October 20, 2014
You must be a registered user on AISHealth.com to access the stories below. If you haven't yet registered, please take a minute to register now, and get access to thousands of articles, blogs, Today from Washington postings and more.
(1) HHS Sec. Sylvia Burwell spent much of an Oct. 9 press conference discussing the two biggest issues facing her office — the Ebola virus and the upcoming open-enrollment period for public insurance exchanges .... (more)
(2) A Yonkers, N.Y., cardiologist was sentenced to three years in prison and ordered to pay $2 million in connection with his June guilty plea for health care fraud .... (more)
(3) California’s state-run exchange, Covered California, has awarded $184 million in contracts without bidding or oversight .... (more)
(4) CMS on Oct. 15 released details of how public exchange enrollees can renew their policies for the 2015 plan year .... (more)
(5) A federal judge in Oklahoma blocked an IRS rule that allows the use of subsidies in federal insurance exchanges, saying the language of the ACA directs the tax credits to state-run exchanges only .... (more)
(6) The FDA approved another hepatitis C drug from Gilead Sciences Inc., the maker of Sovaldi .... (more)
(7) Mission Hospital in Asheville, N.C., was overpaid $443,183 during 2011 and 2012 .... (more)
(8) A team of Republican senators petitioned Speaker of the House John Boehner (R-Ohio) to disallow additional appropriations for the Affordable Care Act’s (ACA) risk corridors program .... (more)
(9) California Gov. Jerry Brown (D) on Sept. 25 signed into law a measure (Senate Bill 1052) that requires the state public exchange, Covered California, to build an online search tool to compare health plans’ cost and coverage of certain drugs .... (more)
(10) Obama administration rules allow large employers to offer 2015 health plans to workers that do not include hospital benefits .... (more)
(11) Medical Business Service, Inc., agreed to pay $1.95 million to settle false claims allegations that it changed diagnosis codes on claims submitted on behalf of radiologists to ensure they would be paid .... (more)
(12) Thirty-five state Medicaid programs require prior authorization for hepatitis C drug Sovaldi and several states mandate eligible patients to meet a set of clinical or clinical-related criteria for prior authorization .... (more)
Content questions or suggestions should be directed to Executive Editor Jill Brown at firstname.lastname@example.org. If you are interested in sponsoring GOVERNMENT NEWS OF THE WEEK please contact Bailey Sterrett at email@example.com.
GOVERNMENT NEWS OF THE WEEK is copyrighted and protected by federal law. The re-use of its content is restricted (see below). However, you are permitted to forward this email to as many of your friends and colleagues as you wish, or better yet have them sign up for their own copy at http://www.magnetmail.net/actions/ atlantic_subscription.cfm, where you can also sign up for AIS's Health Business Daily and Spotlight on Health Insurers.
Copyright © 2014 Atlantic Information Services, Inc. (AIS). All rights reserved. It is not permissible to include all or any portion of this content on any Web site, intranet or electronic network or in any print publication, without AIS's written permission in advance. Permission requests should be directed to firstname.lastname@example.org.