Dates included below correspond to the issue of AIS’s Health Business Daily in which “People News” appeared.
- VCU Health appointed Nina T. Hobcroft vice president of strategic alliances and market development. She previously served as senior vice president of strategy and development at HCA Capital Division….Families USA named Eliot Fishman senior director of health policy. He currently is director of the State Demonstrations Group at CMS’s Center for Medicaid & the Children's Health Insurance Program Services….Teligent, Inc. named Martin Wilson general counsel. Prior to joining Teligent, he served as vice president and assistant general counsel for Endo Pharmaceuticals' generic arm, Par Pharmaceutical, Inc.
- Navitas Life Sciences appointed Dr. Krishnan Rajagopalan chief growth officer. He has over two decades of experience in life sciences, including functional domain and technology consulting, advisory services and P&L management, at companies such as Infosys and Cognizant Life Sciences, USA….Fuzion promoted Barry Staldine to president and CEO. He joined Fuzion in 2015 as vice president of business management, and then served as chief operating officer…. New Century Health named Paul Marchetti chief growth officer. He has over 25 years of experience in leading service delivery transformation for health plans and health systems including Aetna, United Healthcare, Horizon Healthcare and Physician Health Services.
- Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Minnesota appointed Cain A. Hayes executive vice president, chief operating officer and president of the health business. He joins the Blues plan from Aetna Inc., where he was president of the national accounts business….HealthPartners named Jim Eppel executive vice president and chief administrative officer. He takes over for Andrea Walsh, who last month was promoted to president and CEO, succeeding Mary Brainerd. Eppel now is president and CEO of UCare, and previously served as senior vice president at Optum, a unit of UnitedHealth Group; chief operating officer at Blue Cross Blue Shield of Minnesota; and vice president of business development at Allina Health.
- The Hospital and Healthsystem Association of Pennsylvania named Rachel Moore director of media relations. She previously served as new media director for the Senate of Pennsylvania Democratic Caucus….Anthem Blue Cross and Blue Shield promoted Steve Martenet to president of Anthem Blue Cross and Blue Shield in Ohio. He has held senior leadership positions with progressive strategic responsibility at Anthem, including president of commercial business in Missouri and Wisconsin and vice president of sales in Ohio and Kentucky….Cureatr, Inc. named Michael Ross, M.D., senior clinical advisor. Ross most recently served in a senior leadership role at RxAnte, where he built a network of nearly 30,000 providers for the RxEffect platform.
- Human Longevity, Inc. named David Heckerman, M.D., Ph.D., chief data scientist. Heckerman is a 25-year veteran of Microsoft, where he most recently led the Microsoft Genomics team….Mark S. Soberman, M.D., was elected the 2017-2018 president of the Association of Community Cancer Centers. Soberman now is medical director, oncology service line and chief physician executive, Monocacy Health Partners at Frederick Regional Health System….Kaiser Permanente Northern California promoted CJ Bhalla to senior vice president and chief financial officer. Her most recent position was vice president, national financial performance and planning.
- Virginia Premier Health Plan Inc. named Kurt C. Small chief operating officer. Small comes to Virginia Premier from Pittsburgh, where he was an executive with Highmark Inc. He succeeds Linda Hines, who was named CEO of Virginia Premier in late 2016….The Guardian Life Insurance Company of America promoted Jay Rosenblum to chief human resources officer. He previously was senior vice president and head of government affairs. Guardian appointed Laura D. Haines to succeed Rosenblum in that role….RowdMap promoted Josh Holmes to the new position of executive vice president of business development. He previously served as RowdMap’s vice president of business development. Holmes formerly was vice president of business development at Leverage Health and senior vice president of payer sales at NaviNet.
- James Parker was named chief executive officer of MDwise, an Indianapolis Medicaid insurer that is 50% owned by Indiana University Health. Parker had been serving as interim CEO of MDwise and he was president of IU Health Plans. Mark Lantzy, senior vice president and chief information officer of IU Health, has taken on the additional responsibility of president of IU Health Plans. Lantzy joined IU Health one year ago after serving as chief operations officer and chief information officer at a Pennsylvania health insurance company….Kaiser Permanente Colorado appointed Kathy Westcoat senior director of Medicaid and Charitable Programs. She previously was CEO of Behavioral Health System Baltimore in Baltimore.
