Duke Raleigh Hospital.
- Webster Financial Corp. named Chad Wilkins executive vice president of Webster and Webster Bank, and head of HSA Bank. Wilkins was president of his own consulting practice specializing in health care and financial services....Ajinomoto Althea Inc. appointed J. David Enloe Jr. president and CEO. Enloe was head of the viral therapeutics business unit at Lonza AG.
- The Sisters of Charity Health System named Terrence Kessler president and CEO, a role he has served in an interim capacity since July 2013. Kessler also continues his role as the health system's general counsel, a role he assumed in June 2012....Cerner Corp. appointed Mitch Daniels to the company's board of directors. Daniels is president of Purdue University, a role he assumed in January 2013 after serving as Governor of Indiana.
- Blue Cross & Blue Shield of Rhode Island appointed Carrie Bridges Feliz to its board of directors. She serves as director of strategic community partnerships for the Providence Public School Department….Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Louisiana promoted David Carmouche, M.D., to executive vice president of external operations and chief medical officer. Carmouche was senior vice president and chief medical officer.
- Rainu Kaushal, M.D., has been named chair of the Department of Healthcare Policy and Research at Weill Cornell Medical College and physician-in-chief of health care policy and research at NewYork-Presbyterian/Weill Cornell Medical Center. Kaushal serves as director of the Center for Healthcare Informatics and Policy and Frances and John L. Loeb professor of medical informatics at Weill Cornell Medical College, and the director of pediatric quality for the Komansky Center for Children's Health at NewYork-Presbyterian Hospital.....Karen DeSalvo, M.D., was appointed national coordinator for the Office of the National Coordinator for Health IT. DeSalvo was health commissioner for New Orleans and senior health policy advisor to Mayor Mitch Landrieu.
- American Specialty Health Inc. (ASH) promoted Debi Heck to senior vice president of innovation solutions. Heck was vice president of program solutions for ASH's wellness subsidiary, Healthyroads....The Blue Cross and Blue Shield Association elected John Forsyth chairman of its board of directors. Forsyth is chairman and CEO at Wellmark Blue Cross and Blue Shield.
- John Ross has been appointed executive vice president of Metrics Inc. Ross was chief operating officer at CPL Ltd....Dentons named Catherine Hess a partner in its health care practice. Hess was senior counsel at the HHS Office of Inspector General.
- Silverlink Communications, Inc. named Dave Magnan senior vice president of services. Magnan was chief technology officer at MedVentive Inc....Chimerix, Inc. appointed Linda Richardson chief commercial officer. Richardson was vice president and head of Sanofi's Global lixisenatide franchise.
- Hub International Insurance Services, Inc. named Arturo Perez-Reyes vice president and privacy and errors & omissions (E&O) lead in the San Francisco commercial division. Perez-Reyes was affiliated with the Barney and Barney, LLC Brokerage in Oakland, Calif., where he served as a client executive and broker specializing primarily in technology E&O risks....Apollo Medical Holdings, Inc. appointed Edward Rotan senior vice president. Rotan was president, CEO and founder of U.S. Dermatology Medical Management.
- BioAgilytix Labs named Jim Datin CEO. Datin was executive vice president and managing director at Safeguard Scientifics....Ropes & Gray hired Thomas N. Bulleit as a partner and head of its health care practice in the Washington, D.C. office. Bulleit comes from Hogan Lovells.
- Humana Inc. appointed Chris Hunter senior vice president and chief strategy officer. He was president of provider markets at The TriZetto Group, Inc. and before that was senior vice president of emerging markets at BlueCross Blue Shield of Tennessee....Matrix Medical Network named Walter Cooper senior vice president of strategy and corporate development officer. Cooper was senior vice president of marketing and sales for WellCare Health Plans.
- AMC Health named Lisa Roberts senior vice president of its government market division. Roberts was vice president, clinical innovations, sales and business development for Viterion Corp....Kinematix appointed Joseph Ternullo president of the company's U.S. subsidiary. Ternullo was associate director of Partners Telemedicine, a division of Partners Healthcare.
- Medicaid Health Plans of America (MHPA) appointed Frank Siano chairman of the board. He is vice president of business development for Medicaid at Aetna Inc. Kearline Jones, vice president of government relations and compliance at Health Partners Plans, will replace Siano as vice chair of MHPA's board....The National Association for the Self-Employed promoted Katie Vlietstra to vice president for government relations and public affairs. Vlietstra was director of government affairs.
- Cody Consulting named Bradley Boyer vice president of sales and marketing. Boyer was regional sales manager for Elemental LED....The National Institutes of Health appointed Philip Bourne associate director for data science. Bourne comes to the NIH from the University of California San Diego, where he is the associate vice chancellor for innovation and industry alliances of the Office of Research Affairs.
- Hemispherx Biopharma, Inc. promoted Thomas Equels to chief financial officer and Adam Pascale to chief accounting officer. Equels currently serves as executive vice chairman, secretary and general counsel for Hemispherx. Pascale has been the controller at Hemispherx for 18 years....The National Alliance on Mental Illness appointed Mary Giliberti executive director. Giliberti has served as a section chief in the Office for Civil Rights at HHS since 2008.
- HCA Gulf Coast named Matt Dixon CEO for Pearland Medical Center. Dixon was the chief operating officer (COO) at St. Mark's Hospital in Salt Lake City....Lyophilization Services of New England promoted Shawn Cain to COO. Cain was vice president of sterile manufacturing.
- MedData, Inc. named Paul Holland national vice president of sales, and Carl Naso corporate controller. Holland was national vice president at QuadraMed Corp. Naso was the business unit controller at Aleris International, Inc....Pamela McInnes was appointed deputy director of the National Center for Advancing Translational Sciences, part of NIH. She currently serves as director of the Division of Extramural Research at the National Institute of Dental and Craniofacial Research.
- Takeda Pharmaceutical Co. named Christophe Weber chief operating officer. Weber was president of GlaxoSmithKline’s vaccine division....Silverlink Communications, Inc. appointed Liz Horgan senior vice president of marketing and solutions. Horgan was senior vice president of marketing and strategy at Health Dialog.
- WellPoint, Inc.’s Anthem Blue Cross and Blue Shield in Connecticut named Jill Rubin Hummel president and general manager, effective Dec. 30. She will replace outgoing president David Fusco. Hummel serves as the vice president of payment innovation for WellPoint....MemorialCare Health System named Diane Laird chief strategy officer. Laird founded and led the Greater Newport Physicians and Nautilus Healthcare Management Group, which became part of the MemorialCare Medical Foundation medical-management system last year.
- Rite Aid promoted Karen Staniforth to group vice president of pharmacy initiatives and clinical services. Staniforth was vice president of pharmacy for the chain's mid-Atlantic division....Biotechnology Industry Organization named Patrick Plues senior director of state government relations. Plues previously led Cephalon's federal government affairs efforts.
- HHS named former Microsoft executive Kurt DelBene a senior advisor in charge of HealthCare.gov. He will replace Jeff Zients....Bradley Boyer joined Cody Consulting as vice president of sales and marketing. Boyer was regional sales manager for Elemental LED.
- Bristol-Myers Squibb Company named Giovanni Caforio executive vice president and chief commercial officer. Caforio was most recently president of U.S. operations....Receptos, Inc. named Christian Waage senior vice president and general counsel. Waage was vice president and general counsel at Websense Inc.
- Cancer Treatment Centers of America named Steve Mackin chief operating officer. Mackin was president and CEO of Cancer Treatment Centers of America at Southwestern Regional Medical Center in Tulsa, Okla....Capstone Performance Systems appointed Neta Kessler project specialist. Kessler was a senior patient assistance case manager for Sarasota Memorial Health Care System.
- WellCare Health Plans, Inc. named John Burke state president of New York. Burke is responsible for WellCare's Medicaid and Medicare Advantage operations in the state. He has been serving on an interim basis since Sept. 23....UCare named Edith Dorsey senior vice president of operations. Dorsey was associate vice president at TriZetto.
- Lithera, Inc. appointed Lincoln Krochmal, M.D., chief medical officer. Krochmal was president and CEO of Excaliard Pharmaceuticals....Walgreen Co. promoted Sona Chawla to president of digital and chief marketing officer. Previously president of e-commerce, Chawla will lead the company’s new digital and marketing division combining and integrating e-commerce, enterprise-wide marketing, and customer loyalty and insights group.
- Huron Consulting Group appointed William Foley managing director of its Huron Healthcare practice. Foley rejoins Huron from Vanguard Health Systems where he served as president of the Chicago market....Edward Kondrot, M.D., has been named clinic director of the Integrative Medicine Clinic at The American Medical College of Homeopathy. Kondrot is currently the president of the Arizona Homeopathic and Integrative Medical Association.
- Nadine Hays was promoted to president of Verisk Health. Hayes was responsible for strategic alliances, sales and marketing across the market segments served by Verisk Health....Bon Secours St. Francis Health System named Anselmo Nuñez, M.D., CEO of Bon Secours Medical Group. Nuñez was senior vice president of the medical operations specialty division for Aurora Medical Group.
- Novasep promoted Nadege Laborde to president of its Industrial Biotech business unit. Since 2009, she has headed the system engineering and construction department....MedImmune named Yong-Jun Liu, M.D., head of research, effective Jan. 6. Liu is vice president and chief scientific officer at the Baylor Research Institute and director of the Baylor Institute for Immunology Research.
- Regence promoted Don Antonucci to president of Regence BlueShield in Washington and Angela Dowling to market president of Regence BlueCross BlueShield of Oregon. Antonucci had been serving as interim market president of Regence BlueShield since August. Dowling was vice president of sales for Regence BlueCross BlueShield of Oregon....BiologicTx named David Jacobs chief technology officer. Jacobs was founder of Silverstone Solutions, which was acquired by BiologicTx.
- Gail Fowler joins Rho as vice president of operations. Fowler was vice president of clinical operations and clinical trial management for ICON Clinical Research....CVS Caremark Corp. selected Helena B. Foulkes to serve as president of CVS/pharmacy, effective Jan. 1, 2014. Foulkes was chief health care strategy and marketing officer responsible for corporate strategy and enterprise marketing, government relations and communications. She succeeds Mark Cosby, who will step down at the end of December after leading the company’s retail business since October 2011.
- Mike Becker was promoted to executive vice president and CEO of the National Association of Professional Insurance Agents. Becker was vice president of federal affairs....Voltarra Pharmaceuticals, Inc. named Richard P. Becker, Jr. CEO. Becker was global brand leader for JETREA at Alcon Laboratories, Inc.
- Curt Palmer has joined SMC Partners LLC, as chief value steward. Palmer was vice president of client services at iHealth Technologies....The Commonwealth Fund named Donald Moulds executive vice president for programs. Moulds was acting assistant secretary, and principal deputy assistant secretary, for planning and evaluation at HHS.
- The University of Maryland appointed Thomas R. Fuerst director of the Institute for Bioscience and Biotechnology Research. Fuerst is founder and chairman of Applied ImmunoGenetics, Inc....Bristol-Myers Squibb Company (BMSC) named Giovanni Caforio executive vice president and chief commercial officer. Carforio was president of U.S. pharmaceuticals at BMSC's Medarex, Inc.
- WellCare Health Plans, Inc. named Robert Hilliard, Jr., M.D., president of Illinois. He will lead WellCare’s Medicare Advantage business, its subsidiary Harmony Health Plan’s Medicaid business and growth initiatives in the state. Hilliard was chief operating officer for UnitedHealthcare’s Community Plan in Texas....CSSi appointed Rose Hunsicker director of business development. Hunsicker comes to CSSI with a history of sales and marketing experience across a wide range of industries, including pharmaceutical, health care information technology and public relations services.
- Health Care Service Corp. unit Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Texas named Jack Towsley divisional senior vice president for the company’s Texas Health Care Delivery segment. He was senior vice president, payor relations for Health Management Associates, Inc.…CVS Caremark Corp. appointed Tracy Bahl executive vice president of health plans. Bahl spent 10 years at UnitedHealth Group, where he served as CEO of the Uniprise division.
- ENT and Allergy Associates named Eric Saidel director of human resources. Saidel was a senior consultant in Navigant Consulting’s Life Sciences Practice....Castlight Health appointed Michele Law chief revenue officer. Law was chief operating officer at OpenDNS.
- Aprecia Pharmaceuticals Company named Don Wetherhold CEO. Wetherhold was senior vice president of long-term care at Omnicare, Inc....CareCloud appointed Kevin Brown vice president of West Coast sales. Brown was an enterprise sales executive at athenahealth.
- The California Public Employees’ Retirement System named Rose McAuliffe chief of the Division of Financial Planning and Policy. McAuliffe was finance budget analyst at the California Department of Finance....Mercy Health System appointed Marcia James vice president for accountable care. James was director of provider engagement at Humana Inc.
- Healthsense, Inc. named Charles Fazio, M.D., chief medical officer (CMO). Fazio was CMO and senior vice president of Medica Health Plans....WellPoint, Inc. appointed Julie Goon senior vice president of public affairs. Goon was senior health policy advisor for the U.S. House of Representatives Energy and Commerce Committee.
- The Cancer Treatment Centers of America appointed Jesus Esquivel, M.D., national director of HIPEC (hyperthermic intraperitoneal chemotherapy). Esquivel was director of the peritoneal surface malignancies program at St. Agnes Health Care Hospital in Baltimore....Greenspoon Marder named Tina Dunsford chair of its health care law practice. Dunsford brings more than 20 years of experience on advising clients on managed care contracting, medical staff issues, compliance, fraud and abuse matters and physician contracting arrangements.
- The AmeriHealth Caritas Family of Companies promoted Jay Powell to executive director for AmeriHealth Caritas VIP Plans in the District of Columbia. Powell was director, market expansion and development for AmeriHealth Caritas....TxCell SA named Damian Marron CEO. Marron was CEO of Cytheris SA.
- Mercer appointed Jack Noble a principal in its health and benefits business in the firm’s Kansas City office. Noble was strategic account executive and vice president of sales and marketing at Coventry Health Care....The Cancer Treatment Centers of America named Giuseppe Del Priore, M.D., national director of gynecologic oncology. Del Priore was director of gynecologic oncology at the Indiana University School of Medicine.
- The WIRB-Copernicus Group (WCG) appointed Shai Feinsod regional executive for Israel. Prior to joining WCG, Feinsod founded Healthcare Strategies....Affimed Therapeutics AG named Jens-Peter Marschner, M.D., chief medical officer. Marschner was vice president at Merck KGaA.
- Huron Consulting Group named Jeff Wasserman a managing director in its Huron Healthcare practice. Wasserman joins Huron from JW Healthcare Strategies, LLC, a firm he founded....WellCare Health Plans, Inc. appointed the company’s chairman of the board, David J. Gallitano, interim CEO. Gallitano replaces Alec Cunningham, who was let go Nov. 1.
- ONL Therapeutics named John Freshley CEO. Freshley was chief business officer at Compendia Bioscience....ActiveCare, Inc. promoted David Lee to chief operating officer. Lee was vice president of operations.