- Bridge Medicines appointed William J. Polvino, M.D., chief executive officer. Interim CEO Kathleen Metters, Ph.D., will continue to have an operating role within Bridge Medicines, and will chair the scientific advisory board. Most recently, Polvino was president and CEO of Veloxis Pharmaceuticals A/S and prior to that served as president and CEO of Helsinn Therapeutics….eRx Network, LLC named Mark Doerr CEO. Doerr previously was responsible for the pharmacy enterprise operations, merchandising, managed care and specialty for the 215 pharmacies of Giant Eagle….Mylan N.V. appointed Daniel M. Gallagher chief legal officer. He joins Mylan from consulting firm Patomak Global Partners, and served as a commissioner of the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission from November 2011 to October 2015.
- New York Medicaid insurer Affinity Health Plan hired Michael Murphy to serve as its new president and CEO. He joins Affinity from Aetna Inc., and previously served as CEO of Coventry Health Care across multiple states before it was purchased by Aetna in 2013. Murphy succeeds former CEO Glenn MacFarlane, who resigned in June 2016, and James Hooley, who stepped down from the board of directors while serving as interim CEO….Partners Surgical Corporation appointed Kenny Hancock chief business development officer. Hancock previously co-founded three companies that focused on the development and acquisition of physician-owned surgical facilities.
- Arena Pharmaceuticals, Inc. appointed Preston Klassen, M.D., executive vice president, research and development and chief medical officer. Most recently, he was chief medical officer of Laboratoris Sanifit S.L. and prior to that was executive vice president, head of global development at Orexigen Therapeutics, Inc….Timothy Howlin joined Rising Medical Solutions as senior vice president of sales and marketing. He previously was senior vice president of national sales at UnitedHealth Group unit Optum….Nobilis Health Corp. named Marc Celia executive vice president of operations. He most recently served as vice president of continuous improvement for United Surgical Partners International/Tenet Healthcare.
- HealthLevel hired Glenn Keet as president and COO. Keet was most recently CEO of Clinovo and earlier in his career led business development for Optum's Health Care Cloud….Gateway Health said Chief Medical Officer Michael Madden, M.D., will retire in April 2017. He will be succeeded by Steven E. Szebenyi, M.D., who is now the senior vice president of healthcare management and chief medical officer for Health Partners Plans….AxisPoint Health appointed Virginia Gurley, M.D., chief medical officer. She previously served as vice president and senior medical director at Healthways, and also held senior roles at Blue Cross Blue Shield of Michigan and McKesson Corporation.
- Adam Hamm joined the Chicago office of global consulting firm Protiviti as a managing director in its risk and compliance practice. Hamm served two four-year terms as the North Dakota Insurance Commissioner and served as president of the National Association of Insurance Commissioners….PHOENIX Rehabilitation and Health Services, Inc. appointed James M. Bargerstock chief financial officer. He will perform financial reporting, treasury, audit and accounting functions that previously were handled by Chief Administrative Officer Kimberly Anderson, allowing her to narrow her focus to human resources and billing and collections. Prior to joining PHOENIX, Bargerstock most recently served as vice president of accounting and administration/chief financial officer for SinterMet, LLC.
- The American Medical Association hired Todd Unger as its chief experience officer and senior vice president of physician engagement. Unger joins the AMA after serving most recently as chief digital officer and chief marketing officer at Daily Racing Form, where he oversaw the platform’s successful digital transformation….AccuReg, a front-end revenue cycle technology company, appointed Jase DuRard chief revenue officer. DuRard previously was Zelis Payments’ senior vice president of enterprise provider solutions and Passport Health’s vice president of enterprise solutions….Missouri Health Connection promoted Angie Bass to president and CEO. She most recently served as chief operating officer and interim CEO.
- The National Community Pharmacists Association (NCPA) promoted Kevin Schweers to director of the Advocacy Center and senior vice president, government and public affairs. The policy, regulatory and federal and state legislative teams will report directly to Schweers. He has served as senior vice president, public affairs since 2011 and joined NCPA in 2009. Scott Brunner joined NCPA as senior vice president, communications and state government affairs. He previously served as CEO of the Georgia Pharmacy Association. And Karry La Violette was promoted to vice president, government affairs and advocacy. She joined NCPA in 2011….The California Public Employees' Retirement System (CalPERS) board of administration elected Priya Mathur chair and Michael Bilbrey vice chair of the Pension & Health Benefits Committee. Mathur is a principal financial analyst for the Bay Area Rapid Transit District. Bilbrey is the bookstore operations coordinator at Citrus Community College in Glendora, and is a former president of the California School Employees Association.
- Thomas McCarthy, chief financial officer (CFO) at Cigna Corp., is retiring after 33 years with the company. Eric Palmer, CFO for several divisions, will take over as CFO for the entire company. And Christopher Hocevar was promoted to president of strategy, segments and solutions. For the last several years he has run Cigna’s Select Segment and Pharmacy Benefits Management business….The CareMore Health System unit of Anthem, Inc. named Zupin Eapen, M.D., chief medical officer. CareMore’s prior chief medical officer, Sachin Jain, M.D., moves into the new role of president. Eapen joins CareMore from Duke University….Humana Inc.’s Jim Murray will retire from his post as chief operating officer effective March 31.
- Phil Blando was hired as senior director of corporate communications for Express Scripts, the nation’s largest PBM. He most recently was a volunteer on President Trump’s transition team, and served as lead media spokesman on Tom Price’s confirmation as HHS secretary….Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Minnesota said Tom Vanderheyden was named president of diversified business. He most recently was CEO of Harken Health Insurance Co., an independently operated affiliate of UnitedHealth Group….Richard Besser, M.D., was named president and CEO of the Robert Wood Johnson Foundation, a charitable foundation devoted to health and health care. He is a former acting director of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.
- Blue Cross Blue Shield of North Carolina CEO Brad Wilson announced he will retire this year. Wilson took over the top executive job from Bob Greczyn, who retired in 2010….The Blue Cross Blue Shield Association promoted Justine Handelman to head up its Washington, D.C. office. In April, she takes over for Alissa Fox, who now serves as BCBSA’s vice president for legislative and regulatory policy….EPIC Insurance Brokers & Consultants named Adam Frugoli vice president of its health care strategy group. He previously was vice president and insurance broker at the Leavitt Group.
- Cota, Inc. appointed John Hervey CEO, succeeding Eric Schultz, who will assume the role of president. Hervey joined Cota's board of directors in 2013 and joined the executive team in 2016….Longitude Capital promoted Josh Richardson, M.D., to managing director, focusing on investments in biotechnology companies. Richardson originally joined Longitude Capital in 2011 from McKinsey & Company….Medinol named Harvey J. Berger, M.D., executive chairman of Medinol US Inc. He is founder and past chairman and CEO of ARIAD Pharmaceuticals, Inc.
- Centene Corp. appointed former Missouri Attorney General Chris Koster to senior vice president, corporate services….CompuGroup Medical US, Inc. named Benedikt Brueckle CEO. The firm’s current CEO, Werner Rodorff, will continue to serve as chief technology officer. Brueckle previously was an international business consultant and auditor for the accounting firm KPMG in Germany and Luxembourg….AcelRx Pharmaceuticals, Inc. appointed Vincent J. Angotti CEO and a member of the company's board of directors. He most recently served as CEO of XenoPort, Inc. Angotti succeeds Howie Rosen, who will continue on the AcelRx board of directors.
- WellCare of Georgia, a subsidiary of WellCare Health Plans, Inc., named Sonya Nelson state president. She joins WellCare from Amerigroup Louisiana, where she held leadership roles including state president and chief operating officer….Brain Research Foundation said Scott Serota, president and CEO of the Blue Cross Blue Shield Association, joined its board of directors….Infinity Pharmaceuticals, Inc. promoted Vice President, Biology and Translational Science Jeffery Kutok, M.D., to the role of chief scientific officer.
- Horizon Blue Cross Blue Shield of New Jersey named Thomas R. Graf, M.D., vice president and chief medical officer. Graf has served in clinical and administrative leadership roles at Geisinger Health System. Most recently, he was the national director of population health for Chartis Group….America’s Health Insurance Plans appointed Richard A. Bankowitz, M.D., executive vice president for clinical affairs. He joins AHIP from Premier Inc., where he served as chief medical officer….Swift Biosciences hired Candia Brown as vice president of global marketing. Prior to joining Swift, Brown served as director of single-cell genomics at Fluidigm Corp.
- BeWellnm, the New Mexico public health insurance exchange, appointed Cheryl Smith Gardner CEO. She now is executive director of the Arkansas Health Insurance Marketplace. She succeeds interim CEO Linda Wedeen….NxStage Medical, Inc. named Allan Collins, M.D., chief medical officer. Collins already serves as chair of the company's scientific advisory board. He is a professor of medicine at the University of Minnesota and director of the Chronic Research Disease Group…. Texas Biomedical Research Institute appointed Larry Schlesinger, M.D., president and CEO. He is now chair of the Department of Microbial Infection and Immunity and director of the Center for Microbial Interface Biology at Ohio State University.
- The StayWell Company promoted Nicole Latimer to CEO. She succeeds Bill Goldberg, who stepped down after five years with StayWell and its former parent company, MediMedia USA. Latimer joined StayWell in 2016 as president….Myoderm appointed James Lovett chief operating officer. Lovett previously spent 14 years at Covance, where he led three global business units….The Pharmaceutical Research and Manufacturers of America board of directors elected Joaquin Duato, worldwide chairman, pharmaceuticals, Johnson & Johnson, chairman of PhRMA’s board of directors. Joseph Jimenez, CEO, Novartis AG, was selected as chairman-elect and Robert A. Bradway, chairman and CEO, Amgen, was chosen as treasurer.
- PatientPoint named Mike Collette CEO. Collette founded the company and served as its CEO until 2012, when he became chairman of the board of directors….Rockport Healthcare Services appointed Michael Wasserman, M.D. chief medical officer. Wasserman is a geriatrician and an assistant clinical professor at UCLA School of Medicine. He most recently served as executive director, care continuum at Health Services Advisory Group, the Quality Improvement Network for the state of California….MedAvante, Inc. hired Susan Vallow as vice president of Patient eSolutions. Vallows previously was senior director and head of patient focused outcomes at GlaxoSmithKline.
- Immune Pharmaceuticals Inc. appointed Ranch C. Kimball chairman of the board of directors. Kimball previously was CEO of Joslin Diabetes Center. He replaces Daniel Kazado, who will remain as a director….Baptist Health System named Trip Pilgrim CEO. Pilgrim previously held that position held from 2005 to 2009. Current CEO Graham Reeve will assume the title of president and chief operating officer….David Norris, M.D., chairman of the department of dermatology at the University of Colorado School of Medicine, was appointed president of the American Skin Association. He takes over from Philip Prioleau, M.D., who has held the position since 2014.
- HealthONE promoted Ryan Simpson to chief operating officer of Swedish Medical Center. He previously was COO at the Medical Center of Aurora…. MedAvante, Inc. appointed Susan Vallow vice president of Patient eSolutions. She joins MedAvante from GlaxoSmithKline where she was senior director and head of patient focused outcomes…. MC HealthWorks named Sean Annesley a sales director working with its commercial client base. Annesley held sales positions at Novartis, Sanofi US and Oxford Health Plans.
- Independence Health Group, parent of Independence Blue Cross, appointed Gregory E. Deavens chief financial officer. Deavens previously was senior vice president and corporate controller at MassMutual Financial Group….BenefitMall named David Taaffe regional vice president of California, benefits sales, and national head of the Account Services Division. He most recently was senior vice president of business development at LifeMap….WellCare Health Plans, Inc. appointed W. Lee Bowers chief operating officer, Florida. Prior to joining WellCare, he was vice president of national duals, Medicaid and long-term services and supports network for Humana Inc.
- GlaxoSmithKline plc appointed Luke Miels president of global pharmaceuticals. Miels now is executive vice president of AstraZeneca’s European business….The National Association of Insurance Commissioners appointed Al Redmer Jr., commissioner of the Maryland Insurance Administration, chair of NAIC’s Health Insurance and Managed Care (B) Committee. The vice chair is Lori K. Wing-Heier, director of the insurance division at Alaska Department of Commerce, Community and Economic Development….True Health Diagnostics named Robert J. Rossi senior vice president and chief compliance officer. Rossi is a former chief deputy attorney general of Pennsylvania overseeing the state's Medicaid Fraud Unit.
- BlueCross BlueShield of Tennessee promoted Dakasha Winton to the newly created position of chief government relations officer. She will take over duties previously performed by Calvin Anderson, who retired. Winton previously was director of state government relations and associate general counsel….The California Public Employees' Retirement System named Scott Terando chief actuary. He has served as interim chief actuary since the retirement of former Chief Actuary Alan Milligan in September. Prior to that, Terando served as deputy chief actuary…. The National Association of Specialty Pharmacy selected Rebecca Shanahan of Avella Specialty Pharmacy as president and Mike Agostino of Hy-Vee, Inc. as president-elect for 2017.
- John Naylor succeeded Medica’s retiring president and CEO David Tilford. Naylor previously was senior vice president of the Minnesota insurer’s commercial markets division. Tilford, who has led Medica since 2001, will assist with the transition through the end of January. Medica also promoted Paul Crowley to vice president and general manager of commercial markets. He joined the organization in 2013 as vice president and general manager within the commercial markets business unit. Prior to Medica, he worked in the Chicago office of Cigna Corp….Tufts Health Plan named Hyunsook Song vice president of product management and community relations for public plans. Prior to joining Tufts, Song was exchange director at Anthem, Inc. subsidiary Empire BlueCross BlueShield….Mike Kolar was named senior vice president and general counsel at Prime Therapeutics LLC. He previously served as chief legal officer for health care reinsurance start-up MOBE, LLC.
- Humana Inc. promoted Catherine Field to president and Intermountain Region market leader for senior products. She was previously vice president and market leader for senior products for the Intermountain Region, which includes Idaho, Oregon, Utah and Washington….Warren Murrell was promoted to president and CEO of Peoples Health. Murrell, who has served as president and chief operating officer since early 2015, succeeds CEO Carol Solomon, who died in December….John Roberts in February will leave his post as budget director for the state of Michigan to serve as vice president of administration at Blue Cross Blue Shield of Michigan.
- Families USA named Frederick Appel Isasi executive director. He succeeds Ron Pollack, who said last May that he would retire in early 2017. Isasi now is the health division director at the National Governor’s Association Center for Best Practices…. Henry Ford Health System promoted Wright Lassiter, III, to president and CEO. He has served as system president since December 2014, and succeeds Nancy Schlichting, who retired at the end of 2016….CNA promoted Chris Heckman to vice president, hospitals and captives in the company's health care unit. Heckman joined CNA in 2012 as an underwriting consulting director, and most recently served as assistant vice president, industry leader for hospitals.
- Kathleen Connolly was named executive director, Senior Care Options (SCO) and vice president, Special Needs Plans for BMC HealthNet Plan. She most recently served as vice president of sales, marketing and products, public plans division, at Tufts Health Plan….Concordia International Corp. said John Beighton retired from his current role as president of the international segment, effective Jan. 1. Graeme Duncan, the international segment’s managing director, will replace Beighton as president. Beighton will remain with Concordia as a board member of the international segment….The Big Ten Cancer Research Consortium elected Robert Kratzke, M.D., a lung cancer researcher at the Masonic Cancer Center, University of Minnesota and associate professor in the University of Minnesota Medical School's Department of Medicine, as the inaugural chair of its steering committee.
- Neurocrine Biosciences, Inc. said Chief Financial Officer Timothy P. Coughlin will step down from his position in mid-February. The company’s board has initiated a replacement search and Coughlin has agreed to continue with the company through 2017 to aid in the transition….Independent Living Systems said it named Bryan Herbert vice president of sales covering the Southeast and Central markets and Korinne Bigelsen vice president of sales covering the Northeast market. Herbert previously served as the regional vice president of sales for DST Health Solutions and Bigelsen served as vice president of sales for MagnaCare.
- The Community Oncology Alliance said Jeffrey Vacirca, M.D., FACP, CEO and managing partner/director of clinical research at New York Cancer Specialists, was elected president of the alliance for a one-year term starting Jan. 1, 2017….BridgeHealth appointed Maria McAfee vice president, labor and government. She previously has worked closely with Taft-Hartley and public sector groups across the country for companies including MaxorPlus and Catamaran….Prime Therapeutics LLC said John Drakulich has rejoined the company as chief sales officer. He had served as Prime’s vice president of sales and market development from 1997 to 2000. Most recently, he worked as senior vice president of business development at OptumRx, and has also held senior sales leadership roles with Anthem and Wellpoint NextRx.
- The American Clinical Laboratory Association promoted Executive Vice President Julie Khani to president. She will succeed outgoing president Alan Mertz, who is retiring but will continue to serve the association in a key advisory role…. BioDelivery Sciences International, Inc. named Peter Ginsberg vice president of business development. He most recently headed business development for United Therapeutics….Medac Pharma, Inc. appointed Kevin O'Brien as vice president of sales. He previously served as senior national sales director for Sobi, Inc